The Student Room Group

What can I do with history and maths a-levels?

I am doing maths and history a-level (as well as physics) and really enjoy both of them. Thinking about uni courses for next year, I don't really want to drop either of them but instead to a course where you can use knowledge from both of these. I would love to go to a top uni to study these too but is it even possible to have a course where you can have these subjects together in anyway?!

I really would love to hear your answers. Thank you! :-)
Original post by potassium123
I am doing maths and history a-level (as well as physics) and really enjoy both of them. Thinking about uni courses for next year, I don't really want to drop either of them but instead to a course where you can use knowledge from both of these. I would love to go to a top uni to study these too but is it even possible to have a course where you can have these subjects together in anyway?!

I did both at my A levels and for the combination was something I enjoyed very much. the real question should be what you enjoy more and potentially what you would like to do with your life after university?

If you can answer those questions, you should get a quick answer.

I know some universities like Exeter do Flexible Combined Honours where you can choose two subjects that arent traditionally linked. This may be the only opportunity to study Maths and History together. If you want a subject that can link aspects of both then PPE may be an option to take. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the greatest
I did both at my A levels and for the combination was something I enjoyed very much. the real question should be what you enjoy more and potentially what you would like to do with your life after university?

If you can answer those questions, you should get a quick answer.

Hi thanks for your answer! I am thinking of doing something in financial analysis or diplomacy after uni! What did you do after your a levels? :smile:
Hi thanks for your answer! I am thinking of doing something in financial analysis or diplomacy after uni! What did you do after your a levels? :smile:

So you have good selection of what you want to do which is fine! You will find out more during this year what you will want in life in terms of a job, and what subject you enjoy more.

I've done 5 years of university in math and statistics now 3 more in maths starting this year.
Original post by Ben4
I know some universities like Exeter do Flexible Combined Honours where you can choose two subjects that arent traditionally linked. This may be the only opportunity to study Maths and History together. If you want a subject that can link aspects of both then PPE may be an option to take. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have heard of PPE, but I do not take Philosophy, Politics or Economics A-Levels! Would I be at a disadvantage because I don't do any of these subjects? I am in fact interested in all three of these subjects, but have never studied any of them except philosophy at GCSE
Original post by the greatest
So you have good selection of what you want to do which is fine! You will find out more during this year what you will want in life in terms of a job, and what subject you enjoy more.

I've done 5 years of university in math and statistics now 3 more in maths starting this year.

Wow that sounds difficult! Did you do Further Maths as well then?
I have heard of PPE, but I do not take Philosophy, Politics or Economics A-Levels! Would I be at a disadvantage because I don't do any of these subjects? I am in fact interested in all three of these subjects, but have never studied any of them except philosophy at GCSE

Well from the Oxford website it seems they will appreciate any subject combination, but MATHS and HISTORY would be beneficial. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Economics, Economics and Politics, PPE (Philosophy, Politics, and Economics), HPE (History, Politics, and Economics), Economic History. These are all just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.

Quick Reply

Latest