Is it time to make christmas more multicultural

Watch
intelligent con
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Christmas is being constantly promoted as the most important event of the year because it's a christian festival. This makes it seem like it's promoting christianity over all other religions making the season very uncomfortable for minority faiths. Why can't we scrap all the christian imagery around christmas and make it a commercial event or alternatively restrict it to private celebrations such as in Brunei. This avoids offense to minorities and makes us a more inclusive society. I also don't see why it's a bank holiday. People who don't celebrate christmas should be able to go to the shops without inconvenience, if you want christmas off just book it off like people of other faiths have to for their festivals.

Why must Christmas remain so divisive in the 21st century?
Protégé
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol, stupid complaint. Who cares if it's centred around Christianity? My family aren't Christians yet my little sisters still enjoy Christmas.
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really hope this is satire...
nucdev
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
NO!

Not a Christian, but why should it "be made multicultural" to accommodate other faiths?

If you do that, might as well do the same for Eid, Diwali, Hanukkah, Vaisakhi etc.
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
I really hope this is satire...
Knowing some of the crap posted on this site, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Student403
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:idea:

We should add an extra day to the beginning of Kwanzaa to include Christmas!
mechanicsonejune
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Christmas is rooted in white, cisheteropatriarch capatalist oppresive society and works to opress ppl of color
honestly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by intelligent con)
Christmas is being constantly promoted as the most important event of the year because it's a christian festival. This makes it seem like it's promoting christianity over all other religions making the season very uncomfortable for minority faiths. Why can't we scrap all the christian imagery around christmas and make it a commercial event or alternatively restrict it to private celebrations such as in Brunei. This avoids offense to minorities and makes us a more inclusive society. I also don't see why it's a bank holiday. People who don't celebrate christmas should be able to go to the shops without inconvenience, if you want christmas off just book it off like people of other faiths have to for their festivals.

Why must Christmas remain so divisive in the 21st century?
I'm afraid you're wrong. Christmas is a pseudo-christian festival enriched with pagan buffoonery. Follow christ and not nonsense.
Tpos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No one is offended by Christmas being called a Christian celebration. :facepalm:
The Diplomat.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
College_Dropout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If anything at the moment, I would consider Christmas to be more of a cultural thing rather then a Christian festival.
mechanicsonejune
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tpos)
No one is offended by Christmas being called a Christian celebration. :facepalm:
Prepare to enter the rabbit hole of the SJW.

thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree. As a gay Chinese trans atheist Jew that celebrates Kwanza, Christmas not only doesn't interest me, it offends me. Furthermore, Christmas is exactly the time when I want to go shopping. Shops being closed on that day is an attack on my civil liberties.
Tpos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mechanicsonejune)

Oh dear. It must be tiring being offended by everything.
Illiberal Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mechanicsonejune)

:toofunny:
MrKmas508
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 100
Size:  40.9 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
18.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (26)
27.96%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (9)
9.68%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (9)
9.68%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
5.38%
I think it's an unfair expectation (25)
26.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2.15%

Watched Threads