Rolling Stone urges court to throw out lawsuit by three men falsely accused of rape. Watch

TheCitizenAct
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The 'Jackie' story. You probably haven't heard it, it was all over the US for weeks and weeks. Rolling Stone magazined commissioned a reporter to investigate 'rape on campus'; the reporter (a woman) wanted to find the most harrowing case, and she eventually came across a woman called 'Jackie' (her real name was omitted from the record).

Jackie gave a very detailed account of a gang rape she had suffered as part of an initiation ritual at a fraternity. Rolling Stone took hold of the story and stuck it on the front page. The boys were suspended (in fact, ALL fraternities were suspended), Jackie was mollycoddled, the fraternity's name, and all associated with it, were dragged through the mud by the entire American MSM - professors lined-up to stick a boot in to 'sick' fraternity culture.

The fraternity house was vandalised (cinder blocks and empty bottles were thrown through the windows), and the Associate Dean of the University received death threats. All of the boys had to abandon their house, and seek alternate accommodation. Their names were ruined.

The author didn't reach out to the accused for their side of the story, it just went straight to the front page. In anticipation of a ferocious with hunt, none of the sources were verified - the 'fact checker' didn't even verify the story with 'Jackie's friends.' Upon further investigation, numerous inaccuracies emerged - it turns out there wasn't even a party on the night in question.

Needless to say, she made the whole thing up. All of it. Rolling Stone retracted the story, and is now urging the court to throw out the lawsuit.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/rolling-...uit-1450965373

#WomenAreOppressed
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
This was the author's pathetic, meek apology: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/bu...dely.html?_r=0

Note the absence of any apology to the accused, or the fraternity. These boys lives have been turned upside down and still, the dominant them of the apology is non-existent victims of rape or sexual assault. Despicable.
abruiseonthesky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is exactly why people accused of serious crimes should be anonymous in the press and in the public eye until/if convicted.

However, I'd also like to point out that under 0.5% of rape accusations are proven to be false.
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
(Original post by abruiseonthesky)
This is exactly why people accused of serious crimes should be anonymous in the press and in the public eye until/if convicted.

However, I'd also like to point out that under 0.5% of rape accusations are proven to be false.
Upwards of 8% in the US, but such a thing is impossible to measure, largely owing to widely disparate definitions of 'falseness.'

It's much like reporting on rape. While many deem Sweden to be 'the rape capital of Europe', it's anything but. They just report differently. Whereby one perpetrator raping a woman or man multiple times would be classified as one instance of rape in certain countries, in Sweden each instance of rape is counted as an individual instance (which is right, in my view).
abruiseonthesky
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheCitizenAct)
Upwards of 8% in the US, but such a thing is impossible to measure, largely owing to widely disparate definitions of 'falseness.'

It's much like reporting on rape. While many deem Sweden to be 'the rape capital of Europe', it's anything but. They just report differently. Whereby one perpetrator raping a woman or man multiple times would be classified as one instance of rape in certain countries, in Sweden each instance of rape is counted as an individual instance (which is right, in my view).
In the UK it's under 0.5% (or was last time I saw stats, anyway).
I'll agree with disparate definitions of falseness, though. Imo, if there was no attack at all, it's a false accusation. If there was an attack but it wasn't technically rape, it's just inaccurate, because there's still a sexual crime involved if that makes sense?
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
In the UK it's under 0.5% (or was last time I saw stats, anyway).
I'll agree with disparate definitions of falseness, though. Imo, if there was no attack at all, it's a false accusation. If there was an attack but it wasn't technically rape, it's just inaccurate, because there's still a sexual crime involved if that makes sense?
Yep. However, if there isn't enough evidence to push for a conviction, it doesn't mean it wasn't false either.

For all we like to talk about the number of cases which go unreported, we often fail to discuss the number of false accusation which go unreported, which, likewise, have far-reaching implications for the psychological well-being of the accused (mud sticks, ask Nigel Evans MP).
abruiseonthesky
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheCitizenAct)
Yep. However, if there isn't enough evidence to push for a conviction, it doesn't mean it wasn't false either.

For all we like to talk about the number of cases which go unreported, we often fail to discuss the number of false accusation which go unreported, which, likewise, have far-reaching implications for the psychological well-being of the accused (mud sticks, ask Nigel Evans MP).
Indeed.

That problem would be solved by my earlier suggestion.
Vaginal_Rights
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Don't know where you pulled that stat from, it's actually 2 to 10 per cent.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...jason-richwine
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Where did you get those stats from Abruise?
abruiseonthesky
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Vaginal_Rights)
Don't know where you pulled that stat from, it's actually 2 to 10 per cent.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...jason-richwine
Depends where you look. This says 0.6%, then says the MoJ's estimate was 8-11%. Annoyingly, I can't find the original Guardian article (it's actually really annoying me now )
Major Zero
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
False rape accusers should be sentenced to prison and be made to pay out a hefty settlement for the tarnishing of the accused's name(s).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise