Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok I have the curve
    Y=5cosx-2sinx
    Now I found all the stuff like R and alpha when it's equivalent to Rcos(x+alpha).
    Then it asks me to find the intercept on the Y axis. Done that. But then it goes on to ask me about finding the minimum point on the curve. I have no idea how to do this. Any help is appreciated.

(It's Q3 on the Solomon Paper B).

ReputationRep:
    Bump...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Les Paul)
    Ok I have the curve
    Y=5cosx-2sinx
    Now I found all the stuff like R and alpha when it's equivalent to Rcos(x+alpha).
    Then it asks me to find the intercept on the Y axis. Done that. But then it goes on to ask me about finding the minimum point on the curve. I have no idea how to do this. Any help is appreciated.

Differentiate?

ReputationRep:
    Ok I have the curve
    Y=5cosx-2sinx

The minimum is going to be when y = -R, since the minimum value for cos(anything) is always -1. You can find out the values of x which this applies to by knowing your value of alpha and thinking about what values of x + alpha would cause cos(x + alpha) to equal -1.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Ok I have the curve
    Y=5cosx-2sinx

I'd probably expand the Rcos(x+a) term to Rcosxcosa - Rsinxsina and then equate that to y = 5cosx - 2sinx.

Therefore you should get Rcosa = 5 and Rsina = 2 (a standing for alpha).
    Divide sina by cosa to get get tana = 2/5 and use pythagoras to find the value of R (it should be the square root of 2^2 + 5^2). Therefore alpha = 21.8 degrees and R is root 29. i.e. 5cosx - 2sinx can be written as 5.39cos(x+21.8). You know the maximum and minimum will thus be 5.39 and -5.39 (both are just root +/- 29), respectively, and the points of these values can also be determined by a quick sketch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Differentiate?
    Not for P2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)
    I'd probably expand the Rcos(x+a) term to Rcosxcosa - Rsinxsina and then equate that to y = 5cosx - 2sinx.

Therefore you should get Rcosa = 5 and Rsina = 2 (a standing for alpha).
    Divide sina by cosa to get get tana = 2/5 and use pythagoras to find the value of R (it should be the square root of 2^2 + 5^2). Therefore alpha = 21.8 degrees and R is root 29. i.e. 5cosx - 2sinx can be written as 5.39cos(x+21.8). You know the maximum and minimum will thus be 5.39 and -5.39 (both are just root +/- 29), respectively, and the points of these values can also be determined by a quick sketch.
    Oh ok. Thanks a lot man.

yeah differentiation of Trigonometric equations aren't included in P2.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.