The Student Room Group

Social work masters 2016

Apologies if there is already a thread but I can't see one?

Who has applied for a social work masters and where?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littleapple
Apologies if there is already a thread but I can't see one?

Who has applied for a social work masters and where?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I've applied for a social work masters at Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Hallam and MMU. Where have you applied? I'm so nervous, worried I don't have enough experience, but I've done as much volunteering as I could during my time at uni so just have to hope its enough! How much do you have if you don't mind me asking?
I've accepted a conditional offer to study Social Work at Lancaster University starting in September 2016 :smile:
Reply 3
I've just applied for a social work masters at Manchester, MMU, Salford and Sheffield. Considering applying for a 5th as well but I'm not sure where!
How long did it take for you to hear back about interviews or anything?
I think I should have enough experience but still nerve wrecking! What kind of experience do you guys have?
Original post by fml
I've just applied for a social work masters at Manchester, MMU, Salford and Sheffield. Considering applying for a 5th as well but I'm not sure where!
How long did it take for you to hear back about interviews or anything?
I think I should have enough experience but still nerve wrecking! What kind of experience do you guys have?

That's cool, where's your first choice? I defo didn't think there was any harm in applying to as many as possible! I have youth work experience and volunteering for a helpline, but no hands on social work experience, and no paid work experience which makes me nervous. What experience do you have? I only submitted my application a couple of days ago and haven't heard anything yet, have you?
I've applied to Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam and got an interview at Sheffield tomorrow!!! So nervous!! Anyone got any tips?
Reply 6
Original post by sophie3006
That's cool, where's your first choice? I defo didn't think there was any harm in applying to as many as possible! I have youth work experience and volunteering for a helpline, but no hands on social work experience, and no paid work experience which makes me nervous. What experience do you have? I only submitted my application a couple of days ago and haven't heard anything yet, have you?

I think Sheffield, how about yourself? I have some youth work experience, some school experience (I worked in a really deprived school last year) and I'm now a support worker with adults who have learning disabilities/autism so I'm hoping that that's enough/whether I made it sound good enough in my personal statement!

I'm similar to you; only a few days. I think it could take a few weeks but I'm tempted to email and ask so that I can remain vigilant in my email checking (or more realistically stop obsessively checking my emails)
Reply 7
Original post by georgiasunshine
I've applied to Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam and got an interview at Sheffield tomorrow!!! So nervous!! Anyone got any tips?

How long did it take to hear back from Sheffield? And how much notice did they give for the interview?
Best of luck :yes:
I'm really sad and had looked through the 2015 thread and copy and pasted all the interview questions into a document, if you'd like I could pm you this?
That would be amazing if you could! I'm so nervous haha!

I applied on the 22nd Dec and had an email about an interview on the 23rd, with 2 weeks notice. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until after the UCAS deadline, I sort of expected they'd wait to get all the applications then decide who to interview? But maybe they are doing an early interview for people that applied early then another interview day after the deadline? When did you apply?
Reply 9
That would be amazing if you could! I'm so nervous haha!

I applied on the 22nd Dec and had an email about an interview on the 23rd, with 2 weeks notice. I wasn't expecting to hear anything until after the UCAS deadline, I sort of expected they'd wait to get all the applications then decide who to interview? But maybe they are doing an early interview for people that applied early then another interview day after the deadline? When did you apply?

Oh wow, that's a really quick turn around! What kind of experience do you have?
I applied a few days ago, I'd love to hear back soon as I have holiday time at the end of the month which would mean not needing to wrangle time off work! I might "casuaully" email to find out a time line so that I can stop obsessively refreshing Gmail haha

I'll PM it over in a min!

I
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fml
Oh wow, that's a really quick turn around! What kind of experience do you have?
I applied a few days ago, I'd love to hear back soon as I have holiday time at the end of the month which would mean not needing to wrangle time off work! I might "casuaully" email to find out a time line so that I can stop obsessively refreshing Gmail haha

I'll PM it over in a min!

I
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a volunteer for a special care baby charity, so I work with parents on neonatal units giving them emotional support, as well as running a Facebook support group. It's only 4 hours a week but I've been doing it for a year so really hoping it'll be enough! They've given me a brilliant reference too so fingers crossed! What experience do you have?

Think the UCAS deadline is 16th Jan so fingers crossed they'll email you straight after that then with a date for a couple weeks later - while you're on leave!! I've had to tell work that I've got childcare issues to get the time off work at short notice eek!
Reply 11
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a volunteer for a special care baby charity, so I work with parents on neonatal units giving them emotional support, as well as running a Facebook support group. It's only 4 hours a week but I've been doing it for a year so really hoping it'll be enough! They've given me a brilliant reference too so fingers crossed! What experience do you have?

Think the UCAS deadline is 16th Jan so fingers crossed they'll email you straight after that then with a date for a couple weeks later - while you're on leave!! I've had to tell work that I've got childcare issues to get the time off work at short notice eek!

I've done a lot of youth work and working in deprived schools, more recently doing camps with adopted children and I'm currently a support worker with adults with learning disabilities. So I'm hoping it's vast enough to qualify!
Yeah the ucas deadline is next Friday, it would great if they did another round of invitations before then but probably not! My reference unfortunately took ages. Do you need to have your 2nd reference done before the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fml
I've done a lot of youth work and working in deprived schools, more recently doing camps with adopted children and I'm currently a support worker with adults with learning disabilities. So I'm hoping it's vast enough to qualify!
Yeah the ucas deadline is next Friday, it would great if they did another round of invitations before then but probably not! My reference unfortunately took ages. Do you need to have your 2nd reference done before the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's loads of experience! You've got way more than me and somehow I got an interview so sure yours will come through soon! Have you had an email about the second reference yet? They send you a form through that you just email to your second reference and it's quite short so not difficult for them to fill in. Don't think it needs to be done before the interview, but it does say you won't be offered a place until they have it back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Wow that's loads of experience! You've got way more than me and somehow I got an interview so sure yours will come through soon! Have you had an email about the second reference yet? They send you a form through that you just email to your second reference and it's quite short so not difficult for them to fill in. Don't think it needs to be done before the interview, but it does say you won't be offered a place until they have it back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just got my interview offer today for Sheffield! So that's good, it's in February so I'll have to book the time off work!
They said that they'd email you closer to the time, which I imagine holds the reference. Probably a good thing since I need to tell my manager that I applied haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fml
I just got my interview offer today for Sheffield! So that's good, it's in February so I'll have to book the time off work!
They said that they'd email you closer to the time, which I imagine holds the reference. Probably a good thing since I need to tell my manager that I applied haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an interview today from Sheffield too! My email included a form for my second reference to fill out, did yours not? Might be different if you've already graduated or something as I'm still in my third year. I'm guessing I'll meet you there because there was only one day in Feb available? Luckily I live just up the road from the Sociological Studies dept so it's not far for me to travel! So nervous!
Reply 15
I got an interview today from Sheffield too! My email included a form for my second reference to fill out, did yours not? Might be different if you've already graduated or something as I'm still in my third year. I'm guessing I'll meet you there because there was only one day in Feb available? Luckily I live just up the road from the Sociological Studies dept so it's not far for me to travel! So nervous!

Haha I have read the email properly and found the attachment! I just have to tell my manager about it the whole 'I'm applying for a masters" thing before I give her the reference! Yeah I'm on the 18th, I asked whether there was one sooner but it's either today or the 18th! I'll be coming over from Manchester to interview so I'll have to figure out my way there. Luckily as an alumni of Manchester uni, I can use the careers service to practice interviews. Are you already at Sheffield uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

how did the interview go?? hope it went well! I have one at Sheffield next month so any tips/advice you could give me would be amazing!
Original post by fml
Haha I have read the email properly and found the attachment! I just have to tell my manager about it the whole 'I'm applying for a masters" thing before I give her the reference! Yeah I'm on the 18th, I asked whether there was one sooner but it's either today or the 18th! I'll be coming over from Manchester to interview so I'll have to figure out my way there. Luckily as an alumni of Manchester uni, I can use the careers service to practice interviews. Are you already at Sheffield uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay glad you found it! I found it a bit weird that the form had about academic qualifications on it, but I emailed the dept and they told me the referee can just leave it blank if it's a practise reference. Good luck on telling your manager, I'm sure she'll be totally supportive!! If you're coming from the station I would suggest just jumping in a cab, public transport is a bit complicated from the station to the dept especially at that time in the morning! Yeah I've done my undergrad there, absolutely loved it would be more than happy to stay two more years!
Reply 18
Ahh okay glad you found it! I found it a bit weird that the form had about academic qualifications on it, but I emailed the dept and they told me the referee can just leave it blank if it's a practise reference. Good luck on telling your manager, I'm sure she'll be totally supportive!! If you're coming from the station I would suggest just jumping in a cab, public transport is a bit complicated from the station to the dept especially at that time in the morning! Yeah I've done my undergrad there, absolutely loved it would be more than happy to stay two more years!

Yeah I figured as much, I made my dissertation supervisor my ucas reference. I just broke the news to my manager and she was okay about it, luckily I have a good relationship with her and she was able to joke about not leaving her haha. She also said she'd write a glowing reference and to look at what they're looking for.
Ah is it far from the station? Yeah I thought about driving over but I don't trust snake pass at that time either!
At least if I have other interviews, the majority are around Manchester so it'll be easier. I did think about applying to Hallam but I'm not totally sure!
What did you do for your undergrad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't drive!! I drove today and despite only living 12 miles away, it took me almost 2 hours to get there because traffic is awful near the hospitals!! And then there is only one car park that is often full and costs a fortune! Wish I'd got the bus haha!

Interview tips for Sheffield..

Arrive early as interview time slots are given on a first come first served basis so if you get there early then you will get an early interview. Otherwise you'll spend half the day waiting around.

The individual interview is fine, just questions like "Why do you want to do social work" and "what qualities do you have that would make you a good social worker" etc.

The written test is also fine, just think of an example where you have put social work into practice (not necessarily in a social work job) eg helping people, and learn that and you will be fine.

The group test/speed interview was the bit I struggled with. You go round the room and talk to various people, a bit like speed dating. They all ask you social work related questions, like what would you consider in this situation etc. I'm not really sure how you can prepare for it, but just be warned haha! Luckily everyone said the same thing - that it was really difficult! So hopefully we are all in the same boat there!!

Apparently they will know who has got places by the end of today but we won't find out for approx 2 weeks, so I assume it'll be the same sort of timeframe for your interviews too! Hoping I get a decision before I get any other interviews because it's my first choice so don't want to go to other interviews if I get into Sheffield!

Hope that helps, but feel free to quiz me if you want to know anything else! x

Quick Reply

Latest