The Student Room Group

Urgent UCAS question

Does anyone know if you can reapply in the same academic year if you withdrew your application in the first 14 days? I was assured on the phone with UCAS that you could but now I'm worried because I can't find anything on thier site to corroborate this.
Original post by 54seven
Does anyone know if you can reapply in the same academic year if you withdrew your application in the first 14 days? I was assured on the phone with UCAS that you could but now I'm worried because I can't find anything on thier site to corroborate this.

If you called and they said yes then its a yes.
Try and make a new application now to check?
Reply 2
When I go on my UCAS account my old application is still there and it won't let me change it. Really worried now :frown:
Original post by 54seven
When I go on my UCAS account my old application is still there and it won't let me change it. Really worried now :frown:

cant just make a new one?
Reply 4
Original post by skeptical_john
cant just make a new one?

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do that. Please does anyone know anything about this situation?
Original post by 54seven
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to do that. Please does anyone know anything about this situation?

You're probably just going to have to wait to phone UCAS on Tuesday. Perhaps it something that needs to be reset at their end.
Original post by 54seven

What was your aim in withdrawing and reapplying? Is it because you have decided to apply to different universities, or because you want to apply for a different subject, with a changed personal statment?

In case UCAS do now tell you that you cannot reapply until September 2016, you need to think about what to do next. You could point out to UCAS that you did intend to make a revised application this year, and to a certain extent, a current year UCAS application can be changed (for instance, you could ask any of the universities that you applied to, to change your application to another course at that university; or you could cancel all your current choices, and make a single application to just one university when Extra opens in February). If you want to do either of these, UCAS would first have to reinstate your application - if it has already been cancelled (I am not clear about the current status of your application). The 14 day deadline appears to be related to refunding your application fee - have UCAS repaid this?

However, if you are thinking of applying to another course entirely, then your current personal statement will not be focussed on the new course - perhaps it would be best for you to focus on your current studies, get some work expreience, decide firmly on what choices you want to make and then make a new UCAS application in September 2016, or even later. There is absolutely no requirement to rush to university at 18; you are likely to make better choices by going later to university.
Original post by 54seven

I honestly don't think you can. I remember reading you have to apply during the next academic year. You can swap Uni choices but only for a week
I did it last year, just ring them and ask them to reinstate your application, if you turned down all your offers that'll still be there so you have to use extra

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Holmstock
What was your aim in withdrawing and reapplying? Is it because you have decided to apply to different universities, or because you want to apply for a different subject, with a changed personal statment?

In case UCAS do now tell you that you cannot reapply until September 2016, you need to think about what to do next. You could point out to UCAS that you did intend to make a revised application this year, and to a certain extent, a current year UCAS application can be changed (for instance, you could ask any of the universities that you applied to, to change your application to another course at that university; or you could cancel all your current choices, and make a single application to just one university when Extra opens in February). If you want to do either of these, UCAS would first have to reinstate your application - if it has already been cancelled (I am not clear about the current status of your application). The 14 day deadline appears to be related to refunding your application fee - have UCAS repaid this?

However, if you are thinking of applying to another course entirely, then your current personal statement will not be focussed on the new course - perhaps it would be best for you to focus on your current studies, get some work expreience, decide firmly on what choices you want to make and then make a new UCAS application in September 2016, or even later. There is absolutely no requirement to rush to university at 18; you are likely to make better choices by going later to university.

This is going to sound stupid but I didn't really have an aim. I've been really stressed lately and I panicked and became convinced that I couldn't do any of the courses so I cancelled. Like I said I was told over the phone that I would be able to reapply but I hadn't at the time got any firm plan as to whether I was going to do that. It was just a moment of madness really and I regret it so much now. I'm actually in my early twenties I've been out of education a little while and I was so desperate to get back into it :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by AdorableDrip
I did it last year, just ring them and ask them to reinstate your application, if you turned down all your offers that'll still be there so you have to use extra

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi do you mean you were able to completely reinstate your old application after withdrawing it? I hadn't actually received any offers on mine when I withdrew it I don't know what difference that might make.
Reply 11
It definitely used to be possible, but I haven't seen anything on the UCAS site about it this year - they do like hiding information, and usually make announcements about changes, though.

With this time of year there are lots of bank holidays and that won't be helping with processing the withdrawal. You'll just have to wait and contact UCAS again on Tuesday. It would be a good idea to go over your personal statement so that when this is sorted you'll be able to send the application straight away.
Original post by 54seven
Hi do you mean you were able to completely reinstate your old application after withdrawing it? I hadn't actually received any offers on mine when I withdrew it I don't know what difference that might make.

Yeah, just rang them up asked them and they did it instantly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by AdorableDrip
Yeah, just rang them up asked them and they did it instantly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for this that gives me a bit of hope.
Reply 14
Original post by Juno
It definitely used to be possible, but I haven't seen anything on the UCAS site about it this year - they do like hiding information, and usually make announcements about changes, though.

With this time of year there are lots of bank holidays and that won't be helping with processing the withdrawal. You'll just have to wait and contact UCAS again on Tuesday. It would be a good idea to go over your personal statement so that when this is sorted you'll be able to send the application straight away.

Thanks for the advice. They did say on the phone that it was possible but when I couldn't find anything on thier website about it I thought maybe they'd misunderstood what I was asking. Maybe not though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending