Best biology book to read if I've got no idea what I'm learning at school? Watch

higure
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I don't understand anything we learn. We just draw diagrams and label them with words explained so much by the teacher that you understand anything at all and every time I have a test I get very little on it. Can somebody give me a good book to get for biology?
Our lessons go like this: when everybody goes quiet she starts explaining what we are going to learn about, then we watch a video, she explains in more detail, she draws a diagram with all the labels on the whiteboard and we have to copy it, then make an explanation made by us what xxxxxxx is and while we do that she starts walking around different tables talking about random stuff with the students
anonwinner
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by higure)
I don't understand anything we learn. We just draw diagrams and label them with words explained so much by the teacher that you understand anything at all and every time I have a test I get very little on it. Can somebody give me a good book to get for biology?
Our lessons go like this: when everybody goes quiet she starts explaining what we are going to learn about, then we watch a video, she explains in more detail, she draws a diagram with all the labels on the whiteboard and we have to copy it, then make an explanation made by us what xxxxxxx is and while we do that she starts walking around different tables talking about random stuff with the students
It might be helpful to tell us what year you're in and what exam board you are with
higure
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonwinner)
It might be helpful to tell us what year you're in and what exam board you are with

I'm in Y9. There was a tag option and i chose Y9
Ambre
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I never learn anything in my biology classes either. Sometimes what you get taught isn't always what you need to know to pass the exam, and sometimes the teacher's methods don't correspond to your way of learning.

If you don't find the teacher's explanations helpful, get the GCSE biology textbook and read through it yourself. It won't necessarily get you interested in the subject but everything that you need to know to pass the exam is in there. What grade you get is proportional to how much effort you spend reading through the textbook and practicing past papers. There's a lot of content to remember but the material itself isn't difficult to understand (even though your classes may make it look otherwise).

If you want to get interested into the subject than the textbook probably won't help. When I was in Year 9 the books that got me interested in biology were 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins and 'Life on Earth' by David Attenborough. They're not really textbook material but they might make you see biology in a different light

Anyway the key for me was independent studying, but you may learn differently...in any case I hope this helped, as I had the same struggles as you when I was 14. (I'm now in Year 13 and got an A in Biology GCSE and A in Biology AS).
higure
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ambre)
I never learn anything in my biology classes either. Sometimes what you get taught isn't always what you need to know to pass the exam, and sometimes the teacher's methods don't correspond to your way of learning.

If you don't find the teacher's explanations helpful, get the GCSE biology textbook and read through it yourself. It won't necessarily get you interested in the subject but everything that you need to know to pass the exam is in there. What grade you get is proportional to how much effort you spend reading through the textbook and practicing past papers. There's a lot of content to remember but the material itself isn't difficult to understand (even though your classes may make it look otherwise).

If you want to get interested into the subject than the textbook probably won't help. When I was in Year 9 the books that got me interested in biology were 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins and 'Life on Earth' by David Attenborough. They're not really textbook material but they might make you see biology in a different light

Anyway the key for me was independent studying, but you may learn differently...in any case I hope this helped, as I had the same struggles as you when I was 14. (I'm now in Year 13 and got an A in Biology GCSE and A in Biology AS).
What do you mean by the GCSE biology textbook? Also, there are changes being made to the GCSEs which is pretty darn annoying.
Ambre
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What do you mean by the GCSE biology textbook? Also, there are changes being made to the GCSEs which is pretty darn annoying.
Well that depends on your exam board. But each exam board for biology should have a biology textbook that covers the syllabus, e.g. the AQA biology textbook has content that differs from the Edexcel textbook. You need to find out your exam board from your teacher.
Et Tu, Brute?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Campbell-Bio...ology+campbell

This book is amazing. I used it for my foundation year, and found it very helpful. No matter what exam board you are doing at GCSE, whatever topic you are doing will be in this book and in enough detail. In fact it may even be too detailed for GCSE, but that will only deepen your knowledge and help you get a better grade. It is full of colour, all topics are broken down into sections and there are more than enough diagrams etc to make things clear.

The book is expensive but you can pick up a 2nd hand copy on amazon/ebay.

It will also cover a lot of the A-level content as well and even some degree level biology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (289)
60.33%
Yes- I don't like it (23)
4.8%