The Student Room Group

A Levels or BTEC ???

My friend said BTEC is good as A levels and it's easier (which it is). But what is the best choice if you want to go further in life :biggrin: :?
Do top universities accept BTECS ? (ICT)
If i end up in BTEC ill do ICT but if I do A-Levels then ill probably, well i haven't chose yet. Maybe something got to do with Law
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Btecs are better. Top unis atm (oxbridge, imperial etc) only accept btecs
Reply 2
A-Levels are probably more respected by the top universities.
Reply 3
Original post by ubisoft

:rofl:
Go look at what unis want in grades.
Reply 5
A-levels will get you further, they're usually seen as better by universities.
I would suggest you take A-Levels. Some good uni do accept Btec xo
It really does depend on what you really want to go into.
Both of the careers I'm interested in going into are within health and social care so I'm currently doing BTEC health and social care. I find it more interesting and beneficial than the A-level health and social care. As for uni I'm planning on going to a one near home so I'm not bothered about top unis.
Reply 8
Original post by PrincessZara
My friend said BTEC is good as A levels and it's easier (which it is). But what is the best choice if you want to go further in life :biggrin: :?
Do top universities accept BTECS ? (ICT)
If i end up in BTEC ill do ICT but if I do A-Levels then ill probably, well i haven't chose yet. Maybe something got to do with Law

95%+ of UK universities accept BTEC

I did the BTEC in IT (not called ICT, mine was much more computing focused) and im now in my second year of MSci Computer Science at a top 20 uni

They are not easier than A levels they cover the same level and depth in content, the difference is that BTEC has constant assessment throughout the year where A level the majority of the assessment are through exams at the end of the year

In terms of careers, BTEC has better employment prospects for both graduates and non graduates with 80% of BTEC + Degree holders vs 73% of A level + degree holders in employment and for people who didnt go to uni and are employed in professional, skilled or managerial jobs i.e. not any old unskilled job, BTEC leavers were at 49% whereas A level leavers were at 45%

However, that beimg said you are somewhat limited to what you can do after, if you know the exact field that you want to go into then BTEC is a great choice but if you are undecided or think there is a good chance that you might change your pathway away from IT/Computing then take a range of A levels or an extra A level that would qualify you to do something else at uni

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ubisoft

BTECs are widely accepted in general and, for some courses, will provide an easier route into a reasonably decent university. However, A-levels remain by far the better choice for people who are not certain exactly which course(s) they would want to target with a BTEC.

As to whether or not "top" universities would accept the BTEC, it would depend on exactly what you mean by top. Many very good universities will consider applicants with BTECs though they may require you to supplement them with A-level equivalents in any prerequisite subjects.
Original post by ByronicHero
BTECs are widely accepted in general and, for some courses, will provide an easier route into a reasonably decent university. However, A-levels remain by far the better choice for people who are not certain exactly which course(s) they would want to target with a BTEC.

As to whether or not "top" universities would accept the BTEC, it would depend on exactly what you mean by top. Many very good universities will consider applicants with BTECs though they may require you to supplement them with A-level equivalents in any prerequisite subjects.

Original post by ByronicHero

With A levels you can still get stuck if you don't know what to do if you have a weird combination or a lot of what you can go into doesn't interest you. Should still look into what interests you in the future before choosing.
Well A levels can get you into every university, BTECs can't.
@RonnieRJ and I discussed this topic a lot and we came the conclusion that BTEC beats A level in every aspect.

1) BTEC is more academically rigorous. You need to be incredibly intelligence (ten fold more so than your average A level student).

2) Intelligence alone won't get you through a BTEC. It demands consistent and deliberate work. You need to have a disgustingly strong work ethic to succeed.

3) BTEC is valued more by employers and universities. At a Cambridge Law conference, one of the professors proclaimed that they much favoured BTECs because it shows that the candidate is more well rounded, and align more with the type of students that would thrive in Oxbridge.

I'm doing BTEC Travel and Tourism and Ronnie's doing Hair and Beauty. We're both aiming to be nobel prize winners. We have a bet going, which ever one of us gets it first. Tbh I'm kind of jealous because in Hair and Beauty she gets to learn about quantum mechanics, whereas I'm still here doing ****ty number and group theory as well as proof by induction.
(edited 8 years ago)
Which universities is the OP thinking of applying to?
Original post by High Stakes
@RonnieRJ and I discussed this topic a lot and we came the conclusion that BTEC beats A level in every aspect.

1) BTEC is more academically rigorous. You need to be incredibly intelligence (ten fold more so than your average A level student).

2) Intelligence alone won't get you through a BTEC. It demands consistent and deliberate work. You need to have a disgustingly strong work ethic to succeed.

3) BTEC is valued more by employers and universities. At a Cambridge Law conference, one of the professors proclaimed that they much favoured BTECs because it shows that the candidate is more well rounded, and align more with the type of students that would thrive in Oxbridge.

I'm doing BTEC Travel and Tourism and Ronnie's doing Hair and Beauty. We're both aiming to be nobel prize winners. We have a bet going, which ever one of us gets it first. Tbh I'm kind of jealous because in Hair and Beauty she gets to learn about quantum mechanics, whereas I'm still here doing ****ty number and group theory as well as proof by induction.

Made my day :biggrin:
Original post by Palette
Which universities is the OP thinking of applying to?

Well i don't know, in year 11 atm
Original post by High Stakes

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:
Never heard so much crap in my entire life.
Original post by Vikingninja
With A levels you can still get stuck if you don't know what to do if you have a weird combination or a lot of what you can go into doesn't interest you. Should still look into what interests you in the future before choosing.

They are much more broadly applicable and thus by far the better choice for most people. Certainly issues can arise, but fewer of them. I agree that it is helpful for people to have some idea of what they want to do - and thus in many cases the BTEC route will be the better option - but it isn't always realistic for people to do that. I changed my mind at least 5 or 6 times and could quite happily have studied a multitude of different things at university.

BTECs are great for people who know what they will do with one but are often not optimal for other people in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest