The Student Room Group

Starting a medical degree at 26

Hi everyone, just looking for some advice if you could help :smile:

So I think I'll have a chance to start a degree in medicine next September which I'm majorly excited about as it's all I've ever wanted to do but life got in the way.

One thing that's dawning on me constantly is my age. I know I'm not old, but to be starting a programme that would (if I wanted to go into consultancy for example) would take me all the way to the age of 40.

What do you think? I have no doubt about my passion for this but there is something at the back of my head telling me that I'm going to jump into this journey as a young person and come out of it middle aged and I don't know what I'll have to sacrifice along the way in terms of relationships, family etc.

At the same time, I can't think of what else I'd be good at. Would it be better to have a backup at this stage? I'm also concerned about the financial aspect of this although I don't have a previous degree so I wouldn't have the graduate loan problem.

Am I too old to even be starting down this road when the majority will be 18? Not even necessarily in terms of age right now (being 26 as an undergrad doesn't bother me, being in my mid 30s and still in training for a career makes me wonder)

Any advice would be really gratefully received.
Slightly different, but similar: there's a lovely guy on my pharmacy course, he's started first year with me. I'm 18, and he's 28. He has a wife and children back in his home country. He'll be like you, still studying and training in his 30s. Don't compare your life to others, do what you want to do. It's never too late to begin your journey in securing a career :smile:
I honestly think you'll regret passing up this opportunity over age. You may still be in training in your 30s, but you'll also still be a working doctor doing what you are passionate about. The fact that you'll still be training isn't really a very big deal, many people still do training to progress in their careers much older and they do just fine.
It will take you up until you're 40 maybe to be a high level doctor or consultant but the actual degree won't take that long. You will be earning a salary straight after the degree and will continue to do so while training e.g. if you're doing rotations or working as a SpR or whatnot. Plus being 26 to start medicine really isn't that old, I'm sure there's older people who do that all the time. By the time you get to retirement age it'll probably be 70 or higher the rate we're going so you would still have a good 30 years of work in you at the age of 40
Reply 4
You never stop training in medicine. You don't hit consultancy and it all stops. If the idea of learning when you're older is unattractive then maybe medicine isn't for you. Whilst studying for the GAMSAT in the hospital library I would be sat amongst many varities of staff of a wide range of ages until late at night studying.

People successfully start Graduate Entry Medicine in their 30s and 40s. It's a fantastic thing that there is no age discrimination in medicine despite its challenging and consistent workload.
Reply 5
There is someone I know of at my uni who is in their mid 40s and has started medicine. On my own course (biomed) we have a 50 year old although she isn't going into medicine. I agree with the posters above that in the space of 4-6 years (depending on your course) you will then be employed consistently.

I'm 26 myself and currently studying biomedical science to hopefully go onto graduate entry medicine. Age I think is daunting when we are so young but ultimately life goes very fast and many people are still attempting to go up the career ladder in their early to mid thirties.
You can go ahead with it and BE a consultant at age 40.

or

You can pass this opportunity and NEVER become a consultant.
Life is short - brutally so in some cases. While you have your health and the ability to pursue your passions you should do so, especially when you have the opportunity to (something that is denied many people). Sure, you will have to make some sacrifices but that would be the case no matter what you do. If this is what you think offers you the best chance of living a fulfilling life then do it. If something changes in the future and this stops being the case you can reassess your priorities.
We don't know about your financial and family circumstances but, in general, 26 is not too old by any means. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you only really start working when you are a fully trained GP or consultant. You will be directly contributing to patient care, making important decisions, and having lots of fun (!!) within weeks of finishing medical school. At some point you will become a GP/consultant but that is only really another step on your journey towards retirement.

I started graduate entry medical school when I was 22 but, having taken a slightly meandering (and much more interesting) route through training, I probably won't be a consultant until aged >40 either. This doesn't trouble me in the slightest - there are no prizes for being the youngest consultant in the NHS...
I have a place to study medicine next September (deferred from this year) and I will be 37 when I start with a husband and 2 kids in tow! Life's too short, grab every opportunity that comes your way or you might spend the rest of your life regretting it. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another 26 year old starting next September

The way I see it ... yes, I'll be nearly 10 years older than the other people on my course, and yes I won't start foundation training until I'm 30 or 31 ... but so what? I'll be a *doctor*, working in one of the most intellectually stimulating, personally rewarding, socially respected, and (despite what many would have you believe) most financially well compensated careers that exists. Lots of others will be in the same boat, too, once you add up the gap year, the foundation year, the intercalation, the repeat year, the second gap year after F2, the PhD, the maternity leave...

As a slightly older student, I'm a million times better at coping with stress and deadlines than I was at 18. If I'd have somehow managed to get into medicine then, I doubt I'd have lasted a term. Now, I've survived the finals of my chemistry degree and years working in publishing, as well as bereavement, relationship breakdown, relationship success, moving from my home country, and moving house 12 times. I have the emotionally capabilities and study skills to actually do the medicine degree, and the life experience to make sense of my clinical placements.

Something that the world of work has taught me is that all careers are stressful. If you want to make it in senior or management roles, you will be on the Blackberry all weekend, in until 9 pm many nights, and spending weeks on end flying all over the world to attend boring conferences and dull meetings. You won't, however, have the satisfaction of knowing that you helped someone manage their long-term disease or die a peaceful death.

Finally ... not everyone has to be an oro-maxillofacial surgeon. GP training is only 3 years, and you can work a 9-5 (well, 8.30-6.30) job as a salaried GP, take your money and travel as a locum, or build up management and business skills as a practice partner.
Pahaha...too old. Methusela here.

I started at 44 and now have finals in 8 weeks and then PfP, graduation and that will be that. F1 job hopefully starting in August. My son is now 6 nearly 7 and it has been hard to juggle family life and a medical student workload but so worth it imo.

Never too old to go for your dream.
Reply 12
Sweetchilli that is wonderful. How have you found it being older?. I am currently doing a degree in order to apply GEM. I'll be 40 if I get in first time if not and it takes a couple of cycles a bit older. I think people think I'm mental but I don't feel old at all. Every now and then I do wonder if I'm kidding myself but then when I hear things like this it inspires me again :-)
Reply 13
Original post by majestica1
Hi everyone, just looking for some advice if you could help :smile:

So I think I'll have a chance to start a degree in medicine next September which I'm majorly excited about as it's all I've ever wanted to do but life got in the way.

One thing that's dawning on me constantly is my age. I know I'm not old, but to be starting a programme that would (if I wanted to go into consultancy for example) would take me all the way to the age of 40.

What do you think? I have no doubt about my passion for this but there is something at the back of my head telling me that I'm going to jump into this journey as a young person and come out of it middle aged and I don't know what I'll have to sacrifice along the way in terms of relationships, family etc.

At the same time, I can't think of what else I'd be good at. Would it be better to have a backup at this stage? I'm also concerned about the financial aspect of this although I don't have a previous degree so I wouldn't have the graduate loan problem.

Am I too old to even be starting down this road when the majority will be 18? Not even necessarily in terms of age right now (being 26 as an undergrad doesn't bother me, being in my mid 30s and still in training for a career makes me wonder)

Any advice would be really gratefully received.

GO FOR IT no matter what!

You came this far and I have no doubt you will succeed, age is the least of your worries honestly life is short who cares as long you achieve your desires and dreams and live a life without regrets because you did all you can with all your efforts. good luck!!x
Go for it!
Reply 15
I started mine this year at the age of 22. I have even got a 17 year old classmate haha. I would say go for it if you're capable. Otherwise you'll be left wondering "what if" for the rest of your life.
Reply 16
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Latest

Trending

Trending