C1,C2,C3,C4 - new maths sylabus Watch

This discussion is closed.
thatsthebadger
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
at my college we did edexcel maths - p1, m1 and d1 this year for AS.
how ever, we have been told that the slyabus (yes i cant spell) is changing for next (academic) year so that the only modules we have to do are C1,2,3, and 4. apparently these new modules cover P1 - 3, and are designed to make the course easier. also, we dont have to take m2 next year under this new sylabus, and because we have already been taught p1 (which accounts for most of c1 and c2) we will have much more time to learn c3 and c4 (the old p2 and p3).

This is all very well and good, as it means hopefully we will get better grades at the end of the day due to the extra teaching time. However, one thing that is annoyying about this change, is that our p1 exam that we had two weeks ago, and i revised very hard for, does not count towards my final maths a-level, and therefore was pointless. This is pretty stupid, as if i didnt have to revise for p1 - i feel i could have done better in both m1 and d1 (which do count towards my final a-level, as the new system has to include 2 applied modules as well as c1-4)

anyone else subject to this change? sorry if its already been posted. I would like to no ur thoughts towards it also..
queen-of-pain
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not affected by the change but I am not much for it. Just seems like a bit of a money raising deal to me, i.e more modules that you can retake as many times as you want. Bet they're not gonna change the cost to resit a module.
chats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the people that done AS maths this year, are the last people that will do the old a level syllabus therefore you wont have to do c1,c2,c3 etc you will just stay with your old ones. so if you done p1,s1,m1 next year you will do p2,p3,m2
thatsthebadger
Rep:
?
(Original post by chats)
the people that done AS maths this year, are the last people that will do the old a level syllabus therefore you wont have to do c1,c2,c3 etc you will just stay with your old ones. so if you done p1,s1,m1 next year you will do p2,p3,m2
thats not true
maybe it is for u, but not for us
chats
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thatsthebadger)
thats not true
sorry
DonnaB041986
Report 14 years ago
its happening with WJEC too - P1 to P3 are being split up into 4 exams and padded out a bit - like in P2 at the moment there are 2 types of partial fractions that you need to know, then you have to learn another in P5 but in the new syllabus all three are gonna be somewhere in P1-P4. They're just making it a bit too easy.
But then you dont have to do M3 or S3 which I have the joy of sitting back to back this wednesday.... after doing P3 and P4 this morning and before P5 and P6 on friday.... then theres the question of english and physics synoptics and STEP papers next week..... *groan* oh well, at least next years 6th form wont die with exhaustion when they're doing they're doing their a levels.

Donna
-x-
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thatsthebadger)
thats not true
I don't do AS maths, but I have been told by people at my school about the situation that you have described - it's a ******* isn't it? Apparently, the maths syllabus has been stripped down, so that it will be easier from next year with the new core modules.
EconLou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was under the impression if you did AS this year with the old sylabus you had to do A2 with the old sylabus. I know I will be doing the new "core" modules. But if you still only have to do 6 modules for a A2 and C1-4 is the equlvalent of P1-3 then surely it will be easier to get an a level in maths now.
The specification is here:http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon...cification.pdf
XXXNICEGUYXXX
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
P 1 2 3 being changed to C 1 2 3 4 effectively eliminates M3 or S3.
c 1 2 3 4 is four modules and u need 6 for the full a-level...so u only need like m1 and m2 or s1 and s2 to get the full a-level in maths... so nobody will be doing M3 or S3
sux!

p4 p5 and p6 is also renamed only to FP1 FP2 Fp3
Pegasus
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm in the same position after having completed P1, S1 and D1 this year. I'm angry that we wern't told about the changes ealier as I put a lot of effort into P1 which I felt may have effected my performance in other exams.

Also I don't think its really a good idea cutting out so much of the applied material - Stats 1 was little more than GCSE level, and was looking forward to going into the subject in more depth next year.

Also is the actual amount of stuff in Pure maths being increased or have the existing three module just been split into four? If, as I suspect, it is the latter this is really unfair on those people who sat A-level maths under the old system as well as being bad preperation for people going into maths related subjects at uni.

:mad:
thatsthebadger
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pegasus)
I'm in the same position after having completed P1, S1 and D1 this year. I'm angry that we wern't told about the changes ealier as I put a lot of effort into P1 which I felt may have effected my performance in other exams.

Also I don't think its really a good idea cutting out so much of the applied material - Stats 1 was little more than GCSE level, and was looking forward to going into the subject in more depth next year.

Also is the actual amount of stuff in Pure maths being increased or have the existing three module just been split into four? If, as I suspect, it is the latter this is really unfair on those people who sat A-level maths under the old system as well as being bad preperation for people going into maths related subjects at uni.

:mad:
yeah iam pissed about the p1 not counting - had i not had to revise for that, i would have been able to revise the proper amount for d1 and perhaps achieve a B.

o well i suppose its good in the long term if it is going to be easier - cant complain.
Kupo_nut
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are you seriouesly all in favour of this change in the sylabus? I think its a really bad thing to make maths easier - it wont mean that people get higher grades, just that the questions are more boring and monotonous and some interesting bits of maths are disappearing! I've just finished my maths and further maths exams so it doesnt really affect me, but i certainly wouldnt want my early modules spread out any further - I was glad to get them over and done with so i could get onto the more interesting stuff!
Soulfish
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are you sure you were told the correct information? I was pretty sure that the core modules were only being taught to the first year from next year onwards, so anyone that had already completed an AS in maths would go on to complete the (current) standard A2 in maths. i.e P1-P3, S1,M1,M2 or whatever other combination.

It wouldn't make sense for the exam board to change your syllabus at this moment, only to phase the exams out (so that people wanting to do retakes can do so).
thatsthebadger
Rep:
?
(Original post by Soulfish)
Are you sure you were told the correct information? I was pretty sure that the core modules were only being taught to the first year from next year onwards, so anyone that had already completed an AS in maths would go on to complete the (current) standard A2 in maths. i.e P1-P3, S1,M1,M2 or whatever other combination.

It wouldn't make sense for the exam board to change your syllabus at this moment, only to phase the exams out (so that people wanting to do retakes can do so).

no we are definitly starting the new modules next year - odd i know.

i suppose 'making it easier' is good and bad, but mostly good. Its not so much the fact that the actual modules will be easier, its just there will be less work, and therefore we will actually be able to finish them. This will be good, as this year we hardly finished D1 and rushed through some parts of M1.

the only bad bit, as i have said b4, is the fact that our p1 exam was for nothing (other than a bit of practice i suppose). But considering 90% of ppl re take p1 anyway, i suppose its not that bad.

In summary i think this change is probably for the good.
Zaphod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For AQA at least, it is possible to use an "old" AS qualification to count towards a "new" A2 level, but I don't know the details.
Pegasus
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think it the same for all syllabuses but AFAIK for OCR MEI the pure 1 exam cannot be carried through to the new system so you now have to do C1,2,3 and 4.

I definitely think its a bad idea and I don't really see the point of it. Supposedly its meant to increase the number of people taking A-Level Maths but they can't seriously think that this is going to work? And wasn't that what the AS-level was supposed to do.

Yes, the current Maths A-level might be hard and yes *shock horror* it might actually require work but making it easier is simply a step in the wrong direction.

Mathematics should be promoted as a useful subject on which many other subjects rely (eg, all the main sciences, economics, accountancy etc). This would be the best way of making it more popular rather than just watering it down so much.

I, for one, enjoy learning mathematics even though its often a challenge. By making it easier I honestlly think that they'll be making it less enjoyable and for what? A qualification that isn't worth as much as it used to be.

<insert rant about grade inflation and old folk complaining about how a-levels are getting easier and genrally undermining our confidence)
thatsthebadger
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pegasus)
I don't think it the same for all syllabuses but AFAIK for OCR MEI the pure 1 exam cannot be carried through to the new system so you now have to do C1,2,3 and 4.

I definitely think its a bad idea and I don't really see the point of it. Supposedly its meant to increase the number of people taking A-Level Maths but they can't seriously think that this is going to work? And wasn't that what the AS-level was supposed to do.

Yes, the current Maths A-level might be hard and yes *shock horror* it might actually require work but making it easier is simply a step in the wrong direction.

Mathematics should be promoted as a useful subject on which many other subjects rely (eg, all the main sciences, economics, accountancy etc). This would be the best way of making it more popular rather than just watering it down so much.

I, for one, enjoy learning mathematics even though its often a challenge. By making it easier I honestlly think that they'll be making it less enjoyable and for what? A qualification that isn't worth as much as it used to be.

<insert rant about grade inflation and old folk complaining about how a-levels are getting easier and genrally undermining our confidence)
yeah i see ur point. well it looks like its outta our control anyway. bloody exam boards.
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The amount of applied maths in A level maths is just decreasing and decreasing. The amount of pure has to be fixed in order to comply with university admissions, but the applied maths is just shrinking. It was worth 1/2 of the a level, now its only wirth a third. Its rediculous.
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Exactly. This watering down of maths is just adding more and more to the argument that A-Levels are getting easier.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How fair, you Edexhell lot switch modules and easily get your A-Level, while I toil with the same AQA B syllabus and do 6 proper modules.

The justice of it all, and the ineptness of the "QCA".

Load of retards.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise