Why are certain religions wealthier than others?

Watch
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago

i.e Jews/Christians as individuals are much more successful than Muslims for example.

Like the differences are pretty huge.

Surely must be something at work here.
drinktheoceans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not true, just look at all the wealthy Saudi billionaires and the UAE in general.
Duke Glacia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)

i.e Jews/Christians as individuals are much more successful than Muslims for example.

Like the differences are pretty huge.

Surely must be something at work here.
I think its the way how donations work. And most Jews are very rich. So i think it has more to do with Race than religion. For eg churches in India are really poor compared to Churches in US
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
(Original post by drinktheoceans)
Not true, just look at all the wealthy Saudi billionaires and the UAE in general.
Erm overall as individuals per capita. Christians/Jews are MUCH wealthier. We can say why those people are rich i.e oil but not all muslims have access to oil money.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
(Original post by drinktheoceans)
That's like saying all Russians are rich when we know that's not the case.
poohat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As someone said, its about race, not religion.

IQ is actually negatively correlated with religiosity.
Bob Mackenzie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Catholic Church used inquisitions torture and murder to get rid of and vilify the competition.
They burnt thousands of believers of different religions like Wicca, Druidism and Paganism at the stake to build more strength into their belief system.
As it turns out we would have been better off with the natural religions they killed off than Christianity.
They respected the elements of nature, they didn't believe that god gave them dominion over them to do as they liked.
sleepysnooze
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
religions don't have wealth - people do
so you mean "why do certain religions' peoples have more money than others?" - because their nations were wealthier
MrKmas508
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Big man upstairs has favourites.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends which century were talking about tbh
MrKmas508
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The_Internet)
Depends which century were talking about tbh
The last 5.
BobbyFlay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
Erm overall as individuals per capita. Christians/Jews are MUCH wealthier. We can say why those people are rich i.e oil but not all muslims have access to oil money.
Not that I'm disagreeing with your comment, but I would prefer to look at some data or studies to prove that this is actually the case.
oShahpo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmm, interesting question.
My opinion:
1) History: The Catholic Church has a history of pretty much ruling the whole west. This gives it a headstart when it comes to modern day wealth. They have money they accumulated over years and years. Similarly, a lot of Western churches had ruled nations for years and years, the Anglican church for instance, and so on. On the other hand, a religion like Islam never had a ruling institution that lasted. They had ruling Caliphates, but those were like Kings or Emperors, each for their own. All the wealth they made was totally theirs and to their nation, but there was never a ruling institution which could keep sovereignty for enough time to garner enough wealth.
2) Geographical position: Religions held in rich countries tend to be rich. For instance, the Coptic Church of Egypt is richer than the Orthodox Greek church in Lebanon, both of which are much much poorer than, say, The Church of England.
Also, Sunni Muslims are much richer than Shiite, reason being all the oil in Sunni countries.
3) Individual Differences: Israel, a Jewish nation and a pretty wealthy country, is mostly made up of European immigrants, a lot of whom came from properly educated backgrounds. Europe in the 18th and 19th was more advanced than any other place in the world, immigrants to Israel were educated and raised in Europe, hence why they're more advanced than their Middle Eastern counterparts, who grow up in an area plagued with wars for over 200 years. This again has to do with History, but can be attributed to individual differences.
4) Support: Judaism and Jewish people were obliterated during World War 2, after which they gathered a lot of support from the world. This allowed them to build a successful nation, that is Israel.
5) Secularism and Religious ideologies: While Islam, for instance, does encourage research into the sciences, the goal of a Muslim is the afterlife. Collection of wealth is not something that's important to them. In fact, a Muslim prides himself in being poor, I think this is also true of Hindus. Christianity also is similar in that manner, but then again such moral codes were only forced upon the poor to make them content with what they have, while the Church operated with different codes in order to harvest wealth and status.
6) Eugenics: This is also heavily related to History. During the course of history, some conditions encouraged the propagation of intelligence and discouraged that of stupidity, specially for small religious groups like Jews, were only intelligent Jews were allowed to survive for example. Eugenics has never been practiced in Islamic countries because of how the religion looks upon the stupid, or in other words, how it doesn't discriminate between stupid and smart.
*Note: My comment here is not supported by any scientific or historical evidence, other than my own general knowledge and reasoning. For all I know I might be entirely wrong.
ckingalt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My guess is it is more cultural than religious. Western culture is a "low context one". It values productivity, innovation, and prestige most highly. Christianity and Judaism are most closely tied to western culture. The "high context" cultures tend to value relationships and faith most highly. Islamic based countries are all "high context" cultures.
Torquemada
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It has more to do with race than religion. Judaism being a religion with a racial/hereditary component makes the Jewish issue fairly different. Ashkenazi Jews have the highest average IQ out of any ethnic or racial group. This is partly why they are the most successful ethnic group on the planet being especially dominant in the United States. The reason for this high average intelligence arent known for sure but there are a number of theories.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (408)
52.31%
No (372)
47.69%

Watched Threads