I need your advice (St Andrews vs. Edinburgh University)

Watch this thread
Nadialika
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I really need your kind advice. I have received two offers to study International Relations from the St Andrews University and from the University of Edinburgh. And now I'm really in two minds. Both places seem great, yet both of them also have their pros and cons.

For example, according to the home rankings, St Andrews is much higher there and stands right after Oxbridge. Yet in the world rankings, it is rather lagging behind, whereas Edinburgh stands at number 20.

Another thing is the subject itself. As far as I know, the main focus of St Andrews is on International Relations, while Edinburgh seems to be less advanced in this field. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't mean to offend anyone.)

I've also heard that St Andrews is considered to be much posher than Edinburgh, hence only the elite study there. I am not sure about this, but from what I have read and heard, it appears quite upper-class.

Finally, as people in multiple forums say, the main difference seems to be the place itself. St Andrews is obviously a little town and Edinburgh is a city. But I am wondering if it really is that dreary and I'll be bored of it after four years of studying or is it just one more preconception and it actually is a lot of fun.
Any unprejudiced opinion and information would be very much appreciated. If anyone of you had a direct experience with these universities, then please share your knowledge and put my mind at ease.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
St Andrews vs Edinburgh in terms of town: I think St Andrews will probably bore you by the 3rd or 4th year, its a small town and there isn't that much to do. However, I think by your 3rd and 4th year, you will have a huge number of friends and you will really feel at home at that university. Edinburgh is a bigger city and can be a bit overwhelming, students don't dominate the town and you will really feel more like a student in a city rather than a student at a university. You will definitely have friends but you probably won't know as many. St Andrews truly is a student run town in that sense, all along the streets you will see students and well to do people whereas Edinburgh has people from all walks of life.

I personally would choose Edinburgh for a 4 year degree but likely St Andrews for anything 3 years or less when it comes to city. When it comes to university, St Andrews seems to have a bigger rep in IR than Edinburgh at least from what i've heard.
Nadialika
Rep:
(Original post by Okorange)
St Andrews vs Edinburgh in terms of town: I think St Andrews will probably bore you by the 3rd or 4th year, its a small town and there isn't that much to do. However, I think by your 3rd and 4th year, you will have a huge number of friends and you will really feel at home at that university. Edinburgh is a bigger city and can be a bit overwhelming, students don't dominate the town and you will really feel more like a student in a city rather than a student at a university. You will definitely have friends but you probably won't know as many. St Andrews truly is a student run town in that sense, all along the streets you will see students and well to do people whereas Edinburgh has people from all walks of life.

I personally would choose Edinburgh for a 4 year degree but likely St Andrews for anything 3 years or less when it comes to city. When it comes to university, St Andrews seems to have a bigger rep in IR than Edinburgh at least from what i've heard.

Thank you so much for your reply. It's really useful to know other people's opinions on this subject. But I still don't know which one to choose, both of the universities seem appealing to me in their own ways.
username1732491
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
St Andrews is around 10% American students, and the majority of them come to do IR, management or economics or a combination. Apparanetly St. Andrews has a good reputation for IR in the states, from what my American friends have told me.

Edinburgh has a better Quidditch team though.
Nadialika
Rep:
(Original post by TimGB)
St Andrews is around 10% American students, and the majority of them come to do IR, management or economics or a combination. Apparanetly St. Andrews has a good reputation for IR in the states, from what my American friends have told me.

Edinburgh has a better Quidditch team though.
Thanks a lot. Only 10%?? For some reason I thought that American students completely dominated the university.
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nadialika)
Thanks a lot. Only 10%?? For some reason I thought that American students completely dominated the university.
It is definitely an exaggeration. There are more EU students than Americans. I would guess around 10-15% are from the states. However, there are a lot more Americans in IR so in that particular course it might be a much higher percentage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.09%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.49%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
16.48%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (22)
24.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
20.88%

Watched Threads