The Student Room Group

engineer into finance

hello!

I am looking for a finance career parth after my engineering degree (1st from a low uni). Do I stand any chances?

Also, which role could I choose that will be lucrative? I like problem solving and dealing with numbers, but not so much facing customers and trying to sell products.

Thanks!
he might be able to help U
@Princepieman
Original post by studos
hello!

I am looking for a finance career parth after my engineering degree (1st from a low uni). Do I stand any chances?

Also, which role could I choose that will be lucrative? I like problem solving and dealing with numbers, but not so much facing customers and trying to sell products.

Thanks!

I'd just try to apply for finance grad schemes at companies (Tesco, Sainsbury's, Unilever etc) to be fairly honest. Either that, or look into commercial banking graduate schemes.

Your 'low uni' will hold you back for traditional high finance jobs like IB, Trading, Asset Management etc. Not to mention you're a bit late in the recruitment cycle (for grad and internships) for these fields. If you really wanted to break in, I'd look into doing a Masters at a top European business school or at a target university in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Would these finance grad schemes pay eventually salaries similar to law or IB?

I am not looking to apply now, but after 1-2 years.

So my low uni will exclude me from high finance jobs altogether? That's so disappointing....
Original post by studos
Would these finance grad schemes pay eventually salaries similar to law or IB?

I am not looking to apply now, but after 1-2 years.

So my low uni will exclude me from high finance jobs altogether? That's so disappointing....

No, they'll rise up but not at the pace of either of those fields.

What year are you in? I need to know more about you before I can say anything concrete.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have the same problem,mechanical engineer from Greece here,but ready to make a turn and attend a MSc in Finance.The thing is,i dont have specific goal in my mind and finance is very broad so i would like some info about the different sectors,i think that will help me choose the right business school and career path.

I know for sure IB is not for me,the long hours and the pressure is not something i could get by.I look for something more "work-life balance" cause i think that even if you make a lot of money,its no use if you dont have the time or the energy to spend it.

Anyway its my first post here,i would love some help,meanwhile i will take a look at other topics,maybe there are others with the same problem! And sorry for my bad english.
Original post by studos
hello!

Thanks!

I thought you were interested in a career in law 👀

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending