Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find it? I know clinical and criminal on unit 4 were really difficult! Health psychology on unit 5 wasn't too good either... Though I think the methods bit was quite good (I don't like to say 'easy!')
    Damn, and I needed to do well in that

ReputationRep:
    Yay! I almost gave up hoping anyone else on UKL did edexcel Psychology! And you even do the exact same modules (Criminological and clinical).
    I found Unit 4 alright, a bit tight on time though at the end.
    Unit 5 was ok too, but child was unlike any of the past papers I've seen (What is re-ordering?! :confused: ) but I guess I did ok on that too (although time was a bit tight for the psychological studies of 'factors affecting childhood popularity' question).

M x

Ps. how is the revision for unit 6 going?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the eyewitness testimony question was hard, as was the validity and reliability question on clinical. As for child I didn't do it... Did health instead, and the questions on that were weird too. I liked the research methods bit though - very straight forward don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    I thought the eyewitness testimony question was hard, as was the validity and reliability question on clinical. As for child I didn't do it... Did health instead, and the questions on that were weird too. I liked the research methods bit though - very straight forward don't you think?
    To be honest, I was not sure what to write for the validity question, although I had revised it. Lucky the terms concurrent validity, etiological validity and inter-rater reliability (and the Beck study on inter-rater reliability) came back to me, so I tried to guess what they were and wrote about them and how if correct they make it easier to treat patients and do research. There was another type of validity but I could not remember it :rolleyes: .

Research methods were not bad. I can't believe it carries the same amount of marks as the other papers!

M x

ReputationRep:
    I did it too! I thought the papers were okay. I was a bit thrown on "how to improve eyewitness testimony", I didn't look at that in the book because I thought it was another one of the irrelevent things (of which there are many in the textbook). I just wittered on about cognitive interviews, arousal and cue-dependent memory! The Just World Hypothesis long question was a bit strange as well, but I think I answered it okay.

Unit 5 was lovely, I was a bit stuck on the P value question but otherwise I felt the rest of the paper went well. I did the methods bit quickly so I had looads of time for the rest of it.

ReputationRep:
    Criminal sucked. I walked out 20 mins early I was soo pissed off.

Didnt think the Child paper was too bad, apart from my timing going to pot on the popularity of kids one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_the_nun)
    Criminal sucked. I walked out 20 mins early I was soo pissed off.
    Nice one!

Yeah I felt the same about the eyewitness question - I thought we were just supposed to know about studies such as Loftus and Palmer. I rambled on about hypnosis, leading questions, false memories, child witnesses and poo like that.

Just world hypothesis was very strange, but loads of stuff came back to me as I planned it. I couldn't define it for 3 marks though without examples, and that came into the second part of the question!

Sounds like I messed up the validity/reliability question then.

I say that since the papers were hard then maybe the grade boundaries won't be as tight, but saying that did anyone see last year's ridiculous synoptic paper? The grade boundaries went down by only 3 marks overall!

Is everyone ready for the synoptic on Wednesday by the way? I'm not, and definitely won't be... Have my RS synoptic on Wednesday morning and I definitely need to put more effort into that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Just world hypothesis was very strange, but loads of stuff came back to me as I planned it. I couldn't define it for 3 marks though without examples, and that came into the second part of the question!
    Same here :/ But I don't think it will go against us!

I'm not particularly enthralled about the synoptic, but I've remembered lots of studies from AS like Pavlov, Milgram etc so I'm not worried about the synopticy element, it's just stupid stuff like "is Psychology a science" and moral and social control shite that I have to remember. At least we get to pick the questions we want to do! That'll be a big plus, we don't have to attempt something completely crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    Same here :/ But I don't think it will go against us!

I'm not particularly enthralled about the synoptic, but I've remembered lots of studies from AS like Pavlov, Milgram etc so I'm not worried about the synopticy element, it's just stupid stuff like "is Psychology a science" and moral and social control shite that I have to remember. At least we get to pick the questions we want to do! That'll be a big plus, we don't have to attempt something completely crap
    Yeah I came to that conclusion too. I know it's a bit risky to try and predict the questions, but I'm quite sure there'll be a question on the nature/nurture debate this year, as two years ago they asked about psychology being a science, then there were no questions about issues and debates in psychology last year. That should be a good one - I think all you do is outline what is meant by 'nature' and 'nurture' and then go through each of the 6 approaches, looking at whether they look at nature, nurture or both.

ReputationRep:
    ive so failed that exam, i needed a B but i wont get it.

For the reliability/validity question i banged on about Beck et al and also about how you cant predict results

The Social Approaches question got me though, extremley hard as i forgot to mention crisis intervention

TROD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TROD)

The Social Approaches question got me though, extremley hard as i forgot to mention crisis intervention

TROD.
    Same here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    I say that since the papers were hard then maybe the grade boundaries won't be as tight, but saying that did anyone see last year's ridiculous synoptic paper? The grade boundaries went down by only 3 marks overall!
    No, I don't think I've seen that paper. Could you please post the 20 mark (or however many marks the big questions were worth) mark questions?
    Please .

M x

ReputationRep:
    OK, the June 2003 20 mark questions are as follows...

1. What challenges are raised for the professional psychologist by the social implications of psychological research?

2. Discuss ethical issues arising from the application of psychology to the real world.

3. Compare and contrast two approaches or perspectives in psychology.

Obviously the third one's pretty good but the other two are awful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)

1. What challenges are raised for the professional psychologist by the social implications of psychological research?

2. Discuss ethical issues arising from the application of psychology to the real world.

That paper was bloody ridiculous, I think a monkey wrote it. I would have gone for 2 and 3, myself.

And about the social approaches question, I think most people found that a bit tricky, so hopefully the grade boundaries will have lowered a little. Here's hoping!

ReputationRep:
    Ill tell you what, if we get a simple "describe two approaches from psycholopgy (20)" ill jump for joy

that and one on nature/nurture, lol

TROD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)

Thanks Leaby

Not sure which ones I'd do, 3 is probably the easiest...

Hum, need to think about the other 2... :rolleyes:

M x

ReputationRep:
    id obviously do 3 and probably 2, since im not revising 1. lol

TROD.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i also found unit 4 extremely difficult and for me it was a resit as ihad already failed it back i january. was it a resit for anybody else? i found this one harder than the january 2004 one so i stand no chance. The question on reliability/validity i didnt have a clue and social question was hard. The just world hypothesis questionon criminal threw me as did the improving eyewitness testiony! The research methods was great and hopefully pick up the overall grade a bit, what would we do without that paper! Child was not too bad but different to past exam papers i have seen. Like everyone else is hping, i hope the grade boundaries get ammended. good luck for unit 6!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TROD)
    Ill tell you what, if we get a simple "describe two approaches from psycholopgy (20)" ill jump for joy

that and one on nature/nurture, lol

TROD.
    Nature/nurture's got a very good chance of coming up!

Bear in mind that the rest of that paper was also difficult - not just the 20 mark questions. I'dve failed for sure. My teacher said that in the examiner's report it was advised that they don't set a paper that hard again! Let's hope that advice was taken up...

Yeah, it was definitely written by a monkey...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.