Opinion on Electric cars Watch

BMWM3
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys,
As a fellow petrolhead I decided to take on a project to determine whether electric cars would be suitable as a majority source of energy for cars in comparison to other sources of energy (Petrol, diesel, hybrids)
So i have a couple of questions i would like you guys to answer to use in my project (if you have the time). The answers do not have to be lengthy.

1. At this moment in time what source of energy would you like your car to run off?
2. Why?? (Why not electricity or why electricity)
3. In 2050 what source of energy would you like your car to run off? (finite resources almost out - petrol and diesel prices super high)
4. What do you like about electric cars
5. What do you not like about electric cars

Cheers Guys
Merry Christmas
jamesthehustler
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
petrol
easier to get currently
electric/hybrid like the mclaren p1
mclaren p1
toyota prius
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Electric cars are stupid. They have a limited range and take far too long to fuel up compared to conventional engines.
The real future is hydrogen. It's easy to produce and is infact produced by a lot of current industrial processes.
The technology exists, as does the infrastructure and the only "waste" produced is water.
It'll never happen until the oil industry is dead, though... too much money to be made!
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Electric cars are impractical. And no-one can argue with that.
BMWM3
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks for the reply
(Original post by Cpt. Josh)
1. Diesel.
2. Because it's the most viable source of power without having a car that looks like a dildo.
3. Fusions. Inb4 the fusion deniers who haven't got a clue what they're talking about- we will almost certainly have efficient fusion power by then, one example off the top of my head- a deuterium-fuelled Farnsworth-Hirsch fusion reactor.
4. I don't.
5. Literally every electric car I know of (bar a couple of Lotuses) is **** ugly, has ridiculously inefficient power consumption and is just plain wrong.
josejuan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nowadays, electric cars have improved a lot.

My preferences are

1-Plug-in hybrid
2-Hybrid
3-Electric (prices has gone down)
4-Petrol
5-Diesel (Anti-pollution systems break much)
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BMWM3)
1. At this moment in time what source of energy would you like your car to run off?
Petrol or other liquid fuel, such as ethanol or rapeseed oil.

(Original post by BMWM3)
2. Why?? (Why not electricity or why electricity)
Cheap to produce (both fuel and engines), good refueling infrastructure.

(Original post by BMWM3)
3. In 2050 what source of energy would you like your car to run off? (finite resources almost out - petrol and diesel prices super high)
Electricity, but I would like to have an entertainment car, which probably will be powered by ethanol or syntetic subistitute of petrol.

(Original post by BMWM3)
4. What do you like about electric cars
Simple, durable, reliable, quiet, easy to drive,

(Original post by BMWM3)
5. What do you not like about electric cars
High prices, high costs of battery replacement, big weight. Short range and long time of reload do not bother me that much.
One remark that I must make, I believe that quite equal levels of welfare all around the world are possible only if people resing from such a high consumption, including the fact that almost anyone in the western world has a car now.
Virtually, if there was the same standard of living in every country, it should be much simplier that what do we have now.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Alexion)
Electric cars are impractical. And no-one can argue with that.
It depends how you define impractical. If like me, (and I reckon I am in a majority) you just need a car to commute 20 miles to work and back every day and perhaps something to get you to the supermarket and back and pick the kids up, then they are exceedingly practical. In fact today, I was overtaken by a BMW i3 going at about 80mph!

Not everyone burns 600 miles in the weekend visiting friends and family. And if you have a small runabout, infrequent long journeys are often cheaper and easier using the train / bus.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (7)
12.5%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (4)
7.14%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (2)