The Student Room Group

i still haven't applied to uni

basically, i used to live near Leeds.this summer, my parents decided they wanted to buy a freaking house. And so they did...in Cheshire i had to move over 30 miles away straight after finishing my AS year.
i'm too tired and too frustrated to write a paragraphs so i'm just going to write in bullet points
- moved to south Manchester from leeds-had to change colleges
- i used to go to one of the best colleges in the uk- i missed it too much so i moved back there. also the quality of education i got there was much higher.
-i commute every day-have to take 4 trains, a car ride and walk for 4 minutes
-it's exhausting-it's affecting my grades- i wanted to study medicine but i missed the deadline
- i had no internet or a phone for 3 months (only go them recently)
- so i had no way of contacting anyone whenever i was stuck in the train station
-train station in Manchester is one of the oldest in England and train is always delayed
- i care a lot about my grades. i worked so so hard last year and i feel like it was all for a waste
-i pay over 300£+ a month on train tickets. i pay most of it from my uni savings because my parents can't be bothered giving me money
-it is absolutely exhausting. mostly mentally but physically too.
-i have no relationship with my mum. not any more-she always takes her anger out on me
-whenever i try to bring up student accommodation, she starts a shouting fit
-i hide in my room and ignore my family-she took my debit card and spent it on furniture
-i still haven't applied for university okay, i'm just so worried.

i really desperately want to do medicine but what are my chances hahha
i don't know what the hell to do.but i have decided that i'm getting as far away from them as possible.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Take a gap year since you missed the deadline anyways. Find a job, move out and apply next year.

Do what makes you happy. I have a pretty bad relationship with mine too. Even though we live in the same town, I talked to my tutor and got refered to a supporting organisation who sorted out a place for me. Just after the first week I have been way happier and took care of myself better.
Yes, I'd say take a gap year too. Seems like you need to take a break to get things figured out, life seems really stressful for you right now. My heart goes out to you, I'm sorry man. Good luck!
Reply 3
but my grade!!
i feel like crying whenever i think about them. i'm not going to get in anywhere regardless of what i do.
i used to get straight As
i got a C for my maths test.
A FRIGGIN C tgbkrjgbnj

i have always, always cared so much about school, college. i came from a absolutely rubbish high school into a fantastic college which i love. but within a week of coming back, i had to move to a different college which was nowhere near as good. i would have lost all my motivation if i had stayed in that college.

i feel like my anger and my frustration and hopelessness is literally affecting everything. my relationship with my siblings, my friends, my teachers. i'm so angry.
my personality has completely turned. my maths teacher- this made me feel so so utterly ****- pointed out that i don't smile as much as i used to.
i'm generally loud, outspoken and

okay
i don;t care what it is
but when you sped your entire life working to get in somewhere good and then suddenly your parents make a decimation without considering the impact it will have on you, what are you supposed to do?
Original post by ferdos
but my grade!!
i feel like crying whenever i think about them. i'm not going to get in anywhere regardless of what i do.
i used to get straight As
i got a C for my maths test.
A FRIGGIN C tgbkrjgbnj

i have always, always cared so much about school, college. i came from a absolutely rubbish high school into a fantastic college which i love. but within a week of coming back, i had to move to a different college which was nowhere near as good. i would have lost all my motivation if i had stayed in that college.

i feel like my anger and my frustration and hopelessness is literally affecting everything. my relationship with my siblings, my friends, my teachers. i'm so angry.
my personality has completely turned. my maths teacher- this made me feel so so utterly ****- pointed out that i don't smile as much as i used to.
i'm generally loud, outspoken and

okay
i don;t care what it is
but when you sped your entire life working to get in somewhere good and then suddenly your parents make a decimation without considering the impact it will have on you, what are you supposed to do?

Dude you're stressing yourself out so much, if your a straight A student then you're gona get into uni, trust me everything's going to be fine!! You can make it on your own, even without supportive parents. If you were to take a gap year you could do some work experience and stuff which will look great on your personal statement next year... Just a thought.
Take a gap year

Also, not an expert but this may be under the mitigating circumstances thing I think :s-smilie: I may be wrong but worth checking out
Reply 6
Original post by Wolfegirl98
Dude you're stressing yourself out so much, if your a straight A student then you're gona get into uni, trust me everything's going to be fine!! You can make it on your own, even without supportive parents. If you were to take a gap year you could do some work experience and stuff which will look great on your personal statement next year... Just a thought.

i'm not the type of person who gets As naturally. Unfortunately it's not a god given talent. i have to work for it. A2 is so much more difficult that As and even without the travelling, i would have had to put in all my time to get to where i want to be.
i know, i'm not very likely to get a single A this year but not only will i miss out on medicine, i won't be able to make it into good universities.
i've volunteered over 100 hours, i've been to so many conferences, lectures about extended chemistry, Olympiad, NCS, Cambridge chemistry exam...
if i take a gap year,i would have to endure an intire year of my mum
Original post by ferdos
i'm not the type of person who gets As naturally. Unfortunately it's not a god given talent. i have to work for it. A2 is so much more difficult that As and even without the travelling, i would have had to put in all my time to get to where i want to be.
i know, i'm not very likely to get a single A this year but not only will i miss out on medicine, i won't be able to make it into good universities.
i've volunteered over 100 hours, i've been to so many conferences, lectures about extended chemistry, Olympiad, NCS, Cambridge chemistry exam...
if i take a gap year,i would have to endure an intire year of my mum

Dude I know what it's like having parents that just don't care. It's hard but I just keep my head down, soldier on and try and get this last year of school over and done with. If I don't get into uni then I'm heading to Thr other side of the world to work in Australia, just to get out this damn house and away from my mother.
Personally, if I were you - I get my application sorted NOW and apply for something closely related to Medicine, either vocational OR scientific. You've said that you're finding it hard to get A grades AND that your commute is massively affecting you too. I'm not being negative, just realistic and offering some unbiased/neutral advice - it doesn't sound like you're going to get the grades required for Medicine in your A2 year. Medicine isn't the be all and end all AND if you still want to do it in three years time and you get a solid 2.1 in a science subject then your ambition to study medicine will still be a viable option with grad entry. For you, taking a gap year sounds like it would be hell with your living situation AND most unis don't look too favourably upon re-sit students for Medicine so you'd be shooting yourself in the foot anyway.

I'd get a strong application in for some realistic uni choices (based on your current/predicted grades) make sure you check out the employ-ability stats for the degrees on Unistats and get it in BEFORE January 15th. That gives you from now to the end of December (1 week) to write your statement and fill out the UCAS form (plenty of time) and 2 whole weeks in January to sort out a reference. Even if your application is rushed and not as strong as it could have been if you'd prepared more - you've at least got in before the deadline which means that even if you get 5 rejections you'll be eligible to go through clearing where there are ALWAYS places waiting to be filled AND you can write another statement and send it to unis who decide to consider you. But if you don't get it in before Jan 15 then you'll have to take a gap year whether you want to or not.

If I were you, I'd get working on the UCAS form and writing a decent PS before 1st Jan. I've applied through UCAS twice (graduated 2012 and applied for another degree this year) so if you need any help with UCAS or your statement I'm happy to give you a hand.
You're not in the right place mentally to be adding more stress. Take a year out, volunteer in a hospital or the medical field to boost your personal statement/give you fantastic experience, or work part-time/full-time to save some cash, you could even learn to drive in that time?

Then apply, you'll be in a better place, slightly more mature, and if you volunteered you'll be ahead of the other candidates with extra experience. Think of it as a whole year to make yourself the best candidate, ahead of all of the others and you can say that in your personal statement too.

do-it.org.uk is a great website for volunteering, but look on the NHS website for jobs or ask at your local Dr/Hospital if you can volunteer.

As for your family situation - it's not ideal but until you can afford to live independently financially, suck it up.
Reply 10
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Personally, if I were you - I get my application sorted NOW and apply for something closely related to Medicine, either vocational OR scientific. You've said that you're finding it hard to get A grades AND that your commute is massively affecting you too. I'm not being negative, just realistic and offering some unbiased/neutral advice - it doesn't sound like you're going to get the grades required for Medicine in your A2 year. Medicine isn't the be all and end all AND if you still want to do it in three years time and you get a solid 2.1 in a science subject then your ambition to study medicine will still be a viable option with grad entry. For you, taking a gap year sounds like it would be hell with your living situation AND most unis don't look too favourably upon re-sit students for Medicine so you'd be shooting yourself in the foot anyway.

I'd get a strong application in for some realistic uni choices (based on your current/predicted grades) make sure you check out the employ-ability stats for the degrees on Unistats and get it in BEFORE January 15th. That gives you from now to the end of December (1 week) to write your statement and fill out the UCAS form (plenty of time) and 2 whole weeks in January to sort out a reference. Even if your application is rushed and not as strong as it could have been if you'd prepared more - you've at least got in before the deadline which means that even if you get 5 rejections you'll be eligible to go through clearing where there are ALWAYS places waiting to be filled AND you can write another statement and send it to unis who decide to consider you. But if you don't get it in before Jan 15 then you'll have to take a gap year whether you want to or not.

If I were you, I'd get working on the UCAS form and writing a decent PS before 1st Jan. I've applied through UCAS twice (graduated 2012 and applied for another degree this year) so if you need any help with UCAS or your statement I'm happy to give you a hand.

thank you. you've made feel a little more helpful.
i have thought a head though. i've spent the last two weeks in my room just researching universities and i have only just finished my first draft personal statement. i had planned to do it in the early summer but with the packing, i had no time and no working computer hahha
it really couldn't have been worse.
i've decided to go for chemistry and i'm applying to a university down south.
Reply 11
Original post by Findlay6
You're not in the right place mentally to be adding more stress. Take a year out, volunteer in a hospital or the medical field to boost your personal statement/give you fantastic experience, or work part-time/full-time to save some cash, you could even learn to drive in that time?

Then apply, you'll be in a better place, slightly more mature, and if you volunteered you'll be ahead of the other candidates with extra experience. Think of it as a whole year to make yourself the best candidate, ahead of all of the others and you can say that in your personal statement too.

do-it.org.uk is a great website for volunteering, but look on the NHS website for jobs or ask at your local Dr/Hospital if you can volunteer.

As for your family situation - it's not ideal but until you can afford to live independently financially, suck it up.

i've had an account at do-it since year 10. Although volunteering, working and such will give me a stronger profile, it will be shadowed by my grades. most universities automatically reject you if you receive anything less than an A on any of your subjects.
Original post by ferdos
thank you. you've made feel a little more helpful.
i have thought a head though. i've spent the last two weeks in my room just researching universities and i have only just finished my first draft personal statement. i had planned to do it in the early summer but with the packing, i had no time and no working computer hahha
it really couldn't have been worse.
i've decided to go for chemistry and i'm applying to a university down south.

Sounds good! Are you applying for 2016?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ferdos
i've had an account at do-it since year 10. Although volunteering, working and such will give me a stronger profile, it will be shadowed by my grades. most universities automatically reject you if you receive anything less than an A on any of your subjects.

Rubbish, I got into Uni with 3 E's at A-level and got a great result and an even better result in subsequent MA's I did.

There's nothing wrong with challenging a University if they reject you based on several paragraphs.
If you have a whole year to play with you can re-do your qualifications.
Reply 14
Original post by Findlay6
Rubbish, I got into Uni with 3 E's at A-level and got a great result and an even better result in subsequent MA's I did.

There's nothing wrong with challenging a University if they reject you based on several paragraphs.
If you have a whole year to play with you can re-do your qualifications.

i meant in terms of medicine. that's quite an achievement by the way. redoing a-levels is hated by unis for medicine too. whatever route i decide to take to medicine, it will be twice as hard, costy and time consuming than if i had applied this or next year with strong A-levels. i suppose it will show my determination but accepting this -all this- is really difficult.
Reply 15
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Sounds good! Are you applying for 2016?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm applying for BSc (three year) and MChem (four years, more intense, i get masters in chem afterwards)
i'm thinking of applying to chemistry in two universities this year for BSc and two for next year MChem. ultimately, i still have a chance of doing well (despite how small it seems right now) this year. i'm thinking, if i get the grades ii need, then i'll take a year out and prepare for medical school. if i get rejected form all medical schools after my gap year, then i'm going straight into chemistry MChem -and i wouldn't need to prepare as i already have a place secured.
As with this years applications, if i don't do as well in my Alevels, then i'm going into chemistry Bsc and work hard to get at least a 2:1 - then apply t o medicine.
Reply 16
Original post by ferdos
i'm applying for BSc (three year) and MChem (four years, more intense, i get masters in chem afterwards)
i'm thinking of applying to chemistry in two universities this year for BSc and two for next year MChem. ultimately, i still have a chance of doing well (despite how small it seems right now) this year. i'm thinking, if i get the grades ii need, then i'll take a year out and prepare for medical school. if i get rejected form all medical schools after my gap year, then i'm going straight into chemistry MChem -and i wouldn't need to prepare as i already have a place secured.
As with this years applications, if i don't do as well in my Alevels, then i'm going into chemistry Bsc and work hard to get at least a 2:1 - then apply t o medicine
aaaand if i still don't get into medicine by applying as a post grad, well then sack that. i'm going to Bulgaria

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending