The Student Room Group

University students: Any point of making notes for your degree?

Poll

Do you make notes?

At my university the lecture slides are uploaded online at my university's moodle (which I assume all universities have or something similar). Also is it even more pointless to make notes if your course is very technical/mathematical? Do you advise practising questions from books/papers instead of wasting time making notes? When I say making notes I don't mean writing notes during lecture but writing notes in my spare time.
(edited 8 years ago)
well if your only planning to gain insight from looking at the slides online then why bother even turning up to the lecture?

I take notes at lectures because it helps me remember... most of the people in my lectures just get their laptops out and look at the same slides simultaneously (waste of electricity) or go on facebook and reddit (waste of lecture time)
yes
Yeah, it helps me remember things and understand topics in more depth
My course is mostly technical and I only write notes on something the lecturer says. For everything else I use the powerpoint slides on moodle. I still write notes from those powerpoints to help with revision for my certification exams though
Reply 5
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
At my university the lecture slides are uploaded online at my university's moodle (which I assume all universities have or something similar). Also is it even more pointless to make notes if your course is very technical/mathematical? Do you advise practicing questions from books/papers instead of wasting time making notes?

Are you referring to making notes during lecture or just in general?
Original post by kkboyk
Are you referring to making notes during lecture or just in general?

I have no problem making notes in lectures. I was talking about making notes in my own time.
Reply 7
If they don't provide the notes online, then of course 100% yes, otherwise no. I'll make notes when I come to revise topics for tests.
Lecture slides aren't always enough. The lecturer usually adds extra stuff. I try to get what I can down then watch the recordings and get the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
At my university the lecture slides are uploaded online at my university's moodle (which I assume all universities have or something similar). Also is it even more pointless to make notes if your course is very technical/mathematical? Do you advise practising questions from books/papers instead of wasting time making notes? When I say making notes I don't mean writing notes during lecture but writing notes in my spare time.

If it helps you understand and remember, yes. If not, no.

I find it helps me to memorise definitions, proofs etc. and if I'm trying to understand something I'll invariably need to be writing stuff down. I'd never try to write notes for an entire module or anything though.

Quick Reply

Latest