The Student Room Group

Which is the most annoying Christmas song?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Goaded
All of them!!! Hate Christmas music. Tho I love Christmas.

Tbh I do actually like some Christmas songs...

:h:
I put do they know it's christmas, as that just is annoying.
Jingle Bells annoys me because it's not a christmas song.
I don't like 'While shepherds watched their flocks by night', mainly because if I'm not singing the wrong words, I'm singing to the tune of sweet bells, and it drives me mad.
I don't like away in a manger or silent night, because they sound terrible, no matter how good you are at singing. Same goes for little donkey. And they don't have descants.

Okay that's probably it for ones I don't like.
I really like most christmas songs (despite what the above suggests...)
I don't understand how people don't like Fairytale of New York. You get to swear at people and noone cares...
But my favourite christmas song is 'Song for Ten', the Tim Phillips version, just because Doctor Who.
I'm going to stop talking now.
maria carrey's "all I want for christmas is you" - it's an awful song that reminds me of being too poor to actually afford a proper christmas

"I wish it could be christmas everyday" is a great song - that's my favourite christmas song, even. I don't know why that's there in the poll
maybe slade's "merry christmas" could be an acceptable poll choice because I find the vocals annoying, but not wizzard. never wizzard.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by goldie56
Just play In the Light by Led Zeppelin, it's got a great wintry feel.

I'll get back to you on that
All Christmas songs are equally annoying in my opinion
Reply 25
I've gotta wonder if the people who find Fairytale of New York depressing have missed the lyrics and video to Do They Know It's Christmas. I like to think I'd manage fine without that yearly guilt trip.
I chose 'other' because I mostly focus my hate on the crappy cover versions of the classics. The amount of times I have to hear any Christmas song at work, and it's usually the covers, or the really annoying yet catchy song.

Also, the snowman does NOT bring the snow. The snowman is MADE of snow.
They are all annoying. "Do they know its christmas time at all" in particular not only because its an annoying chistmas tune but also because I believe the message it preaches is wrong (all cultures must celebrate christian holiday etc etc) / People in poor countries should celebrate consumerist holidays.

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the name = The only acceptable christmas song!
(edited 8 years ago)
After having spent a good portion of 4 weeks doing shifts in a store with "Do they know it's Christmas?" playing above my head, I can positively say it's the only Christmas song I hate with a passion. The first time I heard it, I was struck by just how santimoniously ignorant it came across - "those people over there in those dirt-poor countries that we ****ed over - don't they know it's Christmas!? Why aren't they being happy!?"

EDIT: Tbf, I've never looked up the lyrics, and when you hear songs on a shop floor, pretty much the only thing that comes through is the chorus, which is all I've based my opinion on. Looking at the rest of the lyrics now, the rest of the song seems to contain less of that sentiment.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Goaded
All of them!!! Hate Christmas music. Tho I love Christmas.

You won't hate this one

[video]https://youtu.be/ihW56Xa3XGQ?list=PL581B5D4AA8A4B 499[/video]
Original post by Drunk Punx
Your lack of appreciation for The Pogues is depressing. Besides, understanding Shane is really easy compared to other songs :lol:

Oh sorry but christmas is ment to be a happy time of year and even though it's got a happyish meaning it's a bit boring and has a sad tone to it
Original post by Goaded
I'll get back to you on that

So yay or nay?
Original post by Leviathan1741
All Christmas songs are equally annoying in my opinion

:awesome:
Reply 33
All I want for Christmas is you
Annoying, overplayed, overrated. Just an awful song really. Throw up every time I hear it xD

And idk how people can find I wish it could be Christmas every day annoying, it's so great :sad:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
So yay or nay?

I've been playing wii sports this whole time hahaha
Original post by Goaded
I've been playing wii sports this whole time hahaha

Time to get the Led out lass
Reply 36
Time to get the Led out lass

After my Chinese
Original post by Goaded
After my Chinese

:frown: Welp now I'm hungry
Reply 38
:frown: Welp now I'm hungry

It's my favourite takeaway:h:
Reply 39
Shakin' Stevens, **** I hate that song :angry:

Wizzard comes a pretty close second though, fair play to the artists who managed to write songs that are still heard every Christmas decades later and they must rake it in every year, but I'm sick of most of them, there should be a rule that once a Christmas song is more than 20 years old it's banned and never played again so we don't have to hear them every year and get sick of them!

I'm even sick of the Pogues now as well cause it's so overplayed at this time of year, it used to be my favourite...
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest