Any non-Christians celebrating Christmas? Watch

Galaxy Lord
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I consider myself to be atheist but I'm celebrating Christmas simply due to the fact everybody around me is. I feel like I should give gifts back also. Not that I dislike Christmas. I actually love it. I like hearing to Christmas songs too.
I went to church of England schools for primary and secondary education so I do carry some Christian values and I used to pray. My Sikh friend is also celebrating Christmas and stuck a tree in her living room.

It's interesting to see that it's something embedded in our British culture.

I'm just wondering what everyone is doing on Christmas Day.
I'm just having a turkey dinner with the family and working on my portfolio and coursework as well as opening gifts.
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm atheist and I'm celebrating Christmas too. For me and my family, Christmas has never been a religious celebration, we focus on making and sharing a nice meal, spending time together and giving each other presents
childofthesun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My family are Muslim and we sort of celebrate it
User008
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yep! Agnostic person right here
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes. It's a great excuse to drink some quality whisky and lay down a few extra layers of body fat for the harsh months ahead.
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am , hindu family but we love christmas
Betelgeuse-
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Galaxy Lord)
I consider myself to be atheist but I'm celebrating Christmas simply due to the fact everybody around me is. I feel like I should give gifts back also. Not that I dislike Christmas. I actually love it. I like hearing to Christmas songs too.
I went to church of England schools for primary and secondary education so I do carry some Christian values and I used to pray. My Sikh friend is also celebrating Christmas and stuck a tree in her living room.

I'm just having a turkey dinner with the family and working on my portfolio and coursework as well as opening gifts.
Yes atheist but absoloutely love Christmas hymns / church choirs. Absolutely beautiful music and just reminds me of my childhood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm3xkiwC3Ao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFPM-9u80E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kHH6LJpEbQ

BEAUTIFUL
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Christmas is not a Christian festival, it was adopted by Christians from earlier festivals especially in northern regions. In more temperate regions like the middle east, Easter is much more important.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Galaxy Lord)

My family are Jewish, and we say that 'we're enjoying Christmas, not celebrating it'.

We appreciate it's cultural significance here and feel as if we may as well join in; so we do!
Odium
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As a muslim i do nothing except hope for snow

Doesn't seem like its happening though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pro Crastination
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Apathetic agnostic. I'm not going to say no to a holiday, even if its basis is centres around sky fairies.
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I dont think many celebrate it now adays have jesus in their minds so its ok <3
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am a Loyal Protestant and I can't be bothered with Christmas. It is a joke and has nothing to do with religion anymore. Easter is better. I would rather Christmas just went away and my life wasn't disturbed by it.
...imrah
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hardly any religious people celeberate christmas anyway it's become more of a tradition thn a religious practice so does it really matter?
Kholmes1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh my.. Christmas is not a christian event, its pagan I think. Im agnostic/ atheist and I celebrate it. My dad however is a christian and he doesn't, hes against it. However I think he uses it as an excuse not to buy presents. Cause he thinks Jesus was born in september or something.
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
pretty much my entire family are atheists (or otherwise irreligious) and we celebrate it :awesome:

it's just not a religious thing anymore. Strange that the pretence that it is still exists.
Katty3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kholmes1)
Oh my.. Christmas is not a christian event, its pagan I think. Im agnostic/ atheist and I celebrate it. My dad however is a christian and he doesn't, hes against it. However I think he uses it as an excuse not to buy presents. Cause he thinks Jesus was born in september or something.
Nobody knows when Christ was born. It is a Christian festival however. It's meaning is based on the story of the birth of Christ.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kholmes1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Katty3)
Nobody knows when Christ was born. It is a Christian festival however. It's meaning is based on the story of the birth of Christ.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its not actually christian though. Its pagan. Some christians might celebrate it because they think thats when Jesus was born. But its not.
Katty3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kholmes1)
Its not actually christian though. Its pagan. Some christians might celebrate it because they think thats when Jesus was born. But its not.
It replaced an old pagan tradition in terms of the time it takes place, but it is about the birth of Christ. That's why it's called CHRISTmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kholmes1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Katty3)
It replaced an old pagan tradition in terms of the time it takes place, but it is about the birth of Christ. That's why it's called CHRISTmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes so its pagan. Im not religious but he wasn't born on christmas day. Some christians just believe that which is why its called christmas. But its false. Well I say that but obviously i cant be certain. And im also not religous. But all I know is that my dad goes to some holiday in september/pctober. Which they believe when he was actually born. I personally don't believe it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.12%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.93%
No I am happy with my course choice (390)
56.93%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.01%

Watched Threads