The Student Room Group

Charging battery please help!!

If I charge a 7.6V battery with a 15V battery charger in series, what is the maximum voltage that the battery can be charged?
Original post by mystreet123
If I charge a 7.6V battery with a 15V battery charger in series, what is the maximum voltage that the battery can be charged?
The question is a bit ambiguous: are you asking what the battery output voltage will be after it is fully charged, or are you asking for the maximum voltage that can be applied to a nominal 7.6V battery during charging?

If the former, then the chemical composition of the battery will determine the standard cell output voltage post charging. i.e. 7.6V does what it says on the tin.

If the latter, then once again, the cell chemical composition will determine how the charge cycle can operate.

For instance Nickel based batteries are charged using a constant current source and the charge voltage is allowed to fluctuate freely.

On the other hand, a Lithium/Lead charger operates on constant current constant voltage where the voltage is not allowed to rise above a certain threshold.

Lithium-Ion chargers use a boost voltage to apply a small charge current to activate the battery protection circuits - after which the battery resumes normal charging.

In short, you need to use the correct battery charger for the battery chemistry to be charged. Failure to do this can result in a danger of fire or explosion. Be warned!

Quick Reply

Latest