Paying off student loan Watch

Joshmeid
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is it best to pay off my student loan in full when possible or to leave it to pay itself off over time?

It seems much cheaper by paying off straight away. What are your opinions?
Lulu24
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Joshmeid)
Is it best to pay off my student loan in full when possible or to leave it to pay itself off over time?

I am trying to pay mine off whilst i am at uni. I think it is undignified to wait until it "expires".
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Joshmeid)

Entirely depends on what the interest rate on it is.
PrincessZara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Message Bill Gates through Facebook. There is always that 0.01% chance that he will send you some money
elfreda69
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Depending on the interest rate, i would advise against paying it off early. See martin lewis' website.
Let's say that you over pay by £250 per month that will equate to £3000 per yr.
Instead of paying off the loan you could put this money into a savings account and after 3 or 4 yrs you would have enough to put a deposit down on a house or buy a car. The interest rate for buying a car is typically 17% so you would save money by not having to pay that. Likewise, a bigger deposit when buying a house equals a lower mortgage.
Student loans are repayable on any amount qbove £21k. You pay 9% of earnings above 21k.
I was a mature student and took out a loan 10yrs ago. When i first started working i earnt around 27k. I think i only paid about £70-90 per month. As my salary increased so did my loan contributions. To be honest, i really did not notice the money, and i was quite strapped for cash (high rents, cost of living in london etc).

Iknow that it is not nice to think thst you owe so much money, but you should focus more on saving for a mortgage etc before paying off the loan.
Findlay6
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Assuming that you get a good job as soon as you leave uni and earn over a certain amount it will automatically come out of your wages and be visible on your pay-slip for any job, saying that if you have extra cash and can pay off more, go for it.
The interest is ridiculous though, so if you are paying it off it needs to be consistent or the interest will catch up with you and make it worthless.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (98)
16.87%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (61)
10.5%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (101)
17.38%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (88)
15.15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (58)
9.98%
How can I be the best version of myself? (175)
30.12%

Watched Threads