English Literature AQA A level. Watch

jojot99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Okay so I'm in my first year at college , it's going pretty well . In English Literature we have been assigned an essay and I really would like a good mark (I don't mean to come across pretentious) , I didn't do very well at GCSE (I got a C) but that's all over now and I want to start fresh. We are studying Atonement and The Great Gatsby and looking at love through the ages which is our theme. I was wondering if you read my essay I wrote and could give me feedback . Much appreciated .

.“Women characters are presented primarily as those who suffer and endure”. By comparing two prose text, explore to the extent to which you agree with the statement.

In “The Great Gatsby” wrote by F. Scott Fitzgerald and“Atonement” wrote by Ian McEwan, they both portray women to primarily suffer and endure through; Daisy; Emily and Cecilia. However, one could agree that women primarily suffer more than they endure.Both writes focus on the women to suffer and endure through the contrasting yet similar characters of Emily and Daisy and their enduring marriages. In “Atonement” Emily Tallis suffers from the loss of her enduring marriage, “[when Emily calls up her husband Jack Tallis] who would have forgot to tell her he was not coming home”, McEwan seems to portray Emily’s enduring marriage to be dysfunctional and fragmented, similar to “The Great Gatsby’s”narration style. The vase breaking seems to be symbolic of their dysfunctional marriage, “a section of the lip of the vase came away in his hands”. The fact the lip came away in “his hands” implies Jack and Emily’s marriage is slipping out of Emily’s grasp thus, evoking Emily to suffer. Similarly, to “The Great Gatsby” Daisy suffers from the loss of her enduring marriage with Tom Buchanan,“[when Tom invites Nick to the valley of ashes] I want you to meet my girl”.The fact Tom calls his mistress “my girl” shows the lack of respect Tom has for Daisy. Tom holds patriarchal values which coincide with his arrogant persona,allowing him to believe the affair is morally right and is inconsiderate of Daisy’s emotional suffering. The affair is enduring until Daisy’s emotional state of mind which initiates her impetuous actions which lead to Myrtles death, similar to Cecilia’s fiery impetuous persona in “Atonement”. One could say Daisy deserves the suffering of her loss in her enduring marriage due to her unfaithfulness with Tom, “[Daisy admits to Gatsby she loves him and Tom] I did love him once- but I loved you too”. In contrast Emily was faithful to her husband Jack Tallis which seem to question our views as the reader if Emily deserves the emotional suffering caused by the loss of her enduring marriage.Fitzgerald and McEwan portray women to primarily suffer and endure to be heartbreaking and devastating thus, eliciting empathy to be felt from the reader.

Similarly, both novels focus on the women to suffer through the contrasting yet similar characters of Emily and Daisy and their absent roles of being a mother. In “Atonement” Emily Tallis suffers from watching her family shatter and drift apart. This is clearly shown when Emily agrees with Robbie’s prosecution and Cecilia cuts the connection off with her Family whilst Briony trains in London to be a nurse, “[ When Emily discusses about her perception of Robbie she says] She liked [Robbie] well enough… But really, he was a hobby of Jack’s, living proof…” The fact Emily “Liked Robbie well enough”creates a sense of bitterness, one could say Emily is bitter and envious of Robbie and is glad he has been prosecuted as she clearly knew Robbie and Cecilia would plan a future together creating her family to become drifted and shattered thus, creating Emily to suffer. Homogenously, in “The Great Gatsby”Daisy suffers from being an absent mother due to the era of the time womanwould have maids to look after their children, “[when Daisy is describing herdaughter to Nick] … that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, abeautiful little fool”. Daisy knows how women are treated in a patriarchalsociety which the novel takes place in and wishes for her daughter to endureand perpetuate a traditional marriage. Similar to “Atonement”, Emily holds thisbelief towards her two daughters Cecilia and Briony. However, in contrast toDaisy, Emily is depicted to be resentful and critical of her daughter Cecilia,“[Cecilia came home disappointed with her finals’ result] the nerve of the girlto be disappointed with it!” The explanation mark creates an emphasis of herbitter scorn towards Cecilia evoking the reader to feel tense. Fitzgerald andMcEwan portray women who primarily suffer to be catastrophic thus, engenderingtension to be felt from the reader.

Overall I agree with the statement however, I believe primarily the women portrayed in “Atonement” and “The Great Gatsby” suffer more than they endure. Lola suffers from her upbringing as she has to project a maternal persona to her two younger siblings due to a lack of familial love,”[Lola wraps her arm around Pierrot for comfort] her arm was much thinner and lighter than his mothers and Pierrot began to sob”. Jordan suffers from being subordinate and a rejection from Nick due to her moral inadequacy and indifference's. Similarly, we can infer that Hermione suffers from her enduring marriage however, our perception of Hermione is filtered and shaped through Emily’s Tallis patriarchal bitter view. However, one could say it is not just the women who suffer and endure, male characters do to. In “Atonement” Robbie is punished for Briony’s lie by suffering and enduring through the war which consequently led to Robbie’s death. Similar to Robbie, in “The Great Gatsby”Gatsby meets a tragic fate which one could say was his atonement for his bootlegging which was tabooed in the 1920’s. McEwan and Fitzgerald present women characters primarily as those who suffer and endure.
Kholmes1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You need to use paragraphs.
jojot99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Kholmes1)
You need to use paragraphs.
I did use paragraphs, my laptop messed up and put the whole text together.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.13%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.74%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
18.97%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
15.13%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.03%
How can I be the best version of myself? (117)
30%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise