Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Language & Literature B - Unit 6: Critical Approaches - Pre Release watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok people THIS is the Thread you wana be @ for discussing this module & the pre release material

The theme is on law/judgement/morality
    I'm off to the library to get some York Notes on The Crucible, To Kill A Mockingbird and Bleak House

Will be back soon with some goodness.

get posting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BareIdiotJoker)
    Ok people THIS is the Thread you wana be @ for discussing this module & the pre release material

The theme is on law/judgement/morality
    I'm off to the library to get some York Notes on The Crucible, To Kill A Mockingbird and Bleak House

Will be back soon with some goodness.

get posting.
    It doesnt look to bad, well i have read it just yet. But at least its not 13 extracts long like one of our practice ones.

Text 7 is great though!!

ReputationRep:
    hi there, it is such a relief to find people on line to talk to about the pre-release! i'm still not 100% sure about the topic though? is it trials/lawyers/judges?? AHHH!! Oh and text 5, finding that one quite hard!

ReputationRep:
    OK just got back from the library after paying a hefty £8 fine on my books

I am gona go through this over the next few hours and i will post soemthing up a bit later

share ur ideas here and we;ll get thru it together

Love, Comedian.

I'm working on this pre release material for NTB6 as well. We were told to decide on an overarching theme, for example are people given a fair or unfair trial. Then we were told to analyse the texts that way. Our teacher is married to the ex AQA Chief Examiner for GCE English Language & Literature.

I'd be interested to see what others think.

ReputationRep:
    Russel

If i knew how to quote i would quote your previous message
    BUt concentrating on an umbrella theme is something advocated by the Examiner reports found on the AQA website

for eg.

Fair/Unfair Trials

Lawyers - e.g. the poem and Dickens hold lawyers in contempt, wheras Atticus is one of the greatest men in fictional history

Who decides the Law? Theocracy, as seen in the Salem witch hunt trials and the bible, or man made laws? How does this effect the outcome of a case?

Is justice the only victim of the courtroom?

I''m struggling now help me out with some ideas.....

But by using a theme connected to how Law/Justice is presented, as a strand and mabe use a single text as a base to pivot around, and to help compare all the texts

please keep posting, our teachers have abandoned us and we only have eachother.
    come on people we can do better this.

PS:

Bleak House is from Chapter 11.
    Kill a Mockingbird - Chapter 20

Just in case you get a Lett's revision guide out from the library or somethin.

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone! I'm still trying to work my way through this booklet, starting to struggle now though as i am at a loss for ideas. I am still having real problems with text 5, LORD DENNING, anybody made any progress with this??

What links has everydody made between the texts so far?

I'm finding this booklet harder than any of the past booklets we looked at in class, i wish we had the food or monsters booklet, they were much more approachable!!

GRRR STRESS!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I am gona avoid denning altogether, they can't force me to write about him
    good tactic, eh?

Links
    salem withch trials and crucible
    the judges were deceived and gave a bad verdict

wheras in Kill a mock..
    judges and jury clearly know the truth
    yet give a bad verdict because of prejudices

so what are the motives for an unfair trial?

bleak house is pretty tough

i much prefered the FOod topic, that was easy to take a marxist viewpoint
    but this one is a bit more difficult

ReputationRep:
    yeah i totally agree, the food booklet was much better.

well at least we only have to worry about the 7 texts in this booklet. I wonder what the unseen's will be??

I'm struggling quite a bit with bleak house as well! It gets confusing when the lady comes into it (Mrs Piper). Do you think the overall topic is trials/justice?? or something else?

ReputationRep:
    i also can't think of much to say about the first text, from the bible. I understand it, but just can't think of much to say on it.

Have you found many links between the texts so far, I've mainly been lookin at religion, fact/fiction, purpose, POV, audience, context etc.

you?

ReputationRep:
    oh i found out a little bit of info about lord denning... app he was a very influential, modern and sometimes controversial judge in the high court.

he was a real sceptic when it came to the law, and his morals were based very much on Christian ideas.

strange to find he was a barrister really?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandy_spring)
    oh i found out a little bit of info about lord denning... app he was a very influential, modern and sometimes controversial judge in the high court.

he was a real sceptic when it came to the law, and his morals were based very much on Christian ideas.

strange to find he was a barrister really?!
    Loads of my friend do law that are doing english, and they are all 'Lord Denning this and Lord Denning that'!!! So i'll ask them!!

ReputationRep:
    i thought the bible text was OK actually
    perhaps its cos itss the only one i have looked at properly

i just was looking at the way in which the courts will make everyone equal
    the women are harlots, but they still get a fair trial despite this

Atticus pleads this idea of "every man equal" in the courtroom for Tom, but unlike the bible story, prejudices of society sway the verdict

what are the methods in which people attempt to sway the verdict, that could be something to look at, also

safety in numbers. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    wow that is a really good point you made about the bible text and TKAMB, i would not have spotted that!!

how do you both find the second part of the exam? where we have to write a commentary on our approaches??

ReputationRep:
    I've started to think about a few approaches that you could take to each of the texts.

texts 1 and 7 could be looked at from a feminist approach.
    text 1 = women seen as harlots and handmaids, men seen as kings "oh lord"

text 7 = women seen as gossipers, undervalued and not listened to, men hold the power within the court "this won't do gentlemen" "very well gentlemen". etc

texts 2,3 and 4 could be looked at from a psychoanalytical approach. why do the girls make false allegations, what are their motives? they seek attention? they dislike the people they accuse? they feel shame (text 4) etc.

we could also use an historical approach for texts 2,3 and 4. all 3 pieces are influenced by the time, text 4 is influenced by prejudices of that time eg Racism. makes more important that atticus is a white man defending a black man!!

ReputationRep:
    this is how ive been annotation. here are some of the notes that i have made of text 7.

theme connection:
    poem about lawyers.

attitudes and values:
    lawyers only care about themselves - money and power is most important to them "property and land" - superfical (sp).
    all this knowledge they have, doesnt count as they havent thought about the important things in life - hold not appreciation of the beauty of nature - the law of nature as opposed to the law that they know.
    ecocritical approach

linguistic features:
    continious rhyme for 8 lines, rhyme between land and understand = create rhythm, also poetry connvention, ties in with genre.
    'but' - set out arguement
    4 interrgorative questions, however do not have question marks
    Ends in strong declarative se
    ntence - final word.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinkin of psychological for texts 2 3 and 4 also

but also text 1:

why would a woman steal anothers baby?
    the story in Islamic literature is similar, but the point is that the woman who steals the baby is *old,* and thus she fears she cannot have any more babies

but the question arises: why do they WANT to deceive the courts?

well the point is, the courts decision are final
    the person who makes the final judgement are always respected people- a king, a reverend, a judge (think about terms of addresss ) - and if they can fool the courtroom, then effectively they have decieved society, and thus they need not answer anyone else.

does that make sense?
    the point is that the court's judgement is FINAL, irrespective of itf it is fair or not - and so from a psycological view, if they can win the case, they legitimise their own position in society.

errm. comments anyone

:mad: :cool: :eek: :cool: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    surely more than 3 people in the counrty do this module?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BareIdiotJoker)
    surely more than 3 people in the counrty do this module?
    apparently not!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.