The Student Room Group

Why would you do this to yourself?

So you're a student of languages at University yes? Well, what are you actually paying for?

Let's say you're studying French.

How much are private French lessons? Are they really worth 27,000 (+ housing) for how many contact hours?
I always wondered this myself when you can just buy a Rosetta Stone language course and learn at your own pace and it's a cheap (relative to uni) one off payment?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Yes, it would be cheaper to hire a private tutor. But a tutor can't give you a piece of paper at the end of it.
(Just go and study in France.)
Original post by llys
Yes, it would be cheaper to hire a private tutor. But a tutor can't give you a piece of paper at the end of it.
(Just go and study in France.)

Don't really see why a piece of paper in a language matters?
My French teacher at secondary school was Spanish (by nationality) and had a degree in French plus could speak fluent English.

She left (even though everyone wanted her to stay, there were tears from everyone) to teach Spanish in another school because she couldn't pass it up.

I fail to see why I piece of paper in a LANGUAGE matters? Now if it was actually in something that matters, maybe a engineer, mathematician lawyer, scientist etc... then I can see you will need practical experience which an apprenticeship or a degree can give you but, I fail to see the relevance in a language?
(edited 8 years ago)
(edited 8 years ago)
Well I'm in Scotland so I pay no fees but you could say the same for any subject
Also, you do know that a language degree isn't just sitting and learning the language right? There are other aspects
Original post by whorace
So you're a student of languages at University yes? Well, what are you actually paying for?

Let's say you're studying French.

How much are private French lessons? Are they really worth 27,000 (+ housing) for how many contact hours?

I know very little about languages but I'd assume there is a lot more to it than just learning to speak / write the language itself. ie the history/culture of the country (dont get me wrong it seems like a waste of time to me) but I think you are selling it short. You could say the same for many other subjects.
Original post by skeptical_john
I know very little about languages but I'd assume there is a lot more to it than just learning to speak / write the language itself. ie the history/culture of the country (dont get me wrong it seems like a waste of time to me) but I think you are selling it short. You could say the same for many other subjects.

Kudos on name ... but yeh they're referred to as "waste subjects" or "waste degree", some have a bad name others dont for instance you dont need a degree in business to be a successful business person do you? but you do need a degree in law to practice law - but no one calls a business degree a 'waste degree' even though it actually is.

Its for that reason precisely I switched from b.management to b.law just so I can say "yeah, I'm a lawyer".
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Skeptique
Kudos on name ... but yeh they're referred to as "waste subjects" or "waste degree", some have a bad name others dont for instance you dont need a degree in business to be a successful business person do you? but you do need a degree in law to practice law - but no one calls a business degree a 'waste degree' even though it actually is.

Its for that reason precisely I switched from b.management to b.law just so I can say "yeah, I'm a lawyer".

I think you made a wise decision. Even so a Business degree seems far more useful in terms of job opportunities than languages. I was thinking media/eng lit/creative writing/philosophy (though I really like philosophy) music... the list goes on.
Reply 11
Original post by Scienceisgood
Don't really see why a piece of paper in a language matters?
My French teacher at secondary school was Spanish (by nationality) and had a degree in French plus could speak fluent English.

She left (even though everyone wanted her to stay, there were tears from everyone) to teach Spanish in another school because she couldn't pass it up.

I fail to see why I piece of paper in a LANGUAGE matters? Now if it was actually in something that matters, maybe a engineer, mathematician lawyer, scientist etc... then I can see you will need practical experience which an apprenticeship or a degree can give you but, I fail to see the relevance in a language?

Oooh "controversial". :facepalm2:

In 9 out of 10 cases your teacher wouldn't have been your teacher without a degree, that's why.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending