Tiffy Toola
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,I'm looking into studying abroad for either a semester or a full year. The university I go to used to have partner schools and an adviser but that's all gone. The careers team did give me a few resources to look at but this was mostly for post-graduate. I have looked into the Eurasmus+ but I would prefer to study in Japan. The programmes I've looked into are taught in English being as my Japanese is basic level at best. Has anyone had any experience of applying to study abroad (EU or outside) or know of anyone that has?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
If your university no longer has a partner university in Japan then you can't study abroad there. Are you sure that partnership is finished? If it really is gone then Europe is your only option.
XxKingSniprxX
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
If your university no longer has a partner university in Japan then you can't study abroad there. Are you sure that partnership is finished? If it really is gone then Europe is your only option.
I'm doing my A2 A levels and applying to uni atm.

Just for clarification, if a university is partnered with other universities abroad
E.g X russell group is partnered with Y uni in France/Germany etc are you expected to be fluent or hold a qualification in that language? If so, to what standard?

E.g would universities expect a GCSE or A level qualification in that language corresponding to the Y university you want to visit abroad to study for a semester/year? Also, would the course be taught 100% in that language or in English aswell?

I'm considering to apply for a year abroad when I'm at University.
Tiffy Toola
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
The uni was part of De Montford but broke away and seems to be starting a lot of things from scratch.

I think the partner schools were in the EU and US. (The information they had was extremely minimal.) I know that if I do choose to go outside of the EU, I'll have to pay the going rate for the uni. I have heard of scholarships and the like but information is either scattered in the wind or confusing.
Tiffy Toola
Rep:
?
(Original post by XxKingSniprxX)

Just for clarification, if a university is partnered with other universities abroad
E.g X russell group is partnered with Y uni in France/Germany etc are you expected to be fluent or hold a qualification in that language? If so, to what standard?

E.g would universities expect a GCSE or A level qualification in that language corresponding to the Y university you want to visit abroad to study for a semester/year? Also, would the course be taught 100% in that language or in English aswell?

When I was starting to apply for uni, I found a few that offer a year abroad as part of the programme or make it mandatory. I wish now I'd gone to one of those instead. (Hindsight is such a wonderful thing)

Some universities abroad do have courses taught solely in English with the extra option of language classes. If they want you to know some of the language already, they'll make it pretty clear at what level.
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by XxKingSniprxX)

Generally you don't need to speak the local language but you need to check your university's website to be sure, it should have a page for outgoing Erasmus students where it lists where you can go and what the prerequisites are. If you can't find this page then email the year abroad tutor and ask. If the European university says you don't need to speak the local language then classes will be in English.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads