Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think it is ashame that the A-Level Maths is getting easier and easier, (well everything else is getting is easier i.e Sciences). We looked at a past paper, around 1998 for Pure 3, it had complex numbers in it, and now it's in Pure 4!
    I know some people are cursing about this change, but be proud of what you have and achieved, an extra applied module!

Although they are cutting an applied module out, I don't think it'll affect the standards too much, as regards in preparation for University degrees, because I was reading some material at a 'good' University for Maths, where it said it doesn't assume too much knowledge on Mechanics/Statistics...so maybe there isn't a problem there.

I gather that people are wondering if you've taken AS Maths this year, and you might be able to change to the new system, by just sitting C1, C2, C3, C4...I was speaking to a girl a while ago who's school is doing that, although in theory I don't know if it is possible, but suppose your school doens't cash in you AS Maths this year, I suppose it could be possible?

ReputationRep:
    Really students who have already done AS Maths should get a qualification under the old syllabus - ie P1, P2, P3 and then three others.
    However many schools have seen how much simpler the new syllabus is and are instead encouraging their students to take this and effectively one less module (so the schools will only be teaching two modules of old syllabus material next year).
    The reason the exam boards are giving first A level qualifications in 2005 under the new scheme is for those just about to enter year 12 and taking Further Maths.
    IMO anyone who is due to finish their course in 2005 should be taking the old scheme. It means people will be competing for university places against those who are learning a whole module less.

ReputationRep:
    On AQA B, people who did the old syallabus for this current year, has to do their A-Level on that syllabus and complete it.

Don't know why Edexhell suddenly change the rules for them.

ReputationRep:
    On Edexcel (just finished F.Maths edexcel) the new course is being implimented this year, but the old modules will still be available for one more year, so anyone who has already done the AS can take the A2 under the old scheme. Although it would also be possible for them to swap and take C1,C2,C3,C4 in january and june.

Just dosent seem fair does it?

I am proud of the work i had to put in and the amount i learnt in my F.Maths course, and dont see the point of removing stuff. For example if the student is taking physics, then M3 is an ideal companion for the A2 mechanics, SHM/Circular Motion etc. On the old system they would have taken this, but now they dont have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    On AQA B, people who did the old syallabus for this current year, has to do their A-Level on that syllabus and complete it.

Don't know why Edexhell suddenly change the rules for them.
    Then it is even more unfair - if all schools had the options to choose then at least it would be a level playing field to start with but it seems that instead some schools and pupils will be tied down to taking a more difficult course and being in direct competition with those who have learnt a module less of maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    Then it is even more unfair - if all schools had the options to choose then at least it would be a level playing field to start with but it seems that instead some schools and pupils will be tied down to taking a more difficult course and being in direct competition with those who have learnt a module less of maths.
    Yes, looks like the QCA are doing a good a job as ever.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure that that is an exam board requirement and not a collage one?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion the new maths syllabus is far too easy!..
    (Its kinda not fair, don't u ppl think?!!!)
    Glad it doesn't affect me as I have already finished my A level maths

All I can say is that I'm so glad I've just finished the A-level maths syllabus. From what I've heard (this has been from various sources) one of the new papers is a non-calculator paper. MWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! (I'd have failed A-Level maths if not for my trusty calc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777)
    All I can say is that I'm so glad I've just finished the A-level maths syllabus. From what I've heard (this has been from various sources) one of the new papers is a non-calculator paper. MWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! (I'd have failed A-Level maths if not for my trusty calc.)
    Yeah, C1 is non-calc .. maybe I am glad after all lol!

I cant add/subtract/multiply/divide on my own to save my life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    Yeah, C1 is non-calc .. maybe I am glad after all lol!

I cant add/subtract/multiply/divide on my own to save my life!
    Don't worry, there's no GCSE kinda non-calculator. In some ways it is good though because the questions tend to be easier, like for an differentiation question your not going to be getting points on a graph of(44.67345,87.23123) so your less likely to make mistakes. That's what I find anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Its not just the Edexcel board which is changing. OCR MEI is changing its syllabus as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Don't worry, there's no GCSE kinda non-calculator. In some ways it is good though because the questions tend to be easier, like for an differentiation question your not going to be getting points on a graph of(44.67345,87.23123) so your less likely to make mistakes. That's what I find anyway.
    Ive finished a level maths ... thats why im happy i dint have to do any non calc stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    Its not just the Edexcel board which is changing. OCR MEI is changing its syllabus as well.
    All boards are changing syllabus, just that a lot of Edexcel students who are going into year 13 are being allowed to change syllabus and AFAIK all boards are permitting this apart from AQA B.

ReputationRep:
    Ummm... if you have just completed your AS year, it DOES count. You will not have to take core modules. They will continue to produce exam papers for all standard modules for one more year, then remove them. DO NOT panic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Ummm... if you have just completed your AS year, it DOES count. You will not have to take core modules. They will continue to produce exam papers for all standard modules for one more year, then remove them. DO NOT panic.
    This is true but a lot of schools and colleges are switching their A2 students to the new system, as it is easier (no stats/mech 2). Making P1 useless :mad:

I'm really annoyed because I think P1 was the only exam I did well in

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how I can contact the QCA? I want to make an official complaint about this!

Failing all else I shall go to the Daily Mail with a story about how A-levels are getting easier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    Does anyone know how I can contact the QCA? I want to make an official complaint about this!

Failing all else I shall go to the Daily Mail with a story about how A-levels are getting easier!
    I'm slightly confused about this.... :confused:
    So next year do you have to re-take P1 and 2. Can't you just carry forward the marks you got for this and continue with P3+4 and the applied modules?

ReputationRep:
    To clarify....

ALL exam boards are introducing a new maths syllabus from next year designed for pupils who have not yet commenced their AS course. For an A level in Mathematics a student will take four compulsory Core (Pure Maths) modules C1-C4 and then two other applied modules (from M1, M2, S1, S2, D1, D2). These applied modules will be identical, so applied modules taken under the old syllabus can still be used towards a qualification under the new scheme. C1-4 will cover material in P1-P3, so essentially a student who takes an A level under the new scheme will be learning only 5 modules of old syllabus work.

However, to cater for students who will be taking Further Mathematics A Level (and therefore sitting 6 modules for A Level single Maths next year) qualifications under this new scheme of assessment are being offered from 2005.

Therefore it is possible for students who are about to go into year 13 to swap schemes and get a qualification under the new syllabus. This would mean that any Pure modules already taken would be null and void towards a qualification under the new scheme.

This creates a problem - it is unfair for some students who will be receiving an A Level in 2005 under the new syllabus to be learning a module less than those who will be receiving an A Level at the same time under the old syllabus.
    Some schools are trying to give their students the best possible chances by letting them switch to the shorter course. If these students have already taken say P1, P2, S1 then next year they will only have to learn material for P3 and say M1. Other students may have to learn say P3, P4 and M1 - 50% more.
    These students will all come out with equal qualifications and be directly competing for university places on a like for like basis when it will clearly be a lot easier for a student to gain an A grade on the new course. It also gives students the chance to declassify a poor AS result and be predicted an A at A Level taking the new course.

ReputationRep:
    C1-C4 isnt -just- P1-P3, there is also some new added things back from GCSE upgraded to an A-Level standard and some of the older P stuff we now have to do in our heads, we also need to know alot more proof. So I wouldnt say its easier at all.

And from what I've heard M2 is supposed to be easy, which is what most of us would have been doing instead of C4. So I don't see what the problem is.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 6, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.