The Student Room Group

Depression note from doctors

Hi

I've always struggled with my depression since secondary school but in the past 3/4 months my depression has worsen (mainly because of my ex leaving me) around the same time I started my second year of university (redoing the first year even though I disliked the course) again this has worsen my depression. Around a month ago I visited the doctors as it was getting way too much and got given anti depressants and therapy and she said I would need to make changes as well, which I did by applying for other universities which i've received an offer from one and I want to go in September but I can only get funded for 2 years by student finance and this is the only thing preventing me from going and cannot afford the first year and was wondering what kind of information I would need when asking for a doctors note about my depression (as I have a follow up appointment within the next couple of days) so I could send it to student finance and hopefully get funded for my first year of university again while starting my new course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Goose722
Hi

I've always struggled with my depression since secondary school but in the past 3/4 months my depression has worsen (mainly because of my ex leaving me) around the same time I started my second year of university (redoing the first year even though I disliked the course) again this has worsen my depression. Around a month ago I visited the doctors as it was getting way too much and got given anti depressants and therapy and she said I would need to make changes as well, which I did by applying for other universities which i've received an offer from one and I want to go in September but I can only get funded for 2 years by student finance and this is the only thing preventing me from going and cannot afford the first year and was wondering what kind of information I would need when asking for a doctors note about my depression (as I have a follow up appointment within the next couple of days) so I could send it to student finance and hopefully get funded for my first year of university again while starting my new course.

Well your Doctor will know I think..
Be with people who'll get you out of it not with those who will pull you down..
Reply 2
Hi

You need to apply for the Student Finance "Compelling Personal Reasons", which might let you claw back a year of SF funding.

Your doctor will need to write SF a more detailed letter than just a standard note. They will need to describe your symptoms/diagnosis and explain why they prevented you from continuing with your first degree. As you're going straight into a new degree, it would also help if they could explain why you won't have the same problem with your new degree. The emphasis needs to be on demonstrating why it would be impossible for you to continue with your current degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
You need to apply for the Student Finance "Compelling Personal Reasons", which might let you claw back a year of SF funding.

Your doctor will need to write SF a more detailed letter than just a standard note. They will need to describe your symptoms/diagnosis and explain why they prevented you from continuing with your first degree. As you're going straight into a new degree, it would also help if they could explain why you won't have the same problem with your new degree. The emphasis needs to be on demonstrating why it would be impossible for you to continue with your current degree.

Thanks. I'm guessing I can find this while applying normally for SF?
Reply 4
Thanks. I'm guessing I can find this while applying normally for SF?

No, it's a separate process which you're best off completing before you start the next course, or SF will refuse to fund your first year.

I believe you need to phone SF and ask them to send you the form.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
No, it's a separate process which you're best off completing before you start the next course, or SF will refuse to fund your first year.

I believe you need to phone SF and ask them to send you the form.

Oh okay then, thanks very much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending