The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You certainly dont have to get 8 A*'s!!! teachers and careers people will try and tell you that you must be a straight A student but its just not true! I think most people will agree with me when I say it is just as much about personality and commitment. So if its really want you want to do, don’t let old school thoughts put you off!!
Reply 2
I was predicted all A*s and got:
Geography and History at A*
German, Maths, Music, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, English lang, English lit at A
and ICT at a grade C :tongue: (that's a LONG story)
So no, you don't need 8 A*s.
I got 3A*, 5A and 4B's and two offers, Bristol and RVC.
Definitely not! The minimum requirements are 5A*/A at GCSE according to the university prospectus'
Reply 5
I know you asked about Edinburgh specifically, but Nottingham say:
Minimum of 5 grade As to include Chemistry, Biology and Physics (or the science double award).
Grade A at AS Level Physics can compensate for achieving grade B at GCSE.
Minimum of grade B in Maths and English Language
I thought I'd messed up by getting B at GCSE Chemistry but I'm predicted an A in the A-level so they just kind of passed it by. I think if you don't get an A in GCSE Chem, Bio, Physics or maths you should take it at A-level (yeah I know you have to take chem and bio anyway!) to prove that you can do it and to sort of compensate as Nott said above. Thats what i would do, just to be safe!
Reply 7
i got 3 A*s, 5 A's and a B and the careers advisor in my school told me my results would certainly be enough to get into vet school!you dont need straight A's never mind straight A*s!as long as you do well in your as and a levels!
Reply 8
I got 13 A*s and 1 A...dont ask how, still tryng to work that one out myself! But tbh, i dont think it made a great impact, my work exp was more important by far!
Reply 9
Your results are amazing tiny tiger... but... i have to ask this...:s-smilie:. What was the A in??? lol.

I got 4A's and 7B's, not ideal i know, and can only apply to liverpool with these grades, (one uni!!) but you certainly dont need all A*s etc, the work experiance and personel statment count alot to.
Reply 10
I got 9A*s and an A at GCSE. It's not a major issue to get A*s and then apply, people are successful without getting them. I just think a string of A*s and A's will begin to stand your application out from the rest of them. Certainly for Cambridge they would look for pretty much all A*s at GCSE and high A's at AS-Level.

tiny_tiger
I got 13 A*s and 1 A...dont ask how, still tryng to work that one out myself! But tbh, i dont think it made a great impact, my work exp was more important by far!

Wow thats amazing Rachel, well done! Reiterating what she's said, work experience does also play a HUGE part, variety is key.
Reply 11
Lol thanx, and thesnow...my A was in English Language and I was 1 mark off an A* !! So apparently I can do music and French and write essay upon essay about thefirst world war but I cant speak English :p:

But to anyone who is reading this thread thinking help, dont even worry about it. As long as you make the minimum requirements for the unis you apply for, any higher will just be a bonus cos then so many other things come into play. Get as much work experience as you can and write a kick ass personal statement.
ditto that tiny tiger! i got 5A*s 4As B in RS and C in ICT. one of the A*s was in agricultural science (my school has a farm), the others were in double science, geography and maths. the As were in french, history, english language and english lit. so no you don't need straight as as ppl have said showing dedication, doing work exp, writing a gd personal statment are important too. but bristol did ask me in my interview how confident i was about getting 3As this year (I got AABB in AS level) especially an a in chem. i tried to sound confident but i don't think it worked... so be prepared for that sort of question!
Reply 13
omg! you won't believe how much of a relief it is to hear that!

i got told if you didnt get like 10 a*s you didnt stand a chance! i was GUTTED!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: thnx!!! xx
Reply 14
Lol whoever told you that is just trying to scare you, its a load of rubbish!
Reply 15
it was teachers and connexions career advisers lol

:biggrin:
haha did you get Dave? The connexions people don't really know much about vet but he did help me by telling me which unis did it ect all the way back in year 10 lol. We used to dare eachother to go into the connexions interviews and pretend to want to be something dead weird and obscure. I'm not going to say what the most popular one was incase I get a warning lol!

I got 5A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs.
Reply 17
i got
1A*, 5A, 4B, 1C and 1D... so not exactly great (compared to other vet applicants)
and the D... i have no idea wot happened there, it was french and lets just say was less than enthusiastic bout languages, but i did get a C in german! lol
but there still good grade, and they r good enough
But they did mention my C and D at interview at RVC... passing comments 'i see youve got good GCSE results, not too good at languages tho' but i got an offer so they obv didnt care that much.

just do ur best, its ur A levels that really count anyways. and all the other things
Reply 18
I got 10 A* and an A - managed to get an A* in Welsh, which i swear i cant speak a word of really... yet couldnt get one in music!! Weird... :biggrin:
Reply 19
I think that nottingham takes into consideration b/c i asked why i got rejected after my interview and they said that my interview went well but my GSCE equivalent grades were ok but ppl had better. And they said that they use these to predict your A2 grades. But dont let this discourage you.

Latest

Trending

Trending