The Student Room Group

Is 18 too late to take up a sport and go pro?

I've been wondering. Ive been doing sports my entire life but I was never commited to one' I am one of those people with a natural talent for sports and every single sport I do comes very easy for me. I had a break for a year because of a knee ligament damage but recently I started training harder and got a time of 4:21 in a mile run with a month of training before. So do you guys think its too late:
Reply 1
Original post by CraigBe7
I've been wondering. Ive been doing sports my entire life but I was never commited to one' I am one of those people with a natural talent for sports and every single sport I do comes very easy for me. I had a break for a year because of a knee ligament damage but recently I started training harder and got a time of 4:21 in a mile run with a month of training before. So do you guys think its too late:

No. You'd be surprised at how many professionals start early.

I don't want to be a downer but realistically, with a ligament injury you probably wont be able to get into pro sports. Injuries always seem to close a pros career...:frown: But then again I would just go for it if the injury will not be a hindrance.
Reply 3

I'm gonna say what my brain juices tell me.

It's never too late
but ofc it depends on the sport. And how they treat the old ones.
It also depends on how they scout for the talented juans.
Reply 4
The injury was probably caused by my accelerated growth at that time, only injury I got since then was a hamstring tear coz Im stupid enough do do half a marathon and a sunday league match on the same day 😅
Original post by Duck10101
I don't want to be a downer but realistically, with a ligament injury you probably wont be able to get into pro sports. Injuries always seem to close a pros career...:frown: But then again I would just go for it if the injury will not be a hindrance.
Reply 5
depends what sport, extremely unlikely you'd get in pro for football, but things like boxing you probably could
Reply 6
Original post by Joshale
depends what sport, extremely unlikely you'd get in pro for football, but things like boxing you probably could

I was thinking more like Badminton, running mid-long or cycling
Courtney Lawes started playing rugby at 15 and was in the England U18 side. It's worth a try, but it will depend on your natural ability.
It is never too late. I'd google Elizabeth Hawker and Steve Way as examples of people who turned to sport far later in their lives than 18 and done very well.
If youre good enough

Youre old enough.
Reply 10
That's a very good mile time, what's your weight? Also was that on a treadmill? Regardless, it's pretty fast.

You shouldn't have to ask the question in the thread ttbh, if you're asking, you might have self doubt.
but it depends on the sport. Fighting yeah, Gymnastics no chance for example.

And knee ligament damage depending on what it is... athletes get torn ACL's all the time and continue their careerl
Reply 11
I was thinking more like Badminton, running mid-long or cycling

Running i think you can. You could train by yourself and get in. For example you could win a marathon. Guess the same would be of cycling, you could enter competitions and win.

Badminton I feel would be much harder, it's a sport heavily on skill and professionals tend to be taught at extremely young ages like 6, and professionally coached. They've had all that experience and skill they've developed, it will come more naturally to them as they were exposed when they were young. They will also be exposed to a higher standard of competitive play which you won't have. While in things like running, you're competing against yourself so you just try and beat the time. I mean you won't even know you're good enough to play against the best if you won't even have the opportunity to play with them. But you'll at least know whether your times running are on par/better/worst than the best.
Original post by Duck10101

lol wat

A 4:21 mile time is very good for a month's training. You're speaking to a middle distance runner as well (although I'm more of the 400/800 type). Keep at it buddy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sergio Martinez was 20 when he decided he wanted to be a boxer

Quick Reply

Latest