The Student Room Group

which type of conformity is social smoking?

sorry for reposting i think i posted in the wrong area but i have no idea how to delete that post!
Heres my question: Is social smoking a type of identification? I'm just trying to do some revision but i find it really hard to give examples for identification. Any other examples would be appreciated!
Original post by tifflcy
sorry for reposting i think i posted in the wrong area but i have no idea how to delete that post!
Heres my question: Is social smoking a type of identification? I'm just trying to do some revision but i find it really hard to give examples for identification. Any other examples would be appreciated!

compliance (shallow conformity)
Would it not depend on factors like frequency of smoking and social context etc.?
it would depend:
if the person is just smoking because they want to fit in with the group (and don't smoke usually) it would be compliance
if the person is smoking because they value the group and want to be part of it, it would be identification
if the person is smoking because they have been influenced so much that they end up doing it because they now believe it is what they want to do then it is internalisation.

Another example of identification would be if someone dresses like someone else because they want to be like them
It is basically when someone changes their behaviour because they value something about the group they are with and want to be a part of it. The change of behaviour is only present when they are with the group but there is more thought to it than compliance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending