The Student Room Group

Social work masters 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi everyone

I've just applied to the MSc Social Work for this year as a mature student nd am really worried about funding. Does anyone know what's happening with bursaries this year?

Thanks
Reply 41
Original post by rashnag
Hi everyone

I've just applied to the MSc Social Work for this year as a mature student nd am really worried about funding. Does anyone know what's happening with bursaries this year?

Thanks

I think that what generally happens is that you interview then you get nominated for a bursary by the university based on their criteria.
You only find out in summer time if you get a bursary as well. Part of the bursary (4k) is for fees and you have to fund the rest. Then they give you another bursary for living costs (both means and non means assessed)

Where have you applied?
Original post by rashnag
Hi everyone

Thanks

Hi, yes the funding situation is pretty stressful! Basically every uni gets allocated a certain amount of bursaries for their students, but that isn't necessarily the same amount of places they offer on their course. Each individual uni then decides which candidates they're going to offer bursaries to. I'm not completely sure how unis decide who is going to get a bursary, but I think it might be about how much they want you and how quickly you accept a place on their course. Hope that's helpful!
Reply 43
Original post by littleapple
I can't decide whether to apply for this year, as not sure if I've got enough experience, and don't want to move out of the city I currently live in so Bristol uni would be my only option! Plus I love the school I'm currently working in and don't want to leave.. I'm tempted to wait and see what happens with the Frontline and Step Up schemes.

I've got a pastoral role in a secondary school in a fairly disadvantaged area, have volunteered for a year at an after school club for children with autism and have just started volunteering for a charity helpline for children of alcoholics. Would that be enough?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that you have enough experience as you have experience with disadvantaged communities, children and disabilities!

I understand the position that you're in as I enjoy my current job. I kinda figured there's no harm in applying and then deciding later on :smile:

As for Front line, I think they're only based in London and Manchester? I don't know too much about them though as I kinda feel I'm more suited to the structure of a masters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by fml
Where have you applied?

I've applied to Brighton and Sussex (basically as I live in Hove and am not really able to relocate). Of course, all of this pre-supposes I'll even get a place, so I guess my worries are a little pre-emptive! I'm just really fed up with life at the moment and think I need a change.. (mid-life crisis perhaps, but at least I'll improve my brain in the process lol)
Reply 45
Original post by sophie3006
Congrats on your interview at Manchester! I haven't heard anything from them yet, I'm checking my email every 5 minutes atm! I was thinking that I would have to wait until after the UCAS deadline, which is tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get some replies soon! I haven't heard anything from Hallam or MMU yet either! Keep me posted!

I've now heard from 4 out of 5 and it's all positive. Mmu is the only one holding out though! I think that my personal statement wasn't specific enough for them so perhaps it won't go any further or maybe they're waiting for after the ucas deadline!
Hopefully you'll hear soon and just keep refreshing!!

As for my interview at Sheffield, I'm planning to buy my train tickets when I get paid, how long do you think a taxi from the station would take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys! I've applied for a master's in social work and I've got an interview tomorrow at Salford, one on Wednesday at keele and one on the 27th at MMU. I'm so nervous! I don't really have much experience in social work as such, only working in nurseries and schools in deprived areas. Has anyone had any interviews yet and what can i expect?
Thanks!
Reply 47
Hi, i'm new to this! I've applied for MA Social Work at UEL, Brunel, Anglia Ruskin, Cardiff and Norwich. I have interviews for UEL and Brunel. I'm dreading any group interviews, any help would be much appreciated! :smile:
Original post by JLKe
Hi, i'm new to this! I've applied for MA Social Work at UEL, Brunel, Anglia Ruskin, Cardiff and Norwich. I have interviews for UEL and Brunel. I'm dreading any group interviews, any help would be much appreciated! :smile:

Hello, I have also applied to UEL, Brunel for Social work Ma. I have interview for Brunel 10 of Feb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rashnag
I've applied to Brighton and Sussex (basically as I live in Hove and am not really able to relocate). Of course, all of this pre-supposes I'll even get a place, so I guess my worries are a little pre-emptive! I'm just really fed up with life at the moment and think I need a change.. (mid-life crisis perhaps, but at least I'll improve my brain in the process lol)

How did your interview for Sussex university go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Hello! Yes thats the one i'm going to as well on 10th Feb :smile:
Original post by JLKe
Hello! Yes thats the one i'm going to as well on 10th Feb :smile:

I am worried... I don't know what to expect or read...
Reply 52
Original post by blessing2
How did your interview for Sussex university go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haven't heard back from Sussex (no interview yet), but have an interview at Brighton on the 29th
Reply 53
Original post by Frankie_oxo
Hi guys! I've applied for a master's in social work and I've got an interview tomorrow at Salford, one on Wednesday at keele and one on the 27th at MMU. I'm so nervous! I don't really have much experience in social work as such, only working in nurseries and schools in deprived areas. Has anyone had any interviews yet and what can i expect?
Thanks!

How did the interview go? Any tips?! Starting to get nervous now lol
Reply 54
Original post by Frankie_oxo
Thanks!

Hey, I'm also at MMU on the 27th. Just got my interview request today!
How did Salford go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fml
I've now heard from 4 out of 5 and it's all positive. Mmu is the only one holding out though! I think that my personal statement wasn't specific enough for them so perhaps it won't go any further or maybe they're waiting for after the ucas deadline!
Hopefully you'll hear soon and just keep refreshing!!

As for my interview at Sheffield, I'm planning to buy my train tickets when I get paid, how long do you think a taxi from the station would take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just got an interview from MMU! The email came through as a change on my ucas application and I was convinced it was a rejection, but no good news! Have you heard? Mine is next week, luckily I'm able to make it at such short notice!
I reckon leave 20/30 mins for a taxi, that'll be plenty of time but it'll be rush hour and you don't want to be stressed! Keep me posted if you hear anything from MMU!
Reply 56
Original post by sophie3006
I just got an interview from MMU! The email came through as a change on my ucas application and I was convinced it was a rejection, but no good news! Have you heard? Mine is next week, luckily I'm able to make it at such short notice!
I reckon leave 20/30 mins for a taxi, that'll be plenty of time but it'll be rush hour and you don't want to be stressed! Keep me posted if you hear anything from MMU!

Same! I was convinced that cos I had no email from them that I was getting rejected. Plus it had been 2 weeks! Are you on the 27th too then?

I haven't had any info about the actual interview come through yet. I'm so glad that I booked a week off work next week as 2 of my interviews have ended up being in that week!

Cheers about the taxi info!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rashnag
How did the interview go? Any tips?! Starting to get nervous now lol

It went okay! I would say dont be nervous is was quite relaxed! They were really nice too. The written part was mainly to assess your english skills. For the individual interview i was interviewed by a lecturer and a social worker and they asked fairly basic questions, one was reflecting on the group activity.
Original post by fml
Same! I was convinced that cos I had no email from them that I was getting rejected. Plus it had been 2 weeks! Are you on the 27th too then?

I haven't had any info about the actual interview come through yet. I'm so glad that I booked a week off work next week as 2 of my interviews have ended up being in that week!

Cheers about the taxi info!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My interview at MMU is on the 27th too!:smile:
Reply 59
Hey everyone

I just managed to submit my application via UCAS before the deadline. I have applied to Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester, Salford and Birmingham.

How long was it before you were offered interviews? I'm so nervous as my personal statement was rushed and everything was so last minute!! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending