Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what as levels r every1 doing? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Hmm, for medicine, I'd say only do it if you know you can handle the pressure and still get top grades. Medicine is insanely competitive and I think good unis would prefer an applicant with 4 As at AS than 5 Bs. Graphics also won't contribute a lot to a medical application, although if it's something you love that shouldn't stop you as the rest of your subjects sound good. It's basically down to whether you think it'll be worth the extra work.

I did Philosophy AS in Year 12 and then Politics AS in Year 13, so I only ever had 4 on the go at one time. Politics this year definitely did suffer though - it didn't form part of my uni offers, so right up until the week before the exam, I just let it slide, which isn't a good thing to do. It's all down to whether you think you can get the balance right. Good luck whatever you decide!
    thanx, yh, medicine is very competitive. I'll talk to a a few teachers.
    thanx again
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, for medicine, I'd say only do it if you know you can handle the pressure and still get top grades. Medicine is insanely competitive and I think good unis would prefer an applicant with 4 As at AS than 5 Bs. Graphics also won't contribute a lot to a medical application, although if it's something you love that shouldn't stop you as the rest of your subjects sound good. It's basically down to whether you think it'll be worth the extra work.
    Yeh, medicine is seriously competitive and only a few applicants are accepted out of the hundreds that apply. I am not certain what I want to go into. Medicine is one of the things I am considering, but I've tried to keep my options open. So I am going to do Biology, Chemistry, French and Art. I've had a look at the university websites and it seems that Biology and Chemistry would be acceptable to get in. I am really not keen to do Maths or Physics, but if I have to do one of these at AS then I would. I really want to keep Art, because it's like a "creative punchbag," plus I got 90% and an A* in my mock, so I'm quite good at it. French: a bit bizarre but adds a bit of spice and originality, plus I'm quite strong at it. Biology and Chemistry: always impressive if you get an A.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing:
    Modern History
    Government and politics
    Biology
    Psycology

Im still not 100% sure what i want to do afterwards, but it will probably be either History or Law, provided i work hard :rolleyes: Is this a good choice for either law or history?

ReputationRep:
    Good choice of subjects! As for law vs. geology, do you have any ideas what you what to do at university or career-wise?
    I am not entierly sure but am thinking of physio, dietics or nursing. Any ideas for which one to keep now?

Lou
    xxx

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    my school sucks, it has a really limited number of options and then the option choices restrict you even more!

i wanted to do maths, geography, pe, ict, but the pattern means i cannot do this! This was after not being provided with an option of psychology or classical civilisation

considering we have a large 6th form of about 130 pupils per year it is poor at the small selection of subjects we have.

when i get my gcse results, i will have to make up my mind then on what subjects i will have to do, to fit in with the options.

ReputationRep:
    pure maths & computing...
    gonna do f. maths or statistics & economics as next year.....

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing English Lit, Geography and Law (did AS Business) and I'm doing Law at uni in sept. ADVICE: Don't do english lit if you really, and i mean really, like reading and books!! (I hated it despite getting an A!)

ReputationRep:
    anyone done geology? whats it like?

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    i do maths, further maths, physics, chemistry (self-taught) and german (+general studies) which i suppose is 6

ReputationRep:
    maths biology chemistry art, not too sure what i wanna do maybe optometry

(Original post by maz_superstar)
    Well I start my As levels in september and I'm definatly doing History and Religious studies,and probably sociology but im not sure yet of what my 4th subject is going to be.
    I've nearly made up my mind on the 4th subject either English or philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm gonna do Bio, Chem, English and French ... not 100% sure thought yet. I'm also considering German and History as possible options but I'm not sure in place of which subject. Oh yeah and we have to do General Studies.

ReputationRep:
    i'm gonna do five ASs next year; french, chemistry, biology, economics and geography

ReputationRep:
    History (European)
    English Literature
    Philosophy
    Economics
    General Studies

Plan to take the first three to A2 but wont know till I start taking the courses for certain.

ReputationRep:

I did Philosophy AS in Year 12 and then Politics AS in Year 13, so I only ever had 4 on the go at one time. Politics this year definitely did suffer though - it didn't form part of my uni offers, so right up until the week before the exam, I just let it slide, which isn't a good thing to do. It's all down to whether you think you can get the balance right. Good luck whatever you decide!
    How did you find Philosophy at AS? Im quite excited about it at the moment since ive studied it a little in my own time, which modules did you do?

ReputationRep:
    I m doin

maths,
    f maths,
    biology,
    physics,
    chem

at AS but the f maths is over 2 years as i have no teacher Anyways i was gonna do 6 AS because i was initially gonna do Urdu as well but after looking at a past paper and taking 1 hr to read a sentence i soon got put into place.

btw i wanna do med.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adil Bhai)
    I m doin

maths,
    f maths,
    biology,
    physics,
    chem

at AS but the f maths is over 2 years as i have no teacher Anyways i was gonna do 6 AS because i was initially gonna do Urdu as well but after looking at a past paper and taking 1 hr to read a sentence i soon got put into place.

btw i wanna do med.
    Those are good for medicine though I would suggest as Physics isnt needed for medcine you replace it or further maths (again not needed) with an essay subject.

ReputationRep:
    someone please look at my choices and reply!! Physio with biology, chemistry, geology and english lit!!! Are they ok?

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hey... I thought I was under pressure, but there are other people doing 5A levels and general studies!?

Lol... Im the only one at my college who is... I personally like my subject choices and think they show diversity and many qualities... I want to go into physics... could a physicist, or someone who knows about what universities look for tell me whether I should adjust anything going into my A2 year...

Maths...
    Chemistry...
    Physics...
    History...(self taught)
    English Literature...

General Studies...

I wanted to pick up further maths, to prepare me for a possible NATSCI course at cambridge or to apply for a masters degree at Duhram, havent decided which id prefer yet... So, any advice?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.