Poll: Do you support abolishing the UK army & forming an EU army controlled by Brussels?
No (28)
82.35%
Yes (6)
17.65%
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Germany call for a common EU army and wants to get rid of national armies including the British army, 'In the end, our goal must be a common European Army'

https://www.rt.com/news/327209-schau...poses-eu-army/
sunnydespair
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But will the UK stay in the eu?
Skeptique
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This will definitely cause the "Brexodus". For the Brits militarism is semi sacred!
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This has been on the cards for ages

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1450924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If this did happen, it would leave to a Brexit, and I suspect Britain would not be alone in leaving if we were forced to abolish our armies.

However I dont think it will happen.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's nonsense ideas like this which fuel support for Brexit. The UK public simply does not want to be part of some EU superstate.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I support a Eurozone military but I'd never support the UK joining a European military. They have even less resolve to act than we do.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I support a Eurozone military but I'd never support the UK joining a European military. They have even less resolve to act than we do.
Why?

Having worked with many of our European cousins I can assure you that I wouldn't trust most of them to stack blankets properly, let alone fight.
Studentus-anonymous
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Duncan2012)
It's nonsense ideas like this which fuel support for Brexit. The UK public simply does not want to be part of some EU superstate.
TBF we should have probably thought of that before we joined up, considering the EU has been a brazen super-state top-down construction project from the beginning.

Something about the mainland European psyche demands empire. Where war didn't achieve it for any one nationality, now their leaders/idle political elites are trying a different approach.

Severely mixed results so far. It seems the project is stumbling with the little issue of the general public's lack of desire or interest for such a thing.

C'est la vie.
TheArtofProtest
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Duncan2012)
Correction: The UK public does not want to be part of some EU superstate where another state is holding the reins.

It would be perfectly okay for the general public to support such ideas if the EU were staffed with Englishmen but woe onto those Frenchmen and Germans, who seem to be the driving force behind further integration into the EU.

For those of Nigel Farage's ilk (i.e: anti-EU), who ironically are elected to represent our EU interests despite being anti-EU, why don't they try and change the system in our favour from the inside, instead of simply complaining and grumbling about it?

They are, after all, in the best position to do so.
Sephiroth
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No thankyou. I can't think of a worse thing other than the inevitable abolishment of governments. Time to get out while we can.
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Liberal: collectivism isn't working! We need more individual liberty, more state sovereignty, decentralisation of authority and less statism!

EU: collectivism isn't working! We need more collectivism, more globalism, more migration and more multiculturalism.
callum_law
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We are too divided politically, socially and economically at the current time to have a single centralised EU military. We don't have shared goals yet. Not really. Once we have a Supreme Chancellor to unite our goals, such as Palpatine, then we can think about forming an army.
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by callum_law)
Once we have a Supreme Chancellor to unite our goals, such as Palpatine, then we can think about forming an army.
I prefer the title 'Fuhrer.' It somehow seems more apt.
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheCitizenAct)
I prefer the title 'Fuhrer.' It somehow seems more apt.
Or you could call it Prime Minister. It depends on your political bias and maturity, I guess.
Gears265
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wait, wasn't the pro EU swarms saying Farage was lying about these proposals, I bet no apology will be made. They wonder why we vote for UKIP, all I see is lies coming from the pro EU lot and everything Farage saying coming true. What has Cameron, Blair, Brown ect. ever said regarding the EU been true?
Gears265
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheArtofProtest)
Correction: The UK public does not want to be part of some EU superstate where another state is holding the reins.

It would be perfectly okay for the general public to support such ideas if the EU were staffed with Englishmen but woe onto those Frenchmen and Germans, who seem to be the driving force behind further integration into the EU.

For those of Nigel Farage's ilk (i.e: anti-EU), who ironically are elected to represent our EU interests despite being anti-EU, why don't they try and change the system in our favour from the inside, instead of simply complaining and grumbling about it?

They are, after all, in the best position to do so.
You are starting to sound more like Cameron every day, when will you learn the EU will never change, it is only heading one way and that is towards federalisation. I am starting to wonder if you Tories and Labourites know this but deceive everyone or are just plain ******ed.
TheArtofProtest
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gears265)
You are starting to sound more like Cameron every day, when will you learn the EU will never change, it is only heading one way and that is towards federalisation. I am starting to wonder if you Tories and Labourites know this but deceive everyone or are just plain ******ed.
So federalization is something that you oppose?
Josb
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
An earlier attempt of an European army was made in 1950s under the auspices of the USA, with the European Defence Community, but the French Communists and De Gaulle rejected the project.

Germany has a joke army, which they have underfunded for decades, their planes cannot even fly as a result. They are also reluctant to intervene in any military conflict by waiting for months before taking the decision to send 12 men and two planes, often with the condition that they don't serve on the front line. Germany should continue to stay out of military matters.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Would the UK have bombed Syria if it wasn't to be seen to be "standing shoulder to shoulder" with France?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (675)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads