Math AS - Which Exam Board?

Watch this thread
petemac64
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi Guys,

Want to sit AS need to select exam board, any advice.
One thing that may swing it, are the resources available for that board.

Thanks,

Pete
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
If you're looking for resources(e.g. past papers and specifications), I suggest AQA.
TeeEm
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by petemac64)
Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Pete
AQA or EDEXCEL

avoid OCR, MEI, WJEC, CCEA, CIE
richpanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
edexcel, everyone does it
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Edexcel. Loads of resources like Examsolutions. Plenty of past papers.

C1 C2 S1 or C1 C2 D1 should be good for self teaching.
Ehmb
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Pete
I would say to so edexcel but I found the S1 module really bad compared to the S1 module for MEI which I do now but that might be because I did the edexcel AS a year ago, I should be smarter than I was back then hopefully
Pentaquark
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My school switched from Edexcel to AQA as AQA papers tend to regurgitate the same sorts of questions every year.
meediaabid
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I used to root for AQA because of the repetitive questions but the resources available are plenty for Edexcel, for example, there are a huge number of Edexcel past papers on Physics and Maths Tutor
B_9710
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
AQA or EDEXCEL

Why do you suggest to avoid MEI?
B_9710
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I would say that the most resources are for edexcel. Tons of resources for edexcel but AQA is a good exam board - the one I'm on an I think it's pretty good.
TeeEm
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by B_9710)
Why do you suggest to avoid MEI?
terrible board in my opinion,
no sequencial logic, vital bits missed out, calculator topics done as non calculator, incocistent marking schemes and idiotic markers, vector planes done at C4 without proper treatment to name a few.
tcameron
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Do not do OCR.
petemac64
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by SeanFM)
Edexcel. Loads of resources like Examsolutions. Plenty of past papers.

C1 C2 S1 or C1 C2 D1 should be good for self teaching.
Thanks,

Edexcel it is.

~ Pete Mac
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
AQA or EDEXCEL

Why should these boards be avoided?
TeeEm
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
Why should these boards be avoided?
for MEI look at post 12
h8skoooooool
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tcameron)
Do not do OCR.
What's up with OCR?
SM45367
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Edexcel is the best imo.. there resources are a lot more student-friendly
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Pete
Edexcel - more resources than any other board - many libraries have the textbooks as so many school use it. Examiners reports are thorough as are mark schemes.

I've taught others but this is the best for self-study.
tcameron
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by h8skoooooool)
What's up with OCR?
- not many do it so fewer resources available
- They aren't known to recycle questions as much and their exam papers jumped in difficulty by a lot since 2013 so not much relevant practice available
- If you have the misfortune to do their Statistic paper - that's a deciding factor enough to stay away from ocr
h8skoooooool
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tcameron)
- not many do it so fewer resources available
- They aren't known to recycle questions as much and their exam papers jumped in difficulty by a lot since 2013 so not much relevant practice available
- If you have the misfortune to do their Statistic paper - that's a deciding factor enough to stay away from ocr
Oh gosh now you've got me worried, I'm sitting S1 this June
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads