Turn on thread page Beta

C1,C2,C3,C4 - new maths sylabus watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunGod)
    And from what I've heard M2 is supposed to be easy, which is what most of us would have been doing instead of C4. So I don't see what the problem is.
    don't you still have to do M2...or is your school doing M1, S1 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XXXNICEGUYXXX)
    P 1 2 3 being changed to C 1 2 3 4 effectively eliminates M3 or S3.
    c 1 2 3 4 is four modules and u need 6 for the full a-level...so u only need like m1 and m2 or s1 and s2 to get the full a-level in maths... so nobody will be doing M3 or S3
    sux!

p4 p5 and p6 is also renamed only to FP1 FP2 Fp3
    Unless your doing further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    Unless your doing further maths.
    yeah, but you don't people who do f. maths next year 'only' have to do 11 modules, as opposed to 12 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    yeah, but you don't people who do f. maths next year 'only' have to do 11 modules, as opposed to 12 ?
    Very true, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    Does anyone know how I can contact the QCA? I want to make an official complaint about this!

Failing all else I shall go to the Daily Mail with a story about how A-levels are getting easier!
    http://www.qca.org.uk/about/2284.html

ReputationRep:
    For people who take further maths? what would replace p4-p5-p6 then? I am pretty sure I am keeping the "old" syllabus (wow they r changing fast! Didn't it used to be 4 modules for A-lvl maths?) but this dumbing down is a little disconcerting.

ReputationRep:
    I really do hate the new syllabus already. I'm starting A level Maths this year (doing F.M. in yr 13) - and it sucks because we end up doing less applied maths in the single course, and less pure in the further course...we still do 6 units pure, 6 applied...but the 4 core pure are P1-3. So this means I'll probably end up knowing less pure maths in the long run, which means Uni maths is going to be a lot harder .... why can't they just leave the course as it is?! grrr! Maths is no harder or easier than any other subject if you're mathematically inclined and willing to work hard.

Oh and as for further maths P4-6 are being renamed as 'Further Pure' 1, 2 and 3 - you do FP1, then FP2 or FP3 i think..cos nothing in FP3 assumes anything from FP2....tis dodgy...

ReputationRep:
    The reason for the changes is because of there being less demand for mathematical degrees (i presume).

can someone tell me where i can buy a textbook for the further maths modules (FP1, FP2, FP3 etc), or did someone say earlier, they were the old P5 and P6?

ReputationRep:
    oh- and i forgot to ask-

there are four types of maths a level:

Statistics
    Mathematics
    Further
    Pure

how will these changes effect the modules studied in a level pure mathematics?

ReputationRep:
    This is really quite silly, my year was the first to do AS levels, and they changed the syllabus from having P1 - P4 etc, to P1 - P6... and a few years later they change it all again. Why? It worked perfectly well before, and I have a sneaking suspicion that each time they are silently removing material from the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by integral_neo)
    And mechanics
    i dont think you can do an a level with modules m1-m6........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    i dont think you can do an a level with modules m1-m6........
    You can get a Mechanics AS level

ReputationRep:
    oh right, its just ive never seen an exam board state that- but- hell- i dont know everything!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 6, 2004

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.