And what expansion did you end up with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Ended with that ImageUploadedByStudent Room1451223261.324018.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Omarsa1
Ended with that ImageUploadedByStudent Room1451223261.324018.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not quite right. You should have x3+3x+3x+1x3x^3+3x+\frac{3}{x}+\frac{1}{x^3}
Reply 8
Reply 9
Original post by BuryMathsTutor
That's not quite right. You should have x3+3x+3x+1x3x^3+3x+\frac{3}{x}+\frac{1}{x^3}

You are right but how to show that it's =18

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Omarsa1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well how would you solve a quadratic? Equate it to 0, right? Using that logic, equate this one to 0. Then rearrange so that the left hand side matches the left hand side of the one in the show that. You know the right hand side must equal 18 so solve whatever ends up on the right hand side of the equation you just rearranged equal to 18. Substitute the value you get for x into the equation from the question

Quoting you so I can see the equation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Omarsa1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write it as x3+1x3+3(x+1x)x^3+\frac{1}{x^3}+3(x+\frac{1}{x}).
Reply 12
Original post by Andy98
Well how would you solve a quadratic? Equate it to 0, right? Using that logic, equate this one to 0. Then rearrange so that the left hand side matches the left hand side of the one in the show that. You know the right hand side must equal 18 so solve whatever ends up on the right hand side of the equation you just rearranged equal to 18. Substitute the value you get for x into the equation from the question

Posted from TSR Mobile

This isn't a quadratic, it's a cubic!

And you're not trying to solve for x, you're supposed to be using the information you're given, plus a rearrangement of the binomial expansion, to show that the desired expression is equal to 18. Solving for x is NOT the way to go here :smile:
Reply 13
I can't solve it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by davros

And you're not trying to solve for x, you're supposed to be using the information you're given, plus a rearrangement of the binomial expansion, to show that the desired expression is equal to 18. Solving for x is NOT the way to go here :smile:

Can't get 18 can you get

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by davros

I'm just saying how I'd do it - I know it's not a quadratic, although the equation in the show that part is a hidden quadratic. But I would rearrange the binomial expansion, then you'd have to solve 18=3x3x18= -3x - \frac{3}{x} in order to prove the other bit. Or have I been doing maths wrong my entire life?
Reply 16
Original post by Andy98
I'm just saying how I'd do it - I know it's not a quadratic, although the equation in the show that part is a hidden quadratic. But I would rearrange the binomial expansion, then you'd have to solve 18=3x3x18= -3x - \frac{3}{x} in order to prove the other bit. Or have I been doing maths wrong my entire life?

You don't want to find xx.
Reply 17
Original post by Zacken
You don't want to find xx.

But you have to show that the equation works, and I can't imagine it being proof by induction

Yeah so that s&it is now equal to 27, since we know it's equal to (x+1/x)^3 and x+1/x is 3 so the whole thing is 3^3=27.
Then take 3 out and solve for what you need, as other people have said.
Reply 19
Original post by Andy98
But you have to show that the equation works, and I can't imagine it being proof by induction

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest