Changing current school for sixth form? Watch

flippantri
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Long story short:
I go to a crappy school. The pass rate is good, but the teaching/organization/facilities are crap. I applied to a better school, where the facilities/teaching/pass rates are way better than my school, and was recently given an offer. My school is trying to put me/other pupils (the ones who are predicted 5 A*s-Bs at GCSE) who want to leave off leaving by saying we probably won't adjust, the statistics are against us (i.e, we'll get **** grades), the teachers and stuff won't know us, and going to a better school will put as at a disadvantage as higher grades are the norm.

Anyone got any valuable advice/anecdotes to give this poor, unorganised 16 year old?
flippantri
Rep:
?
Buuuuuuuuump
Decerto
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by flippantri)
Long story short:
I go to a crappy school. The pass rate is good, but the teaching/organization/facilities are crap. I applied to a better school, where the facilities/teaching/pass rates are way better than my school, and was recently given an offer. My school is trying to put me/other pupils (the ones who are predicted 5 A*s-Bs at GCSE) who want to leave off leaving by saying we probably won't adjust, the statistics are against us (i.e, we'll get **** grades), the teachers and stuff won't know us, and going to a better school will put as at a disadvantage as higher grades are the norm.

Anyone got any valuable advice/anecdotes to give this poor, unorganised 16 year old?
I went to a new school and I adjusted really well. My biggest piece of advice is talk to people and socialize so you make friends. You won't know the teachers, but even the students at my new school had new teachers who didn't know them. We all still did well, so that argument is not really valid.

It seems that your teachers want you to remain their to boost their status. If they really cared about you, they'd tell you to go to the place which you like best.

Lastly, the norm of higher grades is very motivating I have found. Everyone wants to do well and get good grades and so it motivates you to work hard and get good grades too.
flippantri
Rep:
?
(Original post by Decerto)
I went to a new school and I adjusted really well. My biggest piece of advice is talk to people and socialize so you make friends. You won't know the teachers, but even the students at my new school had new teachers who didn't know them. We all still did well, so that argument is not really valid.

It seems that your teachers want you to remain their to boost their status. If they really cared about you, they'd tell you to go to the place which you like best.

Lastly, the norm of higher grades is very motivating I have found. Everyone wants to do well and get good grades and so it motivates you to work hard and get good grades too.
Woo, this is reassuring - thank you!
Vicky628
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A few of my friends moved for sixth form (from crappy comprehensive to the only decent school in town), within a week, most of them were back... Thing is, you don't know anyone much, and if you're having the ahhhh-a-levels shock, you want to be around people you know

One of them's still there, doing well, but my other mates are much happier at my school. Saying that, though, pretty much all the people coming to our sixth form adapted well enough, I'm friends with a few, so it may have just bee the (male, ultra-competitive) environment
AngryDragon97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you feel that changing to this other sixth form will fulfil your needs more, then my advice is to go for it.

My secondary school was very poor, good facilities but the teaching wasn't very good or organised well. I applied for and got into another sixth form which is better by miles and I'm doing much better than I did at my previous school. I didn't know anyone when I first started at my sixth form, but most of the students perform very well and it gave a fresh chance as well.

And I agree with Decerto. The norm of having higher grades can be very motivating and might encourage to work even harder than you're working already.

The decision is entirely up to you.

On another note, I do find it quite shocking that your teachers are trying to discourage you from applying to a school where you could potentially perform better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads