The Student Room Group

Losing hope with A level Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tcameron
So Biology used to always be my strongest subject. Got full UMS at GCSE and an A*.
After AS I was shocked to only get 5 UMS into a B and even after a remark, my UMS marks went down :frown: (I know a B isn't bad but I got A's in my mocks, and was hoping to get the A* in A2 Bio)

I need at least a B to get into my uni (although I desperately want at least an A) It's probably impossible for me to get even a A since I got such low UMS marks I will need 89% anyways to even get an A - so basically an A* in my A2 modules.

I am struggling really with the exam questions as I do understand the topics, trying exam questions and just doing below par.
- I just think I'm not naturally able to think like a biologist and answer the harder questions.

It's all really making me feel depressed and I am slowly hope :frown: :frown:

Join the party
Original post by Ben4
This is scaring me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops, don't let it! My tip with OCR would definitely be to make sure you understand the content first. After that, it's a case of learning the mark schemes because they're very picky with certain phrases. If you do that I'm sure you'll be fine.
just did a paper with a question on fruit ripening.
Made me lmao.
Was pretty easy though.
OCR

I do OCR too. The reason why you're finding the exam questions hard is simply because they are testing the very very depths of your knowledge and understanding.
The only solution to this is by THOROUGHLY reading the textbook making sure you know every single bullet point. The OCR mark schemes are often very similar to the phrases in their textbook - especially with some keywords. To make sure you know it and understand it, try out the End of Spread questions as well as the Practice questions at the end of each chapter, and compare your answer to the answers in the back of the book, making sure you write corrections if you missed out a key point or a key word.

You need to try and do this each week after learning a new topic.

That's what I'm doing this year in Biology and I'm getting A/A*s in past papers.
Unlike last year at AS where I was getting Bs and Cs in past papers.

:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by bulkybros100
I do OCR too. The reason why you're finding the exam questions hard is simply because they are testing the very very depths of your knowledge and understanding.
The only solution to this is by THOROUGHLY reading the textbook making sure you know every single bullet point. The OCR mark schemes are often very similar to the phrases in their textbook - especially with some keywords. To make sure you know it and understand it, try out the End of Spread questions as well as the Practice questions at the end of each chapter, and compare your answer to the answers in the back of the book, making sure you write corrections if you missed out a key point or a key word.

You need to try and do this each week after learning a new topic.

That's what I'm doing this year in Biology and I'm getting A/A*s in past papers.
Unlike last year at AS where I was getting Bs and Cs in past papers.

:smile:

Yeah I didn't read the book so indepthly last year and relied more on class notes and past papers. I try reading it as much as I can now though.
I do the questions at the back of each section but I feel ike I speed though them and so they never really give me an indication of what I could do - I guess I should just be more patient.

Thanks!
Reply 45
Original post by halfwaythere...
Hey guys AS student here, I'm doing Biology through Edexcel, after looking at these comments :frown::frown: Is it really that hard to get an A/A* if you know and understand everything in the textbook?

Well I'm not sure about Edexcel but yes you do have to understand/apply it pretty well as well as understand everything to get A's and A*s
I hate when people say Biology is an 'easy' science.
I personally find Chemistry much much easier as although the concepts are harder, they don't try to outrightly trick you like Biology does.
Good luck! Don't rely soley on the book though.

My advice probaby isn't that great considering I'm so far from an A
Yeah I didn't read the book so indepthly last year and relied more on class notes and past papers. I try reading it as much as I can now though.
I do the questions at the back of each section but I feel ike I speed though them and so they never really give me an indication of what I could do - I guess I should just be more patient.

Thanks!

Sadly, relying on past papers and class notes only works well for GCSE.
Hey guys :smile: I'm hoping to study Biomedical Sciences at Durham in September (just got my offer!!) and I've been really struggling with the exam questions- I've just downloaded these notes which seem to cover literally every point of the specification really clearly so I thought i'd share! https://www.oxbridgenotes.co.uk/notes/eastbourne-college/a-level
Original post by alongcamelucy
Hey guys :smile: I'm hoping to study Biomedical Sciences at Durham in September (just got my offer!!) and I've been really struggling with the exam questions- I've just downloaded these notes which seem to cover literally every point of the specification really clearly so I thought i'd share! https://www.oxbridgenotes.co.uk/notes/eastbourne-college/a-level

You have to pay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4
You have to pay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sadly :/ I'm pretty pleased with them though so I reckon it'll be worth it :smile:
Reply 50
I got a low B but wasn't allowed to resit anything :frown: :frown:
So Biology used to always be my strongest subject. Got full UMS at GCSE and an A*.
After AS I was shocked to only get 5 UMS into a B and even after a remark, my UMS marks went down :frown: (I know a B isn't bad but I got A's in my mocks, and was hoping to get the A* in A2 Bio)

I need at least a B to get into my uni (although I desperately want at least an A) It's probably impossible for me to get even a A since I got such low UMS marks I will need 89% anyways to even get an A - so basically an A* in my A2 modules.

I am struggling really with the exam questions as I do understand the topics, trying exam questions and just doing below par.
- I just think I'm not naturally able to think like a biologist and answer the harder questions.

It's all really making me feel depressed and I am slowly hope :frown: :frown:

it's a horrible feeling, but sometimes you can understand the content, but the way exams are written are so specific that its easy to loose marks even if you know the topic! Is a retake possible? If not, the only thing I can suggest is do as many past papers (make sure you look at the mark schemes!!!) as possible so you get an idea of how they want to you answer questions - good luck!!!!
p.s would recommend the book 'How to ace your A levels' - its great for revision tips

Quick Reply

Latest