CFact
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi! I'm a girl who's going to Westminster School for sixth form next year and I was just wondering about a few things. I would really appreciate your opinions on either or both of these!
*What boarding house would you recommend for sixth form girls? I think the options are Liddell's, Busby's or Purcell's.
*Roughly how long does everyone spend on each subject on average in terms of homework?
Thanks!
MeiMei15401
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there, congrats on getting in! I started Westminster this year as a boarder.

In terms of houses, there are actually 4 as of 2015: Liddell's, Busby's, Purcell's and Grant's. Liddell's, Busby's, and Grant's are very similar, in the sense that they have both girl and boy boarders, have a small number of girl boarders (about 3 or 4 in each year) and are all based in Little Dean's Yard. Purcell's, on the other hand, is much larger (about 11 boarders in each year), has only girl boarders (and all day pupils are boys), and is just outside Dean's Yard. But, Purcell's has by far the best facilities (biggest rooms, sinks in every room etc). So if you care most about comfort of living, Purcell's is probably your best bet. But the people are probably the most important, and for that you can't pick, just hope you get lucky.

What subjects are you doing? If you're doing further maths you can't do three other block subjects. In terms of workload, it really depends on your teachers - I do further maths, for example, and I get virtually no work, and I have a friend who does single and is literally drowning in maths work. I know Biology can be a lot of work, just because there's so much sheer knowledge and there's a big essay every half term. But again it depends on your teachers and also how much work you want to do yourself. But don't worry, loads of people do all sciences and maths, so you'll be fine.

(Original post by CFact)
Hi! I'm a girl who's going to Westminster School for sixth form next year and I was just wondering about a few things. I would really appreciate your opinions on either or both of these!
*What boarding house would you recommend for sixth form girls? I was asked if I have a preference-- I think the options are Liddell's, Busby's or Purcell's.
*I'm taking Chemistry, Physics, Economics, Electronics and Further Further Maths (It's a long story-- I'm taking Further Maths now). How bad do you think the workload will be? Roughly how long does everyone spend on each subject on average in terms of homework?
Thanks!
MeiMei15401
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CFact)
Thanks so much for your help! In answer to your question, I'll be taking Chemistry, Physics, Electronics and Economics at Westminster and Further Further Maths (it's kind of a long story-- this won't be directly through Westminster).
I just have one more quick question: Do all sixth-form boarders get their own room? I went on a tour of Liddell's, I think, and all the girls seemed to have their own room. Is this true for the other houses, as well? Thanks so much!
Oh I see, as in you'll take maths, chem, physics and econ, then electronics and further maths out of block? Doing a subject out of school (ie further maths) might prove extremely difficult - especially at a school like Westminster where there's a huge amount of extra-curricular stuff going on. I'd personally reconsider doing Further maths out of school, especially if it's not directly relevant for what you want to do at uni/work.

All boarders have their own rooms except in Purcell's where one pair share every term. But this swaps around so if you do end up sharing, you'll only share for a maximum of one term. Also the people who share are only in the sixth form, in Remove everyone's guaranteed a single room.
CFact
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks! This was really helpful!

(Original post by MeiMei15401)
Oh I see, as in you'll take maths, chem, physics and econ, then electronics and further maths out of block? Doing a subject out of school (ie further maths) might prove extremely difficult - especially at a school like Westminster where there's a huge amount of extra-curricular stuff going on. I'd personally reconsider doing Further maths out of school, especially if it's not directly relevant for what you want to do at uni/work.

All boarders have their own rooms except in Purcell's where one pair share every term. But this swaps around so if you do end up sharing, you'll only share for a maximum of one term. Also the people who share are only in the sixth form, in Remove everyone's guaranteed a single room.
alexia_hjh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
physicseastldn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what subjects do you do
mdelecq
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by CFact)
*What boarding house would you recommend for sixth form girls? I think the options are Liddell's, Busby's or Purcell's.
*Roughly how long does everyone spend on each subject on average in terms of homework?
Thanks!
Hey! I'm applying and would love some help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (23)
6.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.82%
No (128)
35.75%

Watched Threads