jessicasulty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This might sound like a really dumb question and I understand what's known as "hard" can be relative. But I just wanted some insight, is it something that you have to "naturally" be good at maths to do well in? Is there a lot of work? Currently at GCSE data handling is probably one of the subjects I don't enjoy doing at all, I prefer topics like trig and bearings and all that. Should I be worried about this?

(Right now I'm in year 11 on a high B in maths and I'm predicted an A)
cookiemonster15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jessicasulty)
This might sound like a really dumb question and I understand what's known as "hard" can be relative. But I just wanted some insight, is it something that you have to "naturally" be good at maths to do well in? Is there a lot of work? Currently at GCSE data handling is probably one of the subjects I don't enjoy doing at all, I prefer topics like trig and bearings and all that. Should I be worried about this?

No. I had never really properly done stats before A level and I ended up really enjoying it in the end As long as you put the work in to try and understand, you should be fine
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago

Generally depends on preference. I find it hard due to the fact I'm not really interested in the topics on S1 in particular, which really puts me off greatly. S2 and above are pretty interesting.

You definitely don't have to be naturally good at maths to do well in it, the same with other subjects. Regardless of how smart you are, you have to practice.
TianaEsther
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't say it's hard per se, maths in general can either come easy to you or not. I'm not finding it too difficult (quite some memorisation here and there) but I am definitely finding it boring
Espero247
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did stats last year. It was hard to understand and some of the topics are still a complete mystery to me.. But I managed to get an A Just dont be put off if you don't completely understand something.. Also I did every past paper, most of them twice.. So I found practice definitely makes perfect with stats. Good luckkk
Azula
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some people find it really difficult and others are a bit better at it by nature. For me I wasn't particularly amazing at it but it is something you can definitely become good at through practise and revision guides
tcameron
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OCR statistics is the worst. Other exam boards are ok.

Got to say everyone hated stats in my sixth form. But I think it's just because OCR stats is so nasty
MevMev
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tcameron)

Got to say everyone hated stats in my sixth form. But I think it's just because OCR stats is so nasty
I Second this- ended up getting a shocking grade in stats compared to the other two units in AS
Azula
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MevMev)
I Second this- ended up getting a shocking grade in stats compared to the other two units in AS
OCR MEI or just OCR?
tcameron
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MevMev)
Yep same. I did GCSE stats and so thought it would be ok then did terribly compared to C1 and 2.
Very few people I know got A's in stats.
jessicasulty
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago

What makes it so bad?
tcameron
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What makes it so bad?
No other exam board has to endure the pain of Permutations and Combinations and the disgusting Probabilty quesitons.

And the past papers from 2013 onwards just jumped in scale of difficulty compared to the ones before 2012. So very few relevant practice. Safe to say I gave up wholly with stats before the exam and it reflected on my grade...
ferdos
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
in terms of content, stat doesn't have as much as core maths. however, stats tests you quite a bit on your literal skills. i felt like i was being tested on my English last year, when i took up As stats.
but most people do better in stats than they do in core maths. in comarison to mechanics, it's a lot easier and a lot less to learn
ferdos
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

you can't really compare ocr stats to other exam boards....
it's not as if you've taken AQA and EDEXEL ect

all the exam boards have they're advantages and disadvantages but ultimately, the grade you get at the end has the same worth as someone else's
ferdos
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep same. I did GCSE stats and so thought it would be ok then did terribly compared to C1 and 2.
Very few people I know got A's in stats.
really? i'm actually surprised. most people in my college did better in stats.
it's so tedious when stats your lowest marked paper, especially if you want to retake.. you'd have to go through factorials and PMCCs **shivers**
mice8cheese
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing MEI (in Y13 now) and got A in S1, C in C1 and an E in C2, having got an A* at GCSE (and C at FSMQ additional maths).
The maths in S1 isn't hard, it's just a case of getting your head round why you are doing things. If you struggle with probability, it might be quite difficult for you, as that is a large amount of stats. I did Maths w/ stats because I am doing Biology and Chemistry (hopefully doing Biology at uni next year) and statistics supports biology quite well.
I found the maths in C2 was much harder than in S1, as you are actually learning new stuff in C2, whereas stats is just new applications of math you already know.
tcameron
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ferdos)
really? i'm actually surprised. most people in my college did better in stats.
it's so tedious when stats your lowest marked paper, especially if you want to retake.. you'd have to go through factorials and PMCCs **shivers**
Well I know my friends doing other exam boards seemed to find stats the easiest. Whilst everyone I knew doing OCR stats found it the most difficult module.
I think it's purely because only OCR do the hardest topic - permutations and combinations.
ForgottenApple
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
relatively, no.
username2130115
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
stats in AL Maths basically just involves drawing a few diagrams and chucking numbers into a calculator. very easy to make a mistake even if you understand the topics.
ferdos
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I know my friends doing other exam boards seemed to find stats the easiest. Whilst everyone I knew doing OCR stats found it the most difficult module.
I think it's purely because only OCR do the hardest topic - permutations and combinations.
hahha
i did OCR
is OCR the only exam board that cover permutations and combs?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (9)
15.52%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (13)
22.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (4)
6.9%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (8)
13.79%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (4)
6.9%
I think it's an unfair expectation (18)
31.03%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
3.45%

Watched Threads