The Student Room Group

Magnetic Levitation Distance?

Okay so basically me and my team have designed a magnetic levitation device and I've calculated all the required forces etc but I can't figure out how I can calculate the optimal distance for the levitation to take place....

I'm thinking Ampere's Law but then i can't see how I can relate that to the distance? To put it in some context it's essentially a globe levitating over a cylindrical type base with an electromagnet. Help pls :colondollar:
Reply 1
Original post by Cpt. Josh
I think I know how you could do it but could you explain your setup in more detail? What is it's purpose? What is the weight of the globe and the specifics of the electromagnet?

it's just a globe levitation device with icons for renewable energy.

Weight of the globe= 1.1N but the globe also has a disc magnet in it that produces about = 12.108N

so the total vertical force going downwards is 13.111N which must be balanced by an electromagnet which produces a maximum force of 25N! Its a

mini 12V D.C. 2.5kg lifting solenoid

i know it will be ampere's law but i don't know how to relate it to the distance :cry2:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Cpt. Josh
C'mon... that video is clearly augmented reality...

duhhh obviously....:lol:

it's just a simulation of the product...you said you wanted an idea of it so that's why i posted it.

Quick Reply

Latest