The Student Room Group

Being branded with a religion from birth

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Terry Tibbs
Poisoning a child's mind with bogus and stupid ideas at an age where they are easily persuaded and lack the ability to think logically about these ideas is child abuse.

i agree that the ability to think logically may be delayed many years, sometimes indefinitely Terry.
Original post by the bear
i agree that the ability to think logically may be delayed many years, sometimes indefinitely Terry.

...Okay?
...Okay?

whereas the onset of narcissistic victimhood seems to get earlier and earlier ?
Reply 23
NO

Children should be able to grow up to make their own minds up. Can expose them to different relgiions/inform them about them but not force the religion upon them as many feel they can't get out of it

take islam, apostates have severe consequences - death in some countries but even in places like Britain can get completely outcast from the community
Reply 24
Poisoning a child's mind with bogus and stupid ideas at an age where they are easily persuaded and lack the ability to think logically about these ideas is child abuse.

I was told that the boogeyman would get me if I didn't sleep at an appropriate time as opposed to being told that not sleeping would stunt my growth severely...
Also that santa claus would bring me presents if I behaved... Was I abused?
By the very fact that kids cant think logically, it'd be gloriously difficult to avoid certain illogical "bogus and stupid" ideas
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by J.Ody
I was told that the boogeyman would get me if I didn't sleep at an appropriate time as opposed to being told that not sleeping would stunt my growth severely...
Also that santa claus would bring me presents if I behaved... Was I abused?

I don't mean to be facetious but i'd argue that teaching kids certain things, be they untrue or misleading, is sometimes necessary to get them to the stage where they can do the right thing for the right reasons (not simply out of fear of reprimand)
Original post by J.Ody
I don't mean to be facetious but i'd argue that teaching kids certain things, be they untrue or misleading, is sometimes necessary to get them to the stage where they can do the right thing for the right reasons (not simply out of fear of reprimand)
Right. Isn't it a remarkable coincidence almost everyone has the same religion as their parents? And it always happens to be the "right" religion. If we'd been brought up in ancient Greece, we would all be worshiping Zeus and Apollo. Or born Vikings, we would be worshiping Wotan and Thor. I wonder how this comes about? Childhood indoctrination.

You can argue all you want that kids can be taught things that are untrue so that they "do the right things", but the reality is that almost all these children indoctrinated throughout their childhood continue to believe in these false and utterly stupid ideas that they must hold onto because of the religion forced upon them.
Reply 27
Right. Isn't it a remarkable coincidence almost everyone has the same religion as their parents? And it always happens to be the "right" religion. If we'd been brought up in ancient Greece, we would all be worshiping Zeus and Apollo. Or born Vikings, we would be worshiping Wotan and Thor. I wonder how this comes about? Childhood indoctrination.

You can argue all you want that kids can be taught things that are untrue so that they "do the right things", but the reality is that almost all these children indoctrinated throughout their childhood continue to believe in these false and utterly stupid ideas that they must hold onto because of the religion forced upon them.

Its a crying shame and quite foolish that religious traditions are handed down with the idea that they are "right" or belong to "the true" religion. I'd much rather people accepted exactly what u just said (that your religion is mainly determined by where/when u were born and to whom)...

I suggested that instilling kids with a religion is fine, because i automatically assumed it would be like this: "we belong to religion X. Religions Y and Z also exist and this is what they practice".

When you say childhood indoctrination, i imagine a teaching that is more like: "religion X is right. Don't dare to ever stray from religion X".

Both instances occur. I'm getting that you're of the opinion that the second is more common?
I stated in an earlier post that I am all for handing down religious traditions to kids if it resembles my first example: one that's tolerant, open-minded and doesn't alienate others - not one that "indoctrinates"
In the end, who cares if someone worships Zeus or Heracles, as long as this doesn't lead to hate of someone who worships Osiris?
Original post by MABDI
Should children be forced to accept the religion of their parents?

Should children be exposed to religion at an age where they can’t make an educated decision of their own?

#FoodForThought

I don't see why we should make a special case for religion. Children of sufficiently young age cannot make educated decisions at all, so should we tell them nothing?
Original post by Implication
I don't see why we should make a special case for religion. Children of sufficiently young age cannot make educated decisions at all, so should we tell them nothing?
Then educate them? Not indoctrinate them with false ideas by forcing religion on them?
Reply 30
Original post by High Stakes
What religious symbol is the doctor holding? Looks like a fish.

That's an old symbol of Christianity. It dates back to the time of the Romans when Christianity was outlawed. It is a seemingly obscure and innocuous symbol that was used to enable Christians to recognise one another.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Then educate them? Not indoctrinate them with false ideas by forcing religion on them?

What about enforcing Atheism, which is what you are suggesting? When I was little I had to go to church. I was educated about my faith at Sunday School. I was not indoctrinated.

My Dad is a Catholic and my Mum is an Anglican so I was exposed to both worlds to an extent. I was confirmed as a Protestant, but I am perfectly comfortable with Catholicism.

I have also attended Methodist and Baptist churches before. Neither of those felt right for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why apply one standard for religious ideas and another for any other kind of idea? Generally speaking, we allow parents to teach their children things which may not be strictly true. Are you proposing that we somehow stop this?
Original post by Katty3
That's an old symbol of Christianity. It dates back to the time of the Romans when Christianity was outlawed. It is a seemingly obscure and innocuous symbol that was used to enable Christians to recognise one another.

The first letters of Jesus Christ, King of the Jews spell the word fish in Ancient Greek, hence the symbol. That's the sort of useless trivia you learn from spending 100s of hours taking part in religion.
No child should have religious rubbish spouted to them until they are a grown up enough to think critically. Also all religions should be taught impartially, along with science. In addition children should not be subject to guilt trips, emotional blackmail, fear of getting disowned if they don't comply etc.
"Son, this is what Christians believe, that is what Muslims believe, etc, choose for yourself which one represents your beliefs the best, if any."

It's that simple.
Idealy children should be equally exposed to everything, but obviously that isnt really feasible and, initially at least, following the beliefs of their parents will make home life much easier.

The key there is initially. Doesn't work in Islam though, not allowed to change if born into it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Compost
The first letters of Jesus Christ, King of the Jews spell the word fish in Ancient Greek, hence the symbol. That's the sort of useless trivia you learn from spending 100s of hours taking part in religion.

Cai - ro. Wonder if that's the origin of the name?
Original post by iamElectro
"Son, this is what Christians believe, that is what Muslims believe, etc, choose for yourself which one represents your beliefs the best, if any."

It's that simple.
If only parents were this sensible...
parents can force their child to follow the religion, but they can't force them to believe in it so...🤷

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending