JohnDoe777777
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As per title, best exit ops (currently in financial services tax, yet to qualify)?

Switch to transaction services to lateral to IBD/PE?
Go for IBD experienced analyst?
Go for ER with a view to getting into HF?

What would you do?
jonathanmaxon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JohnDoe777777)
As per title, best exit ops (currently in financial services tax, yet to qualify)?

What would you do?
I think out of the options you mentioned, ER / HFs (and you should also consider mutual funds like Fidelity) would be more suitable if you are interested in following the markets / stock picking, whereas IBD / PE if you are more interested in M&A deals.

Work / life balance at mutual funds is really good from what I have heard (much better than say IBD / PE) and the CFA is a directly relevant qualification for this kind of work.

Be aware though that the hours / stress in some of these fields, especially IBD / PE can be brutal, and the work is not as glamorous as it sounds on paper. But if you pick the right firm / team it might not be too bad. Also you could look at other areas of banking e.g. corporate banking - not as "glamorous" as the other options, but excellent work / life balance and work is still pretty interesting (from what I have heard).

Maybe just spend a few years in the big 4 transaction services / modelling groups, while you make your decision?
username2228735
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JohnDoe777777)

What would you do?
Getting into PE straight out of an audit gig is near impossible, unless you network like a 'beast'. In London, transitioning to M&A from Audit is definitely feasible and from there you can either go straight into PE or do an MBA and then enter PE.
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Going to move this to the Investment Banking and Consultancy sub-forum for you! Hopefully, you'll get more responses there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whispering Way
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Going from Big 4 Audit to Big 4 Corporate Finance to Middle Market Private Equity happens reasonably frequently. The ACA is popular among the smaller PE funds. Some people make the jump to PE directly from audit but this is much rarer and harder. As said before, networking is key for moves like this.

Otherwise, as stated, standard M&A recruitment paths are available, which could then lead to PE through the standard head-hunting. This route would probably maximise your earning potential if it allowed you to get into megafund PE. (Although with some luck HF does have higher earnings ceiling, not without risk though.)

However since you have a CFA I guess you have some interest in markets. This means the equity research -> HF route may give you the most enjoyable job. This route is the most risky though, as hedge fund recruitment is often sporadic and not standardised. In addition, some people struggle in equity research / HF as they are not personally suited to independent idea generation and the high risks involved.

Other options for you might be compliance, corporate banking, FTSE 100 etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (282)
60.65%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.73%
No- I want it (127)
27.31%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.31%

Watched Threads