Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PYA5 Debates ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    reductionism....I seem to have lost all my notes on this topic... I think I understand the general gist though...do you reckon it'll be on the paper? Do we have to know the humanistic approach? my teacher was quite vague about the whole thing!
    Has anyone got a model answer for reductionism they can post? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    Wow! Thanks ShadowStorm!! That was really useful (and a big confidence boost!).
    Any time, glad I could help.

ReputationRep:
    For Approaches, I'm only going to focus on the Behavioural and Psychodynamic approach, mainly because we were only taught them two. After all, the main strength of both approaches is that they both can explain all behaviours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidori)
    For Approaches, I'm only going to focus on the Behavioural and Psychodynamic approach, mainly because we were only taught them two. After all, the main strength of both approaches is that they both can explain all behaviours.
    how would you apply the psychodynamic approach to the whole mobile phone thing?

ReputationRep:
    Mark always had to have the latest mobile phone on the market, before any of his friends. He actually did not use the phone that much but still wanted to have all the features, colour screen, built in camera, flashing lights, and a seemingly endless range of ring tones...

Something about the Id demanding instant gratification (through getting mobile phones first) - dunno though, i'm confuzzled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    Mark always had to have the latest mobile phone on the market, before any of his friends. He actually did not use the phone that much but still wanted to have all the features, colour screen, built in camera, flashing lights, and a seemingly endless range of ring tones...

Something about the Id demanding instant gratification (through getting mobile phones first) - dunno though, i'm confuzzled
    It would be too hard to do i think, i guess im going to have to learn more. Im sure you could relate it to the oral stage or something. He likes things near his mouth, he likes to talk... or just not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_guy769)
    how would you apply the psychodynamic approach to the whole mobile phone thing?
    Well, this is off the top of my head but you could suggest that during some point of his childhood, he may have been bullied or felt unloved. By owning a mobile phone like his mates, he may become more accepted and make more friends. Also, for females, you could suggest that they feel as though something major is missing in their life and that owning a mobile phone could make up for their penis envy. They may have also suffered a high-controlled childhood where they weren't allowed to go out much so by having a mobile phone, it gives them a sense of freedom. Also, by following the latest trends, males may seem more attractive to their mothers than their old-fashioned fathers. As a result, their mothers will love them more than their father and this suggests that they have finally managed to triumph over their father (Oedipus complex).

I dunno, there's loads of stuff that you can say.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.