The Student Room Group

Camera advice??

Hey all,
I'm looking into buying a good quality camera but I really don't know where to start. I'm thinking DSLR but I'm not too fussed, as long as I can manually focus it really. I've seen some pretty impressive cameras that look like standard point and shoot, but the lens actually extends into a pretty impressive camera.
I'll be using it for a range of photography- and will probably be carrying it around with me a lot (though will try and avoid taking it out of nights out) so preferably something quite light weight,'but with really good resolution.
I do most of my editing once I've taken a photo so I'm not too fussed about settings but am really keen to learn how to use a camera properly!
I'll also hopefully be using it next year for various bits of photography during my Fine Art course at uni.
Anyone have any advice?? Cheers :smile:
Ps I'm quite broke so looking around the £100 ish price range xxx
You could look into second hand from a good dealer, as an entry level decent DSLR (Canon 100 or 1200) with an 18-55mm lens is currently in region of £270.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by DrSocSciences
You could look into second hand from a good dealer, as an entry level decent DSLR (Canon 100 or 1200) with an 18-55mm lens is currently in region of £270.

Ah okay cheers, yeah I don't have that money aha!
LMAO

Reply 4
Lolol no worries :') cheers anyway though
Original post by ooosh
Hey all,
I'm looking into buying a good quality camera but I really don't know where to start. I'm thinking DSLR but I'm not too fussed, as long as I can manually focus it really. I've seen some pretty impressive cameras that look like standard point and shoot, but the lens actually extends into a pretty impressive camera.
I'll be using it for a range of photography- and will probably be carrying it around with me a lot (though will try and avoid taking it out of nights out) so preferably something quite light weight,'but with really good resolution.
I do most of my editing once I've taken a photo so I'm not too fussed about settings but am really keen to learn how to use a camera properly!
I'll also hopefully be using it next year for various bits of photography during my Fine Art course at uni.
Anyone have any advice?? Cheers :smile:
Ps I'm quite broke so looking around the £100 ish price range xxx

As a general rule you'll get much better results if you try and get the best photo possible when taking the photo then improve it further with post-editing, rather than just trying to edit whatever picture the camera spits out on auto settings. You'll have a lot more control, and more leeway with editing without degrading the image :yep: This is especially true if you'll eventually be taking photos as part of your university course where getting the best outcome possible is obviously important!

That being said your budget is really low for a "proper" camera, too low to get anything first hand that will be better than a bog standard point and shoot. If you don't mind buying used equipment you will get much better value for your money. I would personally recommend this Olympus camera body with this lens for around the £100 mark. The camera has a large sensor that will blow anything you can buy new out of the water in terms of image quality and has full access to manual controls, while still being nice and compact.

If you don't want to buy used, then the field of cameras with any noteworthy features shrinks significantly- they are all going to be roughly similar basic cameras with varying shapes, sizes and zoom ranges. I would just say try and choose a camera that will shoot in RAW format, as this gives you better results when you come to editing than just trying to edit a regular jpeg file would. If photography is likely to play a role in your degree, however, I would recommend saving up a little extra so that you can get a system camera that will give you far better results.

Quick Reply

Latest