mathmari
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello!!

I have studied applied maths and I have done my master in the field Mathematics of Computer Science.

Now I am looking for a job.

Are there jobs that are related to my studies?

My master was more related to theoretical computer science than to practical. At which kind of jobs is this needed? Only in the research field?
Killerpenguin15
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could become a Software Engineer?
username2130115
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it sounds like you'd be interested in data science. i'm sure you know it's a field of computer science and statistics. http://www.payscale.com/research/UK/...ist,_IT/Salary
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mathmari)
Hello!!

I have studied applied maths and I have done my master in the field Mathematics of Computer Science.

My master was more related to theoretical computer science than to practical. At which kind of jobs is this needed? Only in the research field?
Off the top of my head:

Algorithmic Trader
Quantitative Developer
Quantitative Analyst
Data Scientist
Software Engineer at an algorithm heavy tech company
Product Manager
High Frequency Trader
A PhD in Theoretical CompSci
username2130115
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
is quantitative development more of a career for postgraduate/phd students? i've looked at some of the job advertisements and most of them say it's highly desirable to have a phd in in statistics/machine learning. how can an undergraduate build a career path to a quantitative development role?
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A masters is usually enough. But yeah, for the most part they are looking for PhD level candidates.

Well, you apply to quant dev internships at fintech companies, banks, high frequency trading firms etc. If you manage to nab one, you're well on your way.

Note: the interview process is riddled with brainteasers, mental maths tests, mathematical modelling cases, verbal programming etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2130115
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A masters is usually enough. But yeah, for the most part they are looking for PhD level candidates.

Well, you apply to quant dev internships at fintech companies, banks, high frequency trading firms etc. If you manage to nab one, you're well on your way.

Note: the interview process is riddled with brainteasers, mental maths tests, mathematical modelling cases, verbal programming etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you have to be at a target/semi-target to have a reasonable chance of securing an intern? i firmed university of york, i don't think it's a semi-target though.
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Usually yeah, but nothing is stopping you from trying from York! Not to mention the top tech companies (google, facebook etc) are accessible so long as you do well in their coding interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2130115
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Usually yeah, but nothing is stopping you from trying from York! Not to mention the top tech companies (google, facebook etc) are accessible so long as you do well in their coding interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
are software engineering jobs at companies like google and facebook less competitive than quantitative developer jobs? how many years of experience does it take to become a software architect at a company like google/facebook?
the greatest
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My impression on this is that they are the opposite. QD isn't greatly competitive compared to software engineering jobs in top tech companies, specifically in the UK.

I'm aware in the USA this is a different story as I believe it's easier to get a job with these top tech companies especially considering when it is not the head office in mountain view/silicon valley.
the greatest
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mathmari)
Hello!!

Data science is apparently a hot job at the minute, could be something that might interest you.

http://www.indeed.co.uk/Data-Scientist-jobs-in-London
username2130115
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what extra curricular activities should i partake in if i want to increase my chance of securing an internship? e.g. programming projects, stuff to go on github etc. any ideas?
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd say it's MUCH more competitive to get a job as Quant Dev. You're competing against some of the best mathematical and software minds out there, for a handful of jobs. Whereas the top tech guys hire on loads of interns (and subsequently grad software engineers) so if you're good enough you'll probably manage to get in somewhere.

You also have to bear in mind that at that scale, you aren't simply tied down to the UK; you could apply to Silicon Valley, Zurich, Dublin etc and the company would cover any relocation requirements.

You don't become a 'Software Architect' as such. You rise through the ranks as a Software Engineer, then either branch into engineering management or a senior software engineering role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Those are along the right path. Get some programming projects done, see if you can help teach a module at uni/be a course rep for CS, go to hackathons and flesh out your github account.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the greatest
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd say it's MUCH more competitive to get a job as Quant Dev. You're competing against some of the best mathematical and software minds out there, for a handful of jobs. Whereas the top tech guys hire on loads of interns (and subsequently grad software engineers) so if you're good enough you'll probably manage to get in somewhere.

You also have to bear in mind that at that scale, you aren't simply tied down to the UK; you could apply to Silicon Valley, Zurich, Dublin etc and the company would cover any relocation requirements.

You don't become a 'Software Architect' as such. You rise through the ranks as a Software Engineer, then either branch into engineering management or a senior software engineering role.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually i think this a big misconception regarding quantitative developers. Within recent times and graduates I feel the job market for these jobs isn't competitive as it used to be. Similarly with quantitative analysts jobs, there was a big jump in demand till about 2008-09 then it declined now its just risen again, however it is a bit of a different story.

Within the UK itself I feel however a software engineer for FB, Google say is much more competitive as of the office it has and the number of offices.
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the greatest)
Actually i think this a big misconception regarding quantitative developers. Within recent times and graduates I feel the job market for these jobs isn't competitive as it used to be. Similarly with quantitative analysts jobs, there was a big jump in demand till about 2008-09 then it declined now its just risen again, however it is a bit of a different story.

Within the UK itself I feel however a software engineer for FB, Google say is much more competitive as of the office it has and the number of offices.
In the UK yes, but you can apply to any office at the large tech companies. Google Zurich for example takes on swathes of engineers every year.

I feel Quant Analyst/Dev roles are much more prone to be at smaller prop firms and quant hedge funds. These places rarely higher more than a handful of new recruits each year, not to mention how rigorous the application process is for these roles. As a function of rigour, scarcity and requirements; I'd give the more competitive badge to the quants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2130115
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Those are along the right path. Get some programming projects done, see if you can help teach a module at uni/be a course rep for CS, go to hackathons and flesh out your github account.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm in sixth form preparing for mock exams. when my real exams are over, i'm probably gonna spend my time programming and learning algorithm analysis. i was thinking about writing an algebra calculator to work out basic derivatives and integrals, simultaneous equations, area under curve, elementary stuff, etc. what other projects would you suggest i do that would impress employers?
the greatest
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the UK yes, but you can apply to any office at the large tech companies. Google Zurich for example takes on swathes of engineers every year.

I feel Quant Analyst/Dev roles are much more prone to be at smaller prop firms and quant hedge funds. These places rarely higher more than a handful of new recruits each year, not to mention how rigorous the application process is for these roles. As a function of rigour, scarcity and requirements; I'd give the more competitive badge to the quants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes however with graduates from the UK applying to top global offices I feel there is a somewhat hierarchical system where the top universities usually get these positions more often as well as an increase in recruiters hiring PhD candidates in computer science for these roles.

These days tbh the difference between a quant and a quant developer is becoming less and less I feel, much of of what both do is majority programming, and if we are discussing quant jobs then just based on the merit of that you need a MSc at least ok I agree, but otherwise I know many people from my university who have secured jobs as quantitative developers, who have said despite the tough procedure most got through.
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Stuff you want to do.. I don't know anything about your interests, only you do! Don't think about how 'impressive' it'll sound just do things you find interesting.

Btw, google have a first year internship called the STEP programme (look it up), definitely apply once you get to uni.
username2130115
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Stuff you want to do.. I don't know anything about your interests, only you do! Don't think about how 'impressive' it'll sound just do things you find interesting.

Btw, google have a first year internship called the STEP programme (look it up), definitely apply once you get to uni.
i would rep you for answering my questions but it says prsom
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads