What is the world even doing to fight HIV/AIDS? Watch

Millie-3
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Very Christmas-y, I know. But it recently struck me how selfishly we use this virus. I mean we sell a couple of red iPods here and there, stick a sad transmission story on Fb and sit back in glee of the fact that we probably won't have to deal with this pprblem ourselves. You are welcome to defend such actions and how they will change the world down below, when in fact, this very over confident attitude leads to further spread in the western world where we have all the awareness, all the sex ed we need.

I don't mean scientists sitting up in Harvard and Cambridge, looking at blood samples under microscopes. I mean, I admire them dedicating their lives to finding a cure, but in someways, they are all hoping to become "that guy/gal who cured the world of HIV".

So, please give me back my faith in humanity, and tell me, what are we doing to fight HIV and AIDS?
...imrah
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
nothing
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Spending 20 billion or more annually on drug research.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Millie-3)
Very Christmas-y, I know. But it recently struck me how selfishly we use this virus. I mean we sell a couple of red iPods here and there, stick a sad transmission story on Fb and sit back in glee of the fact that we probably won't have to deal with this pprblem ourselves. You are welcome to defend such actions and how they will change the world down below, when in fact, this very over confident attitude leads to further spread in the western world where we have all the awareness, all the sex ed we need.

I don't mean scientists sitting up in Harvard and Cambridge, looking at blood samples under microscopes. I mean, I admire them dedicating their lives to finding a cure, but in someways, they are all hoping to become "that guy/gal who cured the world of HIV".

So, please give me back my faith in humanity, and tell me, what are we doing to fight HIV and AIDS?
Millions are being spent on educating people. It's a disease that can be eradicated over night, but stupidity means it's still with us.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Would it not be money better spent on mass screening to identify those with the disease
Dr Pesto
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A good deal more than we were 30 years ago. Are you not aware of how much progress has been made regarding education about and treatment of this disease?
yasaminO_o
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

It's quite old news now but it made me happy that the stigma surrounding people with HIV is starting to break
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Would it not be money better spent on mass screening to identify those with the disease
Better to develop a cure. The numbers of people with hiv are fairly small. New drugs also can stop it spreading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Better to develop a cure. The numbers of people with hiv are fairly small. New drugs also can stop it spreading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bagging up stops it spreading.
Millie-3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aj12)
By who? Could you cite sources if you don't mind? And also, I would argue that pharmaceuticals are delaying the development of cures simply because they'll make more money from a spreading disease with millions wanting at least short term relief than spending a lot of money to find a cure which would lead to eradication of the virus, killing the golden goose.
Millie-3
Rep:
?
Millions are being spent on educating people. It's a disease that can be eradicated over night, but stupidity means it's still with us.
You seem to have a strong opinion there! Can you elaborate? Who are these educators? Where (since this is a global problem) and how are they educating the masses? Is this from an article you read?
Millie-3
Rep:
?
What would that achieve? Beyond potential isolation of course, since the label has lead to much discrimination. You can't stop infected people from living with ordinary society or even from having (protected) sex with others as per the Disability Act.
Millie-3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dr Pesto)
A good deal more than we were 30 years ago. Are you not aware of how much progress has been made regarding education about and treatment of this disease?
Er...no. What progress is this? Please do share your knowledge, we'd all love to know and I genuinely want to be acquainted with these progresses. What are they? Do you have articles? Sources?
Millie-3
Rep:
?
(Original post by yasaminO_o)

It's quite old news now but it made me happy that the stigma surrounding people with HIV is starting to break
Oh I loved this video!! I remember being so touched by the little girl...feels man, feels 😭
NoDadNotTonight
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Er...no. What progress is this? Please do share your knowledge, we'd all love to know and I genuinely want to be acquainted with these progresses. What are they? Do you have articles? Sources?
I wasn't alive 30 years ago but HIV/AIDS used to be called the "gay disease" and was extemely stigmatised, much like homosexuality itself. Now it's far less of a taboo and we're actively spending millions on a cure. It's only until quite recently when people started to understand that you could get it without being gay.

In terms of developped support for HIV/AIDS sufferers, how can you be so ignorant?

http://www.worldaidsday.org/

Millie-3
Rep:
?
(Original post by NoDadNotTonight)
I wasn't alive 30 years ago but HIV/AIDS used to be called the "gay disease" and was extemely stigmatised, much like homosexuality itself. Now it's far less of a taboo and we're actively spending millions on a cure. It's only until quite recently when people started to understand that you could get it without being gay.

In terms of developped support for HIV/AIDS sufferers, how can you be so ignorant?

http://www.worldaidsday.org/
Well, a, I appreciate the struggle that gay people and sufferers have had to put up with and how at least we can be more open minded now, but that's not what the thread is about really. I'm coming at it from an academic's point of view and all I see is that someone opened Pandora's box, unleashed a horrifying, painful disease onto the people and we've just been caught two steps behind since. What are we doing to move past the disease, not adjust to it?

And also I made the thread, innit mate. Clearly I wanna get to know more about it all and I'm willing to call out for help from you lot. I'd appreciate a little less of the patronising attitude.
NoDadNotTonight
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well, a, I appreciate the struggle that gay people and sufferers have had to put up with and how at least we can be more open minded now, but that's not what the thread is about really. I'm coming at it from an academic's point of view and all I see is that someone opened Pandora's box, unleashed a horrifying, painful disease onto the people and we've just been caught two steps behind since. What are we doing to move past the disease, not adjust to it?

And also I made the thread, innit mate. Clearly I wanna get to know more about it all and I'm willing to call out for help from you lot. I'd appreciate a little less of the patronising attitude.
Whatever.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You seem to have a strong opinion there! Can you elaborate? Who are these educators? Where (since this is a global problem) and how are they educating the masses? Is this from an article you read?
AIDS awareness does happen. It happens in schools, on radio, television etc.

How many people do you know who drink toilet water or bleach? Do many people see a big dog poo at the side of the road and think, 'I'll eat that.' They don't because they've been taught not to .
TheThiefOfBagdad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think, as a species, we have much bigger fish to fry, namely antimicrobial resistance.
Philbert
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
I think, as a species, we have much bigger fish to fry, namely antimicrobial resistance.
This, tbh, it's frightening how few people seem to care about it. There has been a steady stream of funding into HIV research since the epidemic started, while no new classes of gram-negative antibiotics have been discovered for over 40 years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (109)
17.3%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.46%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (188)
29.84%

Watched Threads