The Student Room Group

University meal

What are the most essential meals that one student should know how to cook?
Reply 1
I'd suggest anything which makes cheap meat taste good and last as long as possible - spag bol, chilli con carne, cottage pie. Stuff you can cook in bulk and freeze.
Pizza.

Easy to make, keeps well, leftovers taste great. Can't really go wrong.
Reply 3
Shepherds pie, lasagne, chilli, risotto and lastly cowboy food = bangers mash and beans which is my fave with brown sauce or some sweet pickle. Yum 😎
Lasagne, chilli, chillisagne, spag bol, generic chicken casserole. Those are the really simple ones I like to do. I also cook more fancy things like steak, beef bourguignon, Lancashire hotpot (is really simple but lamb isn't cheap, halloumi wraps, home made burgers (with red onion chutney I made a few months ago)

It's also really worth the time to learn how to make your own chips. It's super cheap, tastes better than frozen ones and much healthier then deep frying them.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Some good student dinners are pasta dishes and soups, as these are easy to do and cheap to make :smile:
Reply 6
I'm surprised no one hasn't mentioned things like baked potatoes, omelettes, baked and fried eggs, rice and beans. Those are the easiest to cook, I think.
(edited 8 years ago)
Spag bol, curry, anything you can put in between two slices of bread.
Original post by Ecro
What are the most essential meals that one student should know how to cook?

Pasta/rice/noodles and then some form of meat like chicken/beef are quite cheap.

Quick Reply

Latest