Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Bleak house should be banned and Lord Denning wants a slap.
    :mad: :eek: :confused: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    hey i was just thinking, we all keep missing each other on here. so how about we all try to get on here for about 6 o'clock tomorrow evening to talk about our ideas for the booklet?

people are coming up with some really good links, and i think it's good to tell each other about it and find out what others think!

so how does 6 o'clock sound??

if anyone can't make it then post a thread and we'll arrange another time, coz what people are saying is really helpful!!

well hopefully speak to you soon?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandy_spring)
    hey i was just thinking, we all keep missing each other on here. so how about we all try to get on here for about 6 o'clock tomorrow evening to talk about our ideas for the booklet?

people are coming up with some really good links, and i think it's good to tell each other about it and find out what others think!

so how does 6 o'clock sound??

if anyone can't make it then post a thread and we'll arrange another time, coz what people are saying is really helpful!!

well hopefully speak to you soon?! :confused:
    yeah that should be good. i think i will be able to 'meet' at 6.

just that im having loads of my my friends over, who are doing english aswell, and we are all going to go through the booklet together. starting at 1, so i should be finished by 6.

ReputationRep:
    yeah me too, i'm going to meet with some of my friends at about midday tomorrow, hopefully we'll be able to post all of the ideas that we come up with!!

ReputationRep:
    hey shing a ding, made much progress today?

ReputationRep:
    hey shing a ding, made much progress today?
    yeah quite a bit, me and friends have been through all the texts making notes. so just trying to type up nots as they are on loads of bits of paper and too confusing.
    How did you get on??

ReputationRep:
    yeah quite good. I feel as though i would have something to say about each of the different texts now, so hopefully i will be able to write for 2 hours in the exam.

Have you made any preparations for the commentary section of the exam yet? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    hi i am really struggling with th epre release especially the salem witch trials and the crucible, please can you help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren1234)
    hi i am really struggling with th epre release especially the salem witch trials and the crucible, please can you help?
    what do you want to know?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Lauren,

what sort of thing are you struggling with? understanding the text itself? or finding links from the text to the common theme?

ReputationRep:
    understanding the texts and how language creates attitudes and values! i understand the themes in each text but not about the language choices!!

thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    well text 3 is obviously based on text 2, but looking at language choices to portray a&v's in text 2 is quite tough.

the girls in the salem trials are making false allegations against people of witchcraft. since the girls are only young at this point, i thought about the fact that their responses to the interrogative utterances are short and simplistic, perhaps showing that they are young and naive.

they repeatedly address the male as sir, showing them to be polite and innocent young girls, who should be believed.

you can also look at the references to god and religion that people use in order to emphasise their innocence "i take god in heaven to be my witness...."

it's a tough one, any help?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    thanks alot that really helped!! i hadn't really noticed that!!

ReputationRep:
    wi thought about the fact that their responses to the interrogative utterances are short and simplistic, perhaps showing that they are young and naive.
    interrogratives are questions. the girls do not ask questions. only answer them.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i meant that the girls responses to the questions being asked to them were short and simplistic. sorry i didn't mean for it to read as though THEY were making the interrogative utterances. (ooops) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Right this is my notes on text 2: the salem witch trials

Theme connection
    An extract of the court transcript for The Salem Witch Trials – factual accounts.

Contextual information
    Massachusetts, Seventh century New Englanders – witches and demons existed. Theologians believed that Satan himself ruled the ‘invisible world’.
    Strange incidents/incurable illnesses were often attributed to the devil and his followers. Strict Puritan society – very religious and therefore easily gullible to cries of witchcraft.
    Abigail Williams, Reverend Parris’s niece and his daughter Elizabeth accuse others of witchcraft because they were suffering from fits and hysteria. Soon many other girls were display symptoms of being bewitched.
    Sarah Good and Sarah Osbourne have been accused of witchcraft – unpopular villagers – denies accusations. Also Tituba also been accused but confesses to save herself, but also testified that there were a group of witches at work in Salem.
    Children bought up to be quiet and obedient in a strict Puritan society.
    April 11 – Cloyse and Proctor examined after being arrested and denounced a few days earlier. John Proctor was also accused and imprisoned during examination.
    Mary Walcot, Abigail Williams and Ann Putman accusing.

Attitudes and values
    Tituba – easy target as she is Afro-Caribbean slave – therefore dark skin means ‘evil’ – racial prejudice and discrimination. (Link to text 4).
    Children growing up in this Puritan village were repressed. They cannot be children. No toys, no singing, no dancing etc. highlights the importance of being a child.
    Witches were prosecuted on the smallest evidence. Shows that there is no respect for justice in courts.
    Clearly demonstrates attitudes toward the greatness of religion and demonstrated the power of religion. Religion plays a big part in law. Highlights the superstitions of the society.
    Psychoanalytical/psychological approach – why are these making these accusations? What are their motives? Shame of admitting truth. (Text 4 - Mayella) or because of they were intoxicated by the unaccustomed power.

Linguistic features
    Straight question/answer adjacency pairs, formality in court procedure. Required and expected in court. Maxim of relevance.
    Perfect co-operative turn-taking as Danforth (Q) is in power shown by ! and asks questions. Creates commanding presence. Also calling out name, enables court to know who Danforth is addressing.
    M.O.A. – ‘Goody’ used as a title with a surname and refers to a woman, especially an old woman or housewife. ‘Sir’ used to the girls –a mark of respect. ‘Dear child’ – endearing?
    Deixis are pointed out in the form of narration. So reader audience knows what’s happening even though they cannot see it. Shows actions – almost like stage directions if it was drama.
    Abigail Williams – use of blasphemies to convince court, seen as evil and that devil is controlling her
    Lexicon of religious language – ‘Goody’ ‘the book’ ‘sacrament’ ‘deacons’
    Archaic language ‘hath’ ‘saith’ ‘choaked’
    Lots of repetition for clarification.
    Short simple interrogative utterances so not to confuse the girls. Girls replies are simple and short = shows age.

ReputationRep:
    lauren, it helps to analyse the text if you split it into sections l;ike this:

context
    attitudes and values
    lingustic features

hope my notes on text 2 help!!!!

ReputationRep:
    woah thats alot of notes! thanks alot that really helped!! i understand now! what did you both get 4 A.S?? im getting worried bout the exam now!!

ReputationRep:
    is tituba actually mentioned in the text? (text 2)

ReputationRep:
    yeah they did! thanks 4 all ur help! i'm sooooooooooooo glad i found this website

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.