If the Nazis had won WW2, how would the internet be different today?

Watch
Zweihander
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Perhaps some of you have seen Amazon's new series "The Man in the High Castle" which imagines the world in the 1960s if the Germany had won WW2.

Watching that series got me thinking, how would the internet today be different if the Nazis had won WW2? Because the internet is the world's biggest facilitator of free speech, but if the Nazis were in power across Europe, it's conceivable there would be much less free speech on the web.

For one, I think there would be less emphasis on cultural celebrity (eg. actors, musicians, athletes) and more emphasis on political celebrity. So that means goodbye Kardashians, hello Quandts (the Quandts are the wealthiest family in Germany and are descendants of Joseph Goebbels, the Nazi Propaganda Minister).

Any other ideas?
Zweihander
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by MyGayDadRapedMe)
The world in general would be a better place
Thanks for the constructive contribution :rolleyes:
Rad Thundercock
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The world would be more left wing.

The Nazi empire would have collapsed and extreme revenge would have been inflicted on anyone associated with them
Zweihander
Rep:
(Original post by Rad Thundercock)
The world would be more left wing.

The Nazi empire would have collapsed and extreme revenge would have been inflicted on anyone associated with them
Rorschach II
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The world in general would be a better place
Hi Skeptique/TheSpringBreaker/TylerClementi/Heteronormative/Tell Mincer Yet?
Rad Thundercock
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zweihander)
Even if they would have won the war, it does not mean they would have held onto the territories. People would have fought back, formed partisan groups and killed them.

Look at how much more left wing the west is as a result of the Nazis, before eugenics was something most scientists agreed with, since the Nazis it has been thrown out due to its dirty association. Even genetic engineering is taboo in Britain and the USA compared with attitudes towards it in China.
joey11223
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zweihander)

For one, I think there would be less emphasis on cultural celebrity (eg. actors, musicians, athletes) and more emphasis on political celebrity.
I also think there might have been an emphasis on sporting achievement, physical prowess etc, as the strong Aryan is important in the ideology. I think the Olympic games would have been continued under their regime and winners would have been celebrated even more than they are at the moment.

However as someone else said, it probably wouldn't be as extreme as some think of, I imagine the regime would have ended up collapsing somewhat over time. I mean go back 70 years and you could say you assume the civil rights movement might not be successful. I think after Hitler and his generation died you'd end up with a struggle for leadership, in-fighting, what would be some sort of great empire (all the conquered nations of Europe) would end up fracturing. Actually I could see it causing a "civil war" between the nations Germany would have considered under it's control for quite some time, might have held back some technological advances.
Rorschach II
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You seem simultaneously figuratively and literally butthurt.
How long have you been holding onto this hatred and loathing?
joey11223
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
No, my username accurately describes why I criticise homosexuals.
scenes when it's realized paedophiles often target each gender and homosexuality doesn't relate to who they abuse.

My Daddy raped me and he's a gay person so....all gay people must be a paedo's....winning dat logic.
Rorschach II
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Since my gay dad raped me.
So for how long? For how many years?

I imagine it would be a relief to let go of such uncalled-for animosity.
whorace
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The top meme would be of Jews giving money to charity instead of lolcats

It would be called loljews

Rorschach II
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Do you think the perpetrators of rape are exclusively gay?

You've actually mad me sad, by you being shown to be a product of this world.
abruiseonthesky
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Because I've been raped and sexually assaulted does that mean I should criticise heterosexual men?

(Sorry for going off topic OP)
Rorschach II
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Don't blame me for recognising patterns.
That's not on very founded logic.

It's a bit like saying that:
Your father raped you
Your father was a father
All fathers must rape their children

Please try to detach yourself from your memories for a moment, and look at this with an objective lens.
abruiseonthesky
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I'm not sure their rule would've lasted that long tbh, especially with powers like America and Russia. I think the second they'd tried to expand into either they would've been crushed.
Rorschach II
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by abruiseonthesky)
(Sorry for going off topic OP)
Zweihander Sorry also.

I'm sorry for digressing this thread, but me and that guy have had plenty of malicious interactions in the past.
Skeptique
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Your sleuthing skills are on crutches if you think that person was me.

@MyGayDadRapedMe - plz confirm that you are not the owner of those profiles.
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The Nazis would have been overthrown. I'd say date back 10 years, and rewrite the history books, and we'd be in that position.
Student403
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
WELL for starters

We'd be talking about our marks on the Abitur on "Das Zimmer des Student"
Cato the Elder
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The Nazi Empire would have collapsed. Hitler was seriously ill by the end of the war and would have ended up dying, leading to his subordinates fighting for power in a bloody Diadochi-style civil war. Plus national liberation groups would have formed out of the dozens of restless ethnic groups that Hitler's super-race wanted to subjugate, and fought a guerrilla war against the Germans.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.63%
Note taking apps (6)
2.45%
Flashcards (47)
19.18%
Revision guides (15)
6.12%
Past papers (116)
47.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.27%

Watched Threads